Archived Open Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting get frustrated I have open availability except for one day . Getting under 25 hrs lately . & Others in my area can only work early or closing getting same amount of hours !!

Cross train and talk to leadership but becareful whining can cauze more harm than good. I have complete open availability and am currently at 20hrs for the last two months.

Those with closed availability are getting 25 to 30 because of reasons I am not clear on. I dont voice my annoyance or fears of being homless because it always results in retaliation with my leadership.

Now there are not supposed to do that rules to talk about but lets be honest here. Leadership rules all and they are in turn ruled but the crumbs corporate gives them. This year has been the worst I have ever seen but things improve come april. If you cant survive on spot alone that long try to find a small supplemntal job.

Believe me I am the first to post a frustrated thread about hours (pretty sure I did it last year to) ventining helps but its a sink or swim situation until april really for everyone. Sounds bad but I feel better knowing its not just my store with an agenda :/

I’m starting get frustrated I have open availability except for one day . Getting under 25 hrs lately . & Others in my area can only work early or closing getting same amount of hours !!

Cross train in other work centers. I wanted to learn everything and its how I got alot of hours. I always got the "hours are tight" speach but I got what I wanted.

Thanks aronoiiel & it’s good to know I’m not alone . That’s awful with open availability. I’m getting my taxes and have cash saved . But will start looking else where .

I’m one of those people with limited availability who is getting plenty of hours but I think it’s because I’m cross trained in a variety of areas, specifically beauty bc they have hours they have to use and apparently can only use beauty trained TMs.

No hours in hardlines this time of year. Our beauty got 130 the last schedule for 6 aisles. Hardlines only got 180 for over 2/3s of the salesfloor.

Can't stress enough to cross train and talk to other schedule writers about using you.

Our shift swap board is usually full of people wanting to get rid of their shifts.

I'm cross trained for 6 different positions, but rarely get used in more than 2.

Same. I know every position on the front end but I only ever see two areas on each week's schedule. But I'm getting 30+ hours on average so I'm fine with this.

Hardlines rarely come up on Branch. We have a TM quitting (his other job went full time) so 4 HL shifts went up for his hours week after next. I snagged one.

Though an hour long shift from 4-5pm was posted for one day, which is just weird. This is a thing that happens occasionally, though, 1 hour shifts posted. Is that a thing or likely just an error?

Same, I have open availability and yet I am only getting about 20 hours per week. I talked to my STL about this and she encouraged me to cross-train in order to pick up more hours. I am not really sure when hours will increase though.

Definitely don't be afraid to talk to your ETL-GE. At my store we're so hard to hire that we basically hire everyone. Anyone with even an ounce of talent goes to the salesfloor. The slow ones, give-zero-f*cks, and idiots become cashiers. I have cashiers at my store that are complete crap but get nearly 40 hours because they're the only ones with good availabilities. I know the softlines ETL is always over by 300 hours after writing her schedule and then has to spend the day cutting it down and complaining that her TMs are unhappy with how few hours they're getting. I told her straight up that I can give them hours as cashiers. If they don't want to cashier then they don't really need the hours.

The O/N team that pushes softlines uses her hours instead of Replenishment hours. Basically 2 departments trying to run on hours allocated for 1 department.

Cross train in other work centers. I wanted to learn everything and its how I got alot of hours. I always got the "hours are tight" speach but I got what I wanted.

This! The more you know the more valuable you are. If you're leadership can only schedule one person in a block of time do they schedule the person who only knows how to do one thing or the person who knows how to do everything? They'll go with the latter every time because the fewer people you can put on the floor the more versatile they need to be.

A couple of things here......
First, talk to your SLTL and let them know you are willing to come in whenever they need it (excluding the unavailable day). Let them know if there's a call-out from another TM; you are willing to fill it. If there's a big adjacency w/ 27 POGs; you are willing to come in to help. Be "that TM" that's truly AVAILABLE for the needs of the business. If you come across as self-serving, and only want 8-5 M-F because of your "open" availability; they'll overlook you for the extra hours.
Which brings me to the next point....
Second, like @Bosch implied......maybe there's a reason YOU are not getting a lot of hours. Maybe you aren't the "rockstar" TM that your Leadership wants to give the hours to. Something to think about.

I like to give "extra" hours to my top TMs who out-perform in all areas..... and who have excellent attendance. Win-win.

I have open availability and keep getting 30 hrs/week. I'm not complaining but I would like to crosstrain in other areas, just to learn. I've been trying to get into market, and have talked to my TL, the market TL, and HR TL. My softlines TLs have basically said I can't go anywhere because they don't want me to leave softlines and see me as a future softlines TL. The market TL has been trying to get me into market for months btw.
Is trying to crosstrain in other areas worth further pursuing or should I just stick with softlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back