Archived Opening at Midnight on Black Friday 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hereby pronounce that A72Challenger is a credible source. I would also like to announce that crow tastes horrible.

I am sticking with a2, his sources are good in my book. We had the calendar with the hours of spot through Xmas before the big change.

Last edited:
Yea, retail has pretty decided f uck Thanksgiving it's Christmas now.
As a Jew this sucks balls.

We were already told at our store that we will be open at Midnight too. This isn't so bad except for the fact that weeks earlier we were told that no one would get Thanksgiving or Christmas off no matter what. I suspect we will get alot of call offs on those days.

We were already told at our store that we will be open at Midnight too. This isn't so bad except for the fact that weeks earlier we were told that no one would get Thanksgiving or Christmas off no matter what. I suspect we will get alot of call offs on those days.

If it were up to me I would term anyone who called in on Black Friday.

Say if you work in the PFresh area, and get honestly sick in February for example, it's okay to call in. You're actually suppose to call in, because they don't want you working around food, while sick. But if you happen to get honestly sick on Black Friday you shouldn't call in? I think that's a load of crap.

What if you eat some tainted turkey on Thanksgiving and get food poisoning, show up to work on Black Friday half dead?

Say if you work in the PFresh area, and get honestly sick in February for example, it's okay to call in. You're actually suppose to call in, because they don't want you working around food, while sick. But if you happen to get honestly sick on Black Friday you shouldn't call in? I think that's a load of crap.

What if you eat some tainted turkey on Thanksgiving and get food poisoning, show up to work on Black Friday half dead?

Yep, show up half dead.

Basically it's cut throat when you work retail during the holidays. At my store our normal staffing doubles for holiday, and if any of the newbies call off sick on Black Friday they will (and do) get termed the next working day. We make them sign off on papers making them understand that they are at will and must be available to work the holidays and that they are blackout for time off.

Now, like Imerzan says, if you are truly sick it may be best to show up ill and get sent home. But, for the most part we really do not have any problems with people calling off. In the last two years I have spent in HR we usually put our poor performers or people we suspect will call off or no show in a slot that will not effect the rest of the stores performance.. ;)

I'm starting at 11pm at Thanksgiving night @ Electronics, can't wait! :curtsey:

Plan for sales at my store is $1.2m

My store supposed to be doing 700,000ish. I wondering with the new black friday hours will they up the sales forecast for the day?

and throw up on the TL's shoes...

The Walmart where I work is having its first Black Friday sale at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving night. We'll be open all day on Thanksgiving too. Oh the joys of working at a Walmart Super Center that is open around the clock!
We close at some point on Christmas Eve (not sure what time) and stay closed until December 26 but other than that, we are always open.

Which thread to post in, hmm..

Bottom line, We have not been told ANYTHING about our hours for Black Friday yet. Although it's not mandatory to be told of it yet, it still would be PROPER. I do not care either way, I just don't like fellow TMs being duped into believing that they won't have to come in until 3:45am (like normal). That's if the midnight hour is ALL stores...

Which thread to post in, hmm..

Bottom line, We have not been told ANYTHING about our hours for Black Friday yet. Although it's not mandatory to be told of it yet, it still would be PROPER. I do not care either way, I just don't like fellow TMs being duped into believing that they won't have to come in until 3:45am (like normal). That's if the midnight hour is ALL stores...

Go to Workbench -> Shared Tools -> Store Hours

On that page you can see which "schedule" (i.e. schedule 2A, 2B etc.) your store is and print off the entire holiday hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back