Archived Opportunity to go to NFL game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to go to an NFL game next weekend, but my stepmom doesn't wanna buy tickets until my shift is excused or covered, and obviously we can't wait too long. Is there anyway to miss this shift without it taking a huge cut on my record...? I already posted it on the shift swap board, but nobody ever picks up those shifts... would it be best to talk to HR when im there on Monday?

Also, don't know if it matters or not, but the game isn't just for fun or something, it's my dads birthday and all he wants is to go to a football game with me...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I know if I talked to HR on Monday and said I would miss it, it wouldn't be a NCNS, but is it still bad to do? And would it be better to just call in Sunday morning saying I'm sick? Or is it better to let them know a week ahead of time but tell them I'm going to a football game, or call out the day of and tell them I'm sick?

In the perfect world you'd try to get someone to cover your shift but remodels are starting and with all new E2E TMs its not possible usually

Whatever you do, don't tell them you are going to a game. Just call out normally when the day comes. Everyone has a life and everyone calls out eventually so don't even worry about because I bet no one in the store is giving up concert tickets or whatever to make sure your probably short shift goes a little easier

In the perfect world you'd try to get someone to cover your shift but remodels are starting and with all new E2E TMs its not possible usually

Whatever you do, don't tell them you are going to a game. Just call out normally when the day comes. Everyone has a life and everyone calls out eventually so don't even worry about because I bet no one in the store is giving up concert tickets or whatever to make sure your probably short shift goes a little easier
But wouldn't it be better to attempt to give them time to find someone to cover...? And I kinda already posted on the shift swap board... so they would know anyways.

But wouldn't it be better to attempt to give them time to find someone to cover...? And I kinda already posted on the shift swap board... so they would know anyways.
If you posted on the board I say leave it.

How long have you been working? Are you under you 90 days?

If you posted on the board I say leave it.

How long have you been working? Are you under you 90 days?
I originally posted on the board about going to the game but just changed it to say 'willing to swap'. I've been here for right around 4 months now, never called out, never NCNSed, nothing, and all my TL's and ETL's love me, which is why I feel like I should just let HR know instead? But I'm not sure if HR would think it's better that I'm trying to give them time? Maybe we need an HR opinion... @HRZone

Yeah, don't tell anyone you're going to the game. One time I had to leave work early to go to a game. I didn't tell anyone why I had to leave early, though. :)

Yeah, don't tell anyone you're going to the game. One time I had to leave work early to go to a game. I didn't tell anyone why I had to leave early, though. :)
So do you recommend telling HR that I won't be able to make it for that shift...? Or just calling out day of? Because it's already posted on the shift swap board, so if I call out day of, that might look pretty sketchy..

Honestly i would talk to my TL first before HR.... i would say hey my dad bday is next weekend and my wants me to go to a game with him at the last minute... i posted my shift on the swap board but no one has taken it.... do you know anyone who would want the shift.... Hopefully the TL is close with his team and could text team members or even give u names to ask...... if he doesnt know anyone then i would go to the HR team member.... maybe she/he would know team members interested....... if they cant find anyone then u have to work cause they know the truth and wont look good if u call out.

Honestly i would talk to my TL first before HR.... i would say hey my dad bday is next weekend and my wants me to go to a game with him at the last minute... i posted my shift on the swap board but no one has taken it.... do you know anyone who would want the shift.... Hopefully the TL is close with his team and could text team members or even give u names to ask...... if he doesnt know anyone then i would go to the HR team member.... maybe she/he would know team members interested....... if they cant find anyone then u have to work cause they know the truth and wont look good if u call out.
But would it be easier to tell HR something 'personal' came up and I won't be able to work next Sunday? They cant really question it if I say it's personal...

Personal is pretty vauge and usually doesn't happen a week in advance.

I recommended just waiting. I guess you could say you have a doctors appointment that day or something. It's believable and usually are made months in advance

Youre not going to get written up for missing one day past your 90. That's why they tell you call out. Future notice is always good but as said if you don't have a good excuse it'll worst than not showing up if you call out because no one can take your shift

I don't think doctor's appointment will work on a Sunday since doctors don't usually work on that day.

Can't you work from 6-9?

Shit you're right. I'd just keep quiet and call out
But if I want someone to take my shift; it's on the board, and HR can see it, won't it be suspicious if I call out after having the same shift sit on the board for a week?

Stores are all so different. At mine, telling your leader that the tickets were bought, and you just found out about the game late would probably get you some help finding coverage. Coming off the hiring event, there may be a couple of newbies who could work, but aren't on the schedule yet. Our HRTM has put new hires on the schedule for tms in cases like yours. Try to see if there is an orientation next week, and if a new tm could be given your shift.

I feel honesty is the way to go here. You said you originally posted on swap shift as going to a game. Did you change that before anyone saw that. Have you mentioned to anyone that you have this opportunity to go to a game. I would tell my tl. Be upfront. I feel it may bite you in the ass if you aren't. You won't be able to talk about this fun day with your family if you lie. Do the right thing.

Stores are all so different. At mine, telling your leader that the tickets were bought, and you just found out about the game late would probably get you some help finding coverage. Coming off the hiring event, there may be a couple of newbies who could work, but aren't on the schedule yet. Our HRTM has put new hires on the schedule for tms in cases like yours. Try to see if there is an orientation next week, and if a new tm could be given your shift.
I honestly feel like this is the best idea, tickets are like $200, if I tell HR my step mom bought them before checking with me, I feel like HR will probably be pretty understanding, especially since I'm giving them a whole week to find a replacement.

It may not work but can you come in earlier to do your tasks? One time I had jury duty and my ETL told me just come in a couple of hours earlier than my scheduled shift (it was for plano).

It may not work but can you come in earlier to do your tasks? One time I had jury duty and my ETL told me just come in a couple of hours earlier than my scheduled shift (it was for plano).
This would be great if it was for something like Plano, unfortunately it's just a normal HL shift.

But if I want someone to take my shift; it's on the board, and HR can see it, won't it be suspicious if I call out after having the same shift sit on the board for a week?
Maybe

I think you're making this harder than it needs to be

Do want to go to the game with your dad or do you want to make 80 bucks before taxes?

You have two options for the former. Take your name off the board, and call out the day off, or tell everyone and if they can't someone, take the hit of being someone that would call out to go to a game

I'd do the former because your job shouldn't interfere with your life.

I'd say take your name off the board, Mid shifts are hard to cover because most people either open or close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back