Archived Orientation-- what to expect, bring & wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my orientation coming up pretty soon and was wondering:

1) What to expect and what goes on at the orientation?

2) I was told to bring my SSN, Photo ID & proof of legal ability to work. Is there anything else that you recommend bringing to orientation such as bank account number to set up payroll or marriage certificate for anything relating to the dependent? Anything else?

3) I assume I should wear red and khaki, even to the orientation? What about footwear, I have black dress shoes and black running shoes-- does it matter which ones I wear?

If it matters, the position is for O/N.

Thanks in advance.

I GOT THIS TEAM.

I have my orientation coming up pretty soon and was wondering:

1) What to expect and what goes on at the orientation?

2) I was told to bring my SSN, Photo ID & proof of legal ability to work. Is there anything else that you recommend bringing to orientation such as bank account number to set up payroll or marriage certificate for anything relating to the dependent? Anything else?

3) I assume I should wear red and khaki, even to the orientation? What about footwear, I have black dress shoes and black running shoes-- does it matter which ones I wear?

If it matters, the position is for O/N.

Thanks in advance.

1. Get ready to spend an hour or two watching a funny cheesy target video on things like workplace policies guest servicing while on duty and other subjects such as sexual harrasment. At my orentation there was candy, and a nice tour around the store.

2. You can setup Direct Deposit after you get your TM number and certain things straighted out. it takes about 2-3 weeks for it to actually start direct deposit. I would wait on that untill like after your first paycheck (Thats just me). Other then what you have listed you should be fine.

3. Red and Khaki also im pretty sure either or is fine its not like you will be working that day just chilling out watching videos .

Btw welcome to target.

1. -- What to expect ? -- Just be happy you have a job

2. -- Along with the other paper work - your Last Will and Testament

3. -- I was ordered to wear red & khaki - even though it wasn't gonna be the dress code for me - first and only time in my life I did --- when it was done - on my way out - I put the brand new polo shirt in the trash bin - I did feel cleaner but that Target smell is still there

4. -- A real good sense of humour - your gonna need it

5. -- "Pride" ( leave it home ) - it wont help - in fact it just gets in the way

6. -- "Your Soul" ( all is lost ) -- Wear very tight underwear - it will be sucked from you daily - you'll know when it's gone - you'll want to be an ETL

7. -- "Feelings" ( use them sparingly ) -- When you start you'll find some people you will actually like - some you wont be able to get a handle on ------ don't try ---- see # 6.

8. -- "Bullet proof Vest" - double it up and just wear it on your back - it will become a pin cushion in time

9. -- "Lying" - get use to it - you were lied to already

10. -- "You Lying" - I don't recommend it - not because it's just not right - because it always bites you later

11. -- "Trust" - NO ONE

12. -- "Food Avenue." ( Tomain Ave. ) - never ever criticize anything there

13. -- "Your STL" ( God's representative on earth ) see # 19

14. -- "Mouth wash and Deodorant" ( if you smoke ) Use them your team mates wont thank you ---- but if you don't you'll find them with store recipes taped to them left for you in various places

15. -- "ETL's" ( demigod's ) - never question what they say - they answer to a higher authority - See #13

16. -- "Plan-O-Gram" ( don't question it ) - there's a rime and reason for everything

17. -- "SFT" ( the old SBS ) - this is the store's building's maintenance guy - he is responsible for repairing "EVERYTHING" in the store - walk into your store with your eye's closed - then open one - everything you see he is responsible for. He can be your best friend. But --- never make direct eye contact ( we hate that ) Always say "Hello" and leave it at that. Being simple folk - we respond to kindness - a cup of coffee goes a long way. Never lie - if you brake something - tell him or her - that goes a long way. When you first meet your SFT - say "Is it you" ? if it's me I'll blink 5 times with my right eye - the left one is constantly scanning for stuff to fix ( some of us can stand in the middle of a bus and see both ends at the same time -- it's a gift ) -- You'll also notice we all walk a little funny -- see # 6
Never call us "Mr. Target" we get that from the guest's ( Guest's -- what is a guest - see # 18 )

18. -- "Target Speak" ( secret language ) - there's a hand shake too -- you will find over time it will creep into your private every day speech - that's the start -- see # 6

19. -- "Spot" ( GOD ) - is code for the Bull Terrier mascot - its not her real name - it's just for the Target Corp. in general. Never call an ETL Spot - they hate that. But call your HR Spot - they love that

20. -- "Photos" ( of you ) start taking them in your bathroom mirror once a week - you will notice a change over time See # "you should know this by now )

21. -- "Read Dante's Inferno" ( you know that sign above the gate ) the unofficial Target hand book --

22. -- "This List" ( copy and print ) check off everything that's happens and circle in Target red what doesn't - I need to revise it every so often --

23. -- "Good Luck"

24. -- I like even numbers

Last edited:
/me does a golf clap for SomebodysSlave.
!Brilliant!

I GOT THIS TEAM.

1. Get ready to spend an hour or two watching a funny cheesy target video on things like workplace policies guest servicing while on duty and other subjects such as sexual harrasment. At my orentation there was candy, and a nice tour around the store.

2. You can setup Direct Deposit after you get your TM number and certain things straighted out. it takes about 2-3 weeks for it to actually start direct deposit. I would wait on that untill like after your first paycheck (Thats just me). Other then what you have listed you should be fine.

3. Red and Khaki also im pretty sure either or is fine its not like you will be working that day just chilling out watching videos .

Btw welcome to target.

Thanks for the info Carts-- had my orientation earlier today and it went without a problem.

Got my first schedule, start on Thursday.

*sigh*. I had my drug test two weeks ago, passed, and still no word on when orientation will be. When I talked to HR on Thursday, they were waiting for the results for another guy. Now? I'm wondering if they still intend to hire me.

*sigh*. I had my drug test two weeks ago, passed, and still no word on when orientation will be. When I talked to HR on Thursday, they were waiting for the results for another guy. Now? I'm wondering if they still intend to hire me.

its all good - we have to wait that long too sometimes - but they should go ahead and do your orientation now. Call and ask.

1. -- What to expect ? -- Just be happy you have a job

2. -- Along with the other paper work - your Last Will and Testament

3. -- I was ordered to wear red & khaki - even though it wasn't gonna be the dress code for me - first and only time in my life I did --- when it was done - on my way out - I put the brand new polo shirt in the trash bin - I did feel cleaner but that Target smell is still there

4. -- A real good sense of humour - your gonna need it

5. -- "Pride" ( leave it home ) - it wont help - in fact it just gets in the way

6. -- "Your Soul" ( all is lost ) -- Wear very tight underwear - it will be sucked from you daily - you'll know when it's gone - you'll want to be an ETL

7. -- "Feelings" ( use them sparingly ) -- When you start you'll find some people you will actually like - some you wont be able to get a handle on ------ don't try ---- see # 6.

8. -- "Bullet proof Vest" - double it up and just wear it on your back - it will become a pin cushion in time

9. -- "Lying" - get use to it - you were lied to already

10. -- "You Lying" - I don't recommend it - not because it's just not right - because it always bites you later

11. -- "Trust" - NO ONE

12. -- "Food Avenue." ( Tomain Ave. ) - never ever criticize anything there

13. -- "Your STL" ( God's representative on earth ) see # 19

14. -- "Mouth wash and Deodorant" ( if you smoke ) Use them your team mates wont thank you ---- but if you don't you'll find them with store recipes taped to them left for you in various places

15. -- "ETL's" ( demigod's ) - never question what they say - they answer to a higher authority - See #13

16. -- "Plan-O-Gram" ( don't question it ) - there's a rime and reason for everything

17. -- "SFT" ( the old SBS ) - this is the store's building's maintenance guy - he is responsible for repairing "EVERYTHING" in the store - walk into your store with your eye's closed - then open one - everything you see he is responsible for. He can be your best friend. But --- never make direct eye contact ( we hate that ) Always say "Hello" and leave it at that. Being simple folk - we respond to kindness - a cup of coffee goes a long way. Never lie - if you brake something - tell him or her - that goes a long way. When you first meet your SFT - say "Is it you" ? if it's me I'll blink 5 times with my right eye - the left one is constantly scanning for stuff to fix ( some of us can stand in the middle of a bus and see both ends at the same time -- it's a gift ) -- You'll also notice we all walk a little funny -- see # 6
Never call us "Mr. Target" we get that from the guest's ( Guest's -- what is a guest - see # 18 )

18. -- "Target Speak" ( secret language ) - there's a hand shake too -- you will find over time it will creep into your private every day speech - that's the start -- see # 6

19. -- "Spot" ( GOD ) - is code for the Bull Terrier mascot - its not her real name - it's just for the Target Corp. in general. Never call an ETL Spot - they hate that. But call your HR Spot - they love that

20. -- "Photos" ( of you ) start taking them in your bathroom mirror once a week - you will notice a change over time See # "you should know this by now )

21. -- "Read Dante's Inferno" ( you know that sign above the gate ) the unofficial Target hand book --

22. -- "This List" ( copy and print ) check off everything that's happens and circle in Target red what doesn't - I need to revise it every so often --

23. -- "Good Luck"

24. -- I like even numbers

Pure brilliance. I particularly like your comments on the ETL's and the STL. I was rolling with laughter but the sad part is it's so true.

Anyway welcome to the team ChrisFol. You'll be fine. It'll all be explained in the orientation. They'll cover everything from where to park, what to wear (red and khaki), and what is expected of you. It's really laid back. All you need is yourself a red shirt, and khaki pants. No shorts. Only cart attendants on duty can wear shorts. The cheesy video is boring and common sense material imo. I got some comical relief when the short asian dude is talking about a coworker in the sexual harassment part. That was pretty much the only entertaining part of the video from my recollection. Have fun.

Pure brilliance. I particularly like your comments on the ETL's and the STL. I was rolling with laughter but the sad part is it's so true.

Anyway welcome to the team ChrisFol. You'll be fine. It'll all be explained in the orientation. They'll cover everything from where to park, what to wear (red and khaki), and what is expected of you. It's really laid back. All you need is yourself a red shirt, and khaki pants. No shorts. Only cart attendants on duty can wear shorts. The cheesy video is boring and common sense material imo. I got some comical relief when the short asian dude is talking about a coworker in the sexual harassment part. That was pretty much the only entertaining part of the video from my recollection. Have fun.

You too!!??

*Shes a very accommodating young lady*

HAHAHAH I tried my hardest not too laugh.

its all good - we have to wait that long too sometimes - but they should go ahead and do your orientation now. Call and ask.

So I waited a week from the last time I called (don't want to pester too much). Now, there's no one else to go through orientation with (so much for the other person). So hr person a said they would talk to hr person b about getting me set up "soon." So we'll see.

This is slightly complicated by the fact that I leave on vacation in a week.

Edited: spoke too soon! I have my first day of orientation and training the day before I leave for ten days! Woot! and Doh!

Last edited:
They hired me knowing that was non-negotiable and said they could work around it. Believe me, they will be reminded!

Yay! Orientation tomorrow! HR called while I was in the shower to remind me, only SHE had forgotten the time, so now I have to be up even earlier. Ha. Anyway, then she told me that after the 3 hour orientation, she'd try to get me a shift on the floor. Umm...So I just get tossed into the fire and hope for the best?! Eek!

At one point they wanted me to learn the register ---
0a9a9574.gif

I told them -- there's 3 things you never want me to handle --
rolleyes5.gif

Money
92b54717.gif

Explosives
e8712c9f.gif

Women
Sado.gif

SBS, I'd print & sell tickets to see someone attempt to put you on a training register.

Last edited:
Training register would be fine. But when she said she'd see about giving me an actual shift tomorrow, well, I wonder how she thinks that's going to happen without, oh, some training. Hahaha.

SBS, I'd print & sell tickets to see someone attempt to put you on a training register.

Put me down for two -- I'd like to see that myself
thumbsup.gif

( "no we wouldn't - it would be a disaster" - "Come on it would be fun" -- "You just would like them to laugh at us again" -- "Come on -do they laugh very long"? -- "That true" -- "So two tickets then" -- "Yeah - why not -- we need to get out of the cage" -- "OK" )

Yea Two tickets - Please
dd36b7e7.gif

You all crack me up. I seriously hope my fellow employees...ermm...team members are as cool as you all.

Put me down for two -- I'd like to see that myself
thumbsup.gif

( "no we wouldn't - it would be a disaster" - "Come on it would be fun" -- "You just would like them to laugh at us again" -- "Come on -do they laugh very long"? -- "That true" -- "So two tickets then" -- "Yeah - why not -- we need to get out of the cage" -- "OK" )

Yea Two tickets - Please
dd36b7e7.gif

I think I'd sell popcorn and maybe keep a dartgun with animal tranquilizer handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back