Archived Orientation?

How long after hire was your orientation?

• 2 weeks or less.

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • 2 weeks or more.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired about a week ago, and there was an orientation a couple days after that but it was too soon for me to be in that one which I understood. So they told me there was one on the 7th and they were going to wait for HR to confirm. I called them today because I hadn't gotten a call from them yet so I wanted to make sure I was scheduled. Apparently HR didn't contact them yet and she said she hopes she hears from HR in the next 30 minutes and that she would call me back. Got no call. Does anybody know when I might go to orientation because it would have been nice to work at target, but I have another job opportunity I can try to get in a few days. And sorry for the long post. :oops:

P.S. I was hired as a cashier and was going to get cross trained to Guest Services, and they said someone who worked in GS was leaving, so I thought I was going to be starting fairly soon since I thought they'd need me.

My Orientation was 2 days after I was hired but sometimes it's not that quickly. At my store it all depends on when the HR ETL is available and if we have payroll hours for orientation.
Our cashier orientations are usually a full 8 hour day, first some videos, paperwork and a tour of the store. This usually takes 3 hours. After that it's computer training. It depends on how quickly you move through the training and tests. Some people can get it done in an hour, some take longer. When that is completed, you get register "training". It includes shadowing someone for 30 minutes and then you are on your own :eek:.
I am guessing your store doesn't have the payroll hours this week and they have to get approval from the STL to get orientation/training hours. They probably DO need you badly but can't go ahead until they get those hours.
I would call again and find out when your HR ETL is available and talk to him/her.

Cashier position is very boring but the service desk is fun. Well I think it is lol.

Good luck and I hope you get your orientation soon!

At my store they usually do them once a month, but if there are a lot of hires for lets say seasonal hires then they will do them sooner and more of

My store usually does 1 or 2 a month, and they call to confirm your orientation after you pass your background/drug test. (Although I heard they may have stopped doing the drug tests?) Could have been some situation where the ETL was meeting with someone and the HRTM was leaving in 30 minutes and they didn't get to talk about it before she had to leave. If you don't hear from her tomorrow morning give her a call and see if she can tell you anything else.

My store usually does 1 or 2 a month, and they call to confirm your orientation after you pass your background/drug test. (Although I heard they may have stopped doing the drug tests?) Could have been some situation where the ETL was meeting with someone and the HRTM was leaving in 30 minutes and they didn't get to talk about it before she had to leave. If you don't hear from her tomorrow morning give her a call and see if she can tell you anything else.

Only TPS gets drug tested, we can't schedule you for your orientation until your background check comes back. In most cases its very quick, about 24 hours but I have seen them take longer. I am an HRTM and the situation you described happens all the time. HR ETL is stuck in a meeting and I have to clock out because overtime is a not allowed and we can't discuss anything.

Yeah, no drug test or anything. And I guess waiting for the background check makes sense. I would have called them sooner because i usually dont wait the day before for these kind of things, but I figured since the 3 day weekend was coming up, HR wouldn't be able to get that information anyway. I'm always so nervous about seeming too persistent so I might wait until tomorrow to call just to see when the next orientation is because if they had one on the 2nd and the 7th, maybe they'll have one again soon. Thanks for all the info and advice. :D

Well said LUR, as a hard to hire store we sometimes wait on orientations since it can be a waste of resources holding one for a single person.

Really just depends on timing. My orientation was about a week and half later. Meanwhile my friend who just got hired had his two days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back