Archived Outstanding review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my review today. Not what I wanted. TL said it should have been EX (it was an E) and she tried to fight for it but did so too late. Said it would be an EX next year. I do NOT feel I deserved an E. Made me feel good that my TL felt the same way. These reviews suck.

Same thing here, but I'm on the TL side. I fought with my ETL on three separate occasions for a particular one of my team members to get an EX. I spelled out exactly why, and why I thought the other two team members that did get EXs, weren't quite there yet. Three times. But they weren't hearing it. The ETL even had someone else do that team member's review because of how strongly I felt against them getting an E.

Same thing here, but I'm on the TL side. I fought with my ETL on three separate occasions for a particular one of my team members to get an EX. I spelled out exactly why, and why I thought the other two team members that did get EXs, weren't quite there yet. Three times. But they weren't hearing it. The ETL even had someone else do that team member's review because of how strongly I felt against them getting an E.

Wow. At least you know you gave it your best shot!

Then I'm still surprised (and pissed) that I only got an E. I've implemented several changes which streamlined our process making it more efficient. I'm not the team lead but everyone treats me like one. Well, best team survey here I come.

Then I'm still surprised (and pissed) that I only got an E. I've implemented several changes which streamlined our process making it more efficient. I'm not the team lead but everyone treats me like one. Well, best team survey here I come.

Your tl may of had no choice. They gave you an ex rating & shot down by etl-hr.

Your tl may of had no choice. They gave you an ex rating & shot down by etl-hr.

That I understand. I'm pissed at the higher ups...

what is the point? Target has their systems and that's good enough for them.

what is the point? Target has their systems and that's good enough for them.

I tried explaining that to my ETL and he doesn't give a s***. Core roles don't matter. Work centers don't matter. We are all here to do the same thing, so anybody can do anything that needs to be done. According to him.

HE got an EX.

Basically scores are decided and then reviews are written to match the score. Sometimes they don't match, but the score remains unchanged. The whole review process is flawed in that instead of judging team members against an impartial standard and scoring accordingly, team members are essentially ranked against one another and matched with the score distribution. Obviously it's not quite this simplistic, but that's the review process in broad strokes.

In my district, anyway.

how would you know that?

I saw it.

Basically scores are decided and then reviews are written to match the score. Sometimes they don't match, but the score remains unchanged. The whole review process is flawed in that instead of judging team members against an impartial standard and scoring accordingly, team members are essentially ranked against one another and matched with the score distribution. Obviously it's not quite this simplistic, but that's the review process in broad strokes.

In my district, anyway.

Same here, and probably everywhere. I think it's just the Target standard. It really does need to be objective though. Each question should have a 1 through 5 attached to it alongside the letter. Add it all up, and at the end, you get the overall score. They can throw their score allotment bell curve requirement and "raise budget" out the window, suck it up, and go f*** themselves. The interviews work on a scoring system vaguely similar to this.

If raises were quarterly (or at least semi-annually), I wouldn't mind delivering IE reviews so much; especially the undeserved ones. At least it would add up.

Each question should have a 1 through 5 attached to it alongside the letter. Add it all up, and at the end, you get the overall score.

Just as an info point--the system actually used to be like this. It changed shortly after I started, so, say eight or nine years ago? This change definitely happened before they shifted to the all-reviews-at-once system (everyone used to get their review on their anniversary, which meant leaders were constantly writing reviews all year long--I imagine that sucked for them, but it was before I became a TL, so I can't speak from experience).

The problem is, even with that system, the scores were still determined before the review was written. The only practical effect is that the person writing the review had to adjust category scores up or down in order to get the points total into the proper range, which is even worse than the current system. I would have no problem (under the current system) with giving someone a review that has, say, 1 U, 5 IE, 13 E, and 1 EX in the individual scores, but "adds up to" an IE overall. If you do well in lots of categories, but poorly enough in the most important ones (ones more directly related to your workcenter, say), then it's totally appropriate for a "mostly Es" review to "add up to" an IE. (For instance, for a flow team member, an IE in the sense of urgency category is NOT counterbalanced by an E/EX or even an O in the "follows the dress code/looks acceptable" category.) Under the current system, I could deliver that review, with meaningful feedback on each category and overall. In the old system, though, that many Es would have probably bumped the overall score into the E range, which means I'd have to artificially shift a bunch of the individual scores down (though they don't deserve to be) in order to get the total score down into the IE range (where it should be). That's crap, frankly.

My point is, just having points for the scores and adding them up would only be an improvement if the overall score wasn't pre-determined--and in a situation where it IS pre-determined, we're actually better off without the point system.

(Note also that the point system could be made to work better with pre-determined scores if the categories didn't all have equal weight--say the sense of urgency category was worth U:0/IE:3/E:6/EX:9/O:12, but the appearance category was only worth U:0/IE:1/E:2/EX:3/O:4. Sadly, that's just getting way too complicated for Target to ever implement)

Last edited:
I had to laugh at some aspects of the review. Got an IE on a check box, only to be told in the comments section that I was excellent/outstanding at it.

Contradictory, much?

I had to laugh at some aspects of the review. Got an IE on a check box, only to be told in the comments section that I was excellent/outstanding at it.

Contradictory, much?

My first review was like that. Mind you, I was holiday seasonal so my raise was "pro-rated," but still.

in our store no one gets an outstanding, I have been there MANY years and didn't get a raise, they always manage to create some bs to justify not giving anyone over 30 got a raise. Rumor has it that they are trying to harass us all enough that we all quit so they can replace us with newbies than can get for minimum wages.

Getting a raise at Target is a joke anyway. I'm not used to working for big companies so 30 cents is a slap in the face to me. My first raise at other jobs ranged from 50 cents to a dollar at least...

A maximum of 5% of employees are allowed to get an "O". Each category (E, IE, etc) has a percentage place on it. So sorry to hear they didn't place you in the "O" category this year, it sounds like you do a great job! The problem that exists is that they have made it so people who get a failing score, IE, or even meets expectations, get NO increase! It's complicated, but you can get between 4-7% increase for O, 2-5% for E, 0-3% for Meets Expectations, but both IE and failing you are NOT allowed to get ANY increase! Definitely share your concerns with your supervisor and HR if you feel you have been scored incorrectly, or if you have been held to a standard that was NOT communicated to you during the year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back