Answered Overtime please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was supposed to clock out for my shift at 2:30 but I ended up leaving at 2:49. I asked my store director if that was a problem they said it was probably overtime and that if it is I would be talked too by a team lead but they also said if it was overtime it’s not a big deal. Should I be worried? What would they talk to me about if it was overtime? Could I get fired if I keep doing overtime on my shifts?

Last edited:
At my store if you go even one minute into overtime you will be talked to about it. They tell everyone dont let it happen again. If it happens again you could get fired. It's taken very serious. If you have projected overtime we expect people to cut time to where you are back under it.

Asants though, I heard some stores hand out overtime like its nothing.

Are you in a 5th hour state? And what was your schedule 6-2:30? If so that means you worked more than 8h in a day and for sure you will get a write up. Make sure that you give yourself time to clean up any carts you might have and comunícate to your leaders where are you at with your task and what you leave behind. Take your full lunch and make sure you leave on time going forward.

I wouldn't worry about it as a one-off thing. At my store leaders pay attention to OT and pull people to clock out if it looks like they're going over. If you went OT, your leaders almost certainly knew about it and kept you working anyway, so the rules might say you need to be "talked to" but I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a habit.

Are you in a 5th hour state? And what was your schedule 6-2:30? If so that means you worked more than 8h in a day and for sure you will get a write up. Make sure that you give yourself time to clean up any carts you might have and comunícate to your leaders where are you at with your task and what you leave behind. Take your full lunch and make sure you leave on time going forward.

I don't follow the logic here. What's 5th hour state got to do with 8 hour shifts? You can work over 8 hours without going into compliance.

I work over 8 hours a day quite often, it's not an issue. I've even worked 14 hour shifts relatively recently (8:00-10:00). Only way I see over 8 hours being an issue is if he lives somewhere where overtime is defined as over 8 hours a day and not merely over 40 hours a week, which isn't directly related to how frequently meal breaks need to be.

1597608332616.png

Example schedule from my store. If I have clock in 5 minutes every day I will work 40.42 hours. That would be a problem, but we post the overtime report daily, so if I do that every day, it's fine so long as on Saturday I either leave at 7:05, or take a 55 minute lunch.

Last edited:
I don't follow the logic here. What's 5th hour state got to do with 8 hour shifts? You can work over 8 hours without going into compliance.

I work over 8 hours a day quite often, it's not an issue. I've even worked 14 hour shifts relatively recently (8:00-10:00). Only way I see over 8 hours being an issue is if he lives somewhere where overtime is defined as over 8 hours a day and not merely over 40 hours a week, which isn't directly related to how frequently meal breaks need to be.

View attachment 11252

Example schedule from my store. If I have clock in 5 minutes every day I will work 40.42 hours. That would be a problem, but we post the overtime report daily, so if I do that every day, it's fine so long as on Saturday I either leave at 7:05, or take a 55 minute lunch.
You clearly think that 8-4:30 is 8h but you haven’t deducted the meal. And what I meant going over 8h in a day with the meal deducted in Ca that would be overtime .

You clearly think that 8-4:30 is 8h but you haven’t deducted the meal. And what I meant going over 8h in a day with the meal deducted in Ca that would be overtime .

What? 8-4:30 is 8.5 hours without the meal deducted. It's 8 hours after deducting the meal.

So, yes, I do clearly think 8:00 - 4:30 is 8 hours after deducting the meal, because I'm good at math.

Cali having Overtime mean over 8 hours in a day isn't directly related to it being a 5th hour lunch state. Those are separate matters.

Last edited:
Our clock won't allow you to punch in early from lunch.

5th and 6th hour lunch breaks are a separate issue from 8 hour/40 hours overtime. Only California, Nevada, and Alaska pay OT for working over 8 hours in a day and/or a 24 hour period. A couple more pay it for over 12 hours, but most only pay OT for over 40 hours in a work week. Some also require OT on the 7th day in a row.

Connecticut is actually a 5.5 hour lunch state, but we follow the 5 hour rule.

Last edited:
Our clock won't allow you to punch in early from lunch.

5th and 6th hour lunch breaks are a separate issue from 8 hour/40 hours overtime. Only California, Nevada, and Alaska pay OT for working over 8 hours in a day and/or a 24 hour period. A couple more pay it for over 12 hours, but most only pay OT for 40 hours in a work week. Some also require OT on the 7th day in a row.

Connecticut is actually a 5.5 hour lunch state, but we follow the 5 hour rule.
That’s why I was asking the state the op is in.
And good idea with not allowing to clock back in early from lunch

What? 8-4:30 is 8.5 hours without the meal deducted. It's 8 hours after deducting the meal.

So, yes, I do clearly think 8:00 - 4:30 is 8 hours after deducting the meal, because I'm good at math.

Cali having Overtime mean over 8 hours in a day isn't directly related to it being a 5th hour lunch state. Those are separate matters.
One does have to do with another. If you are scheduled for a shift of less than 6 hours and those few extra minutes push you past 6 hours, you go from not needing a 30 minute break (so no break scheduled) to needing a 30 minute break but not having taken it.

One does have to do with another. If you are scheduled for a shift of less than 6 hours and those few extra minutes push you past 6 hours, you go from not needing a 30 minute break (so no break scheduled) to needing a 30 minute break but not having taken it.

That has nothing to do with whether 8 hours is overtime or not. 8 hours being overtime has nothing to do with meal compliance. Those are completely different laws.

That has nothing to do with whether 8 hours is overtime or not. 8 hours being overtime has nothing to do with meal compliance. Those are completely different laws.
If you take a shorter lunch and clock out for the day minutes later after you supposed to that can put you in that range of getting overtime for the day

But it doesn't matter what time you are supposed to take your lunch. Also, OP said nothing about lunch, just that they punched out 19 minutes past their scheduled end time. I'm guessing that means they live in one of the three states that pays overtime after 8 hours worked.

But that has nothing to do with getting overtime for the day. The OP is not asking about meal compliance, they are asking about overtime.

If you take a shorter lunch and clock out for the day minutes later after you supposed to that can put you in that range of getting overtime for the day

The length of your lunch and shift matter. When you take your lunch though is irrelevant, thus 5th hour or 6th hour state has nothing to do with overtime.

Ah yes. My store is awful. My tl forces me to cut my 15’s in half, sometimes not even take them. One of our TLs consistently stays 1-2 hours past his 8 hour shift. I asked if he needed to head out or if we could continue doing what we were doing together, and he said “(store director) doesn’t care, on paper I’ll still be here for 8 hours. Not allowed to have any overtime”.

Ah yes. My store is awful. My tl forces me to cut my 15’s in half, sometimes not even take them. One of our TLs consistently stays 1-2 hours past his 8 hour shift. I asked if he needed to head out or if we could continue doing what we were doing together, and he said “(store director) doesn’t care, on paper I’ll still be here for 8 hours. Not allowed to have any overtime”.
Wait, what? Like he works off the clock? Companies have gotten in big trouble for not allowing people to take their breaks or for people working off the clock. I would not put up with that.

@happygoth I've only worked on a thing with this tl a few times and they've all been very recently. But I do know for a fact this particular tl has been having to say til 6:30pm almost every one of his shifts up until just a couple days ago. Now, that's been happening for several weeks. I feel bad for him, but he probably has something worked out to where he's getting compensated one way or another.. Nobody else can do what he was doing on those particular days. He said "I'll just have to, you know, fix my hours". Projected overtime sheet at TSC says the usual 0.05 or whatever hours for a few people each week. Not two hours several times a week.

@happygoth I've only worked on a thing with this tl a few times and they've all been very recently. But I do know for a fact this particular tl has been having to say til 6:30pm almost every one of his shifts up until just a couple days ago. Now, that's been happening for several weeks. I feel bad for him, but he probably has something worked out to where he's getting compensated one way or another.. Nobody else can do what he was doing on those particular days. He said "I'll just have to, you know, fix my hours". Projected overtime sheet at TSC says the usual 0.05 or whatever hours for a few people each week. Not two hours several times a week.
So this Tl is giving his life and soul for Target by working for free ? Because you said the hours are adjusted to look like he hasn’t stayed past his time . Basically at 4::30 he goes and clocks out for the day and then go back to work . But what about Ap ? Does your Ap suck this bad ? And this Tl will only be in trouble himself when someone finally catches on. Everyone from Hr to sd will be like “ you know you can not work off the clock , and you know you must take your break every time, we like you so much and you are a hard worker , and now we have to fire you for working off the clock”.

Question answered.

8246283_20140323621716320140323085101_pngfa347c70f112bde730f99ed4e395a82f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back