• Thread starter Pfreshbackroomguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pfreshbackroomguy

My p fresh has been open for 11 months now. Back in March, our backroom walk-in freezer started to accumulate ice and frost all over the freezer and freezer floor. It come to the point where the freezer floors were so slippery that the moment you walk it, you start to slip and slide. You can’t walk without sliding all over the place. Well back in late May to early June, they “supposedly” fixed the issue with our freezer. Ever since then, it has gotten worse and worse. If you can believe it, it became worse. We found out from a technician that the reason there is issues is because they built the freezer in the wrong place and the wrong way. They built it above a sprinkler system which leaks waters onto some wires that causes frost/ice to build up (something along those lines). So basically, they need to rebuild our freezer and target doesn’t want to spend any money doing that. Along with the freezer issues, where a metal plate/lip that separates the freezer floor and outside floor is lifted up. Meaning every time you walk in the freezer, you can trip over the plate/lip with your body or equipment. My STL told me today that whomever looks at work orders, told his store not to submit any work orders for the freezer because they know about the issues.

IN short

1: backroom walk-in freezer accumulated ice and frost all over the freezer and freezer floor causing it to be very slippery and dangerous to be in the freezer.
2: The issues was temperately fixed
3: a few months after the temp fix, they original issue became worse along with a new issue where a metal plate/lip that separates the freezer floor and outside floor is lifted up.
4: After 2 months of the issues being known, the freezer nor the slip have been permanently fixed. This is causing people to slip and fall all the time. It makes it harder to pull, backstock and update in the freezer.

Feedback and suggestions?

It was (and still is) a major safety issue. People have gotten hurt in there.

I would document events & keep reporting it to your tl, etl, Stl, then hr on your concerns. ask your sft guy for help too. He may be able to get district help on this serious safety issue.
Make it team effort to solve the problems. Be safe & don't forget to wear spike shoes in the cooler.

You can order a freezer floor cleaner through tipp. Partner with your SFT they should be able to help you pinpoint exactly what is needed. It should also be listed in the consumables cleaning guide as well.

Not sure what to suggest but I hope it is fixed. A former TL fell broke his leg because of the freezer floor being icy one time. I have noticed ours was slippery too a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it improved since then.

I hate how my store takes forever to repair things too. It took them 2 years to replace a 3 callbox area phones in Hardlines. The only reason I think they ware replaced is because they had to remove/relocate them for remodel anyway. We now have one of those price scanners near the callbox that has been broken since June. There is no damage to the scanner itself the software seems to not be working on it.

Maybe mention "OSHA" the next time you point this out. That might perk up a few ears.

Hardlinesmaster. All of our ETLs, STF and our district SFT and our p fresh TL know about the issue. My STL told me yesterday that "they" told him and his store to stop putting in work orders to fix it. If they tell the STL to stop putting in work orders, then they should be fixing it ASAP. But my STL hasnt been told what is actually going on with the freezer and what they are going to do to fix it.

It has been broken for way too long and it is major safetly issue

Does the freezers floor cleaner melt the ice already on the freezer floor?

Maybe mention "OSHA" the next time you point this out. That might perk up a few ears.
I am tempted but if I do that, they will most likely fired me. It may not be for mentioning OSHA but for some other reason. I know target will make an example out of me just like they made an example of that TM who started the union talk in that store who had a union vote

Last edited by a moderator:
I am concern for your safety. I wonder if mold is growing where the leaks are outside of cooler? Stirtech would have a field day with that. Has alert one been contacted?

'Accidentally' spill some kosher salt on the slippery spots every day?
Should at least keep it rough enough to keep anyone from slipping.

I am concern for your safety. I wonder if mold is growing where the leaks are outside of cooler? Stirtech would have a field day with that. Has alert one been contacted?

That is a good question about the mold. Speaking of Steritech, we just had them evaluate us this past week. We got our third straight green visit with only 1 non critical in p fresh.

I honestly dont know what alert one is. I have heard the name but dont know what it is for.

A co worker actually suggested some type of carpet that can be used in cold conditions. He said you can still push green carts, flats and tubs in there.

Alert 1 is an emergency assistance hotline that can be called by the LOD in circumstances like chemical spills, medical incidents, weather, etc.

Not to be confused with the CSC or "helpdesk", which is called when registers/PDAs/computers/phones stop working.

I would have the store to invest in a number of YakTraks for anyone who goes in there

Alert one handles temperature alarms & leaks on the p-fresh coolers too.

Thought that was FMOC? Whatever lol.. but anyway... this ice problem. I think there is more to this story..

Does your freezer door close by itself? (springloaded or whatever it is) if not, make sure it is closed at ALL TIMES. During pulls, backstock etc. Check the seal along the sides and top of the door. The floor thing was a problem at my old store. Newer remodel stores such as the one i am in now do not have the metal threshold you speak of, its ust one slab from the inside to the outside... much easier. Partner with your ETL Log, and SFT also your FBP should be aware. As for the built in the wrong spot story.. I dont get that. If there is a leak with sprinklers.. fix the leak? since when is there a wrong spot to put it? (not logistically speaking of course ;) )

Pet, me and the other backroom team along with the p fresh team make sure the door is. Whenever i am there, i always make sure the freezer door is shut all the way, just like any other cooler door.

As for my built in the wrong spot and the sprinkler issue, that is what a technition told one of our PAs.

Everyone from STL to ETL LOG, to ETL hardlines/p fresh, to ETL safety caption, to SFT and to our CTL all know about metal threshold issue and the freezer issue.

This problem has pretty much been going on since March and the issues are not fixed.\

Target should al least buy something like these walk in freezer mats http://www.americanfloormats.com/deep-freeze-walk-in-freezer-kitchen-mats

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the floor cleaner has a small amount of antifreeze in it, at least that's what my sft said. Should clear the ice up. No one wants to walk in and find a red and khaki popscicle

Pet, me and the other backroom team along with the p fresh team make sure the door is. Whenever i am there, i always make sure the freezer door is shut all the way, just like any other cooler door.

As for my built in the wrong spot and the sprinkler issue, that is what a technition told one of our PAs.

Everyone from STL to ETL LOG, to ETL hardlines/p fresh, to ETL safety caption, to SFT and to our CTL all know about metal threshold issue and the freezer issue.

This problem has pretty much been going on since March and the issues are not fixed.\

Target should al least buy something like these walk in freezer mats http://www.americanfloormats.com/deep-freeze-walk-in-freezer-kitchen-mats

Well the most I can say is too keep pushing your SFT. And I highly suggest mentioning it to your FBP, although they might just say to tell your SFT. Another thing to do is put in a work order under MyFacilities. Go to Interior -> Backroom -> Walkin Freezer -> TEMP Saying the freezer is not getting up to tempurature due to the ice build up and possible bad seal will consider this an emergency and send someone out immediatly.

Pet: Our store was told not to put any more work orders in. We have put in so many these past few months but nothing has really happened other than a few technitions coming and fixing a fan or two. They told our STL they "know" about the issues and are in the process of fixing the issues.

Hardlinesmaster: As far as I know, she doesnt know about the issue. But if all other ETLs (including both softlines and front end) know about the issues, i am sure someone let her know about the issue.

Pet: Our store was told not to put any more work orders in. We have put in so many these past few months but nothing has really happened other than a few technitions coming and fixing a fan or two. They told our STL they "know" about the issues and are in the process of fixing the issues.

Hardlinesmaster: As far as I know, she doesnt know about the issue. But if all other ETLs (including both softlines and front end) know about the issues, i am sure someone let her know about the issue.

bah i hate that "we know about the issues" crap.. pisses me off to no end... I would just keep climbing the ladder... DTL.. FBP... whomever.. keep squawking until something happens

Well If i dont get a good answer by tomorrow, i am calling the integrity hotline abiout the freezer issue

I am tempted but if I do that, they will most likely fired me. It may not be for mentioning OSHA but for some other reason. I know target will make an example out of me just like they made an example of that TM who started the union talk in that store who had a union vote

Make an anonymous complaint. OSHA will come and investigate.

We have the same problem and were told that anything on the floor would be a violation of some kind of food safety law, and would result in a $30,000 fine. There can be no rubber mats, or any other kind of no-slip items on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back