Paid Sick Time

Luck

The one and only SCTM™
What are everyones thoughts on the new policy to accrue paid sick time?
Peesonally I am ecstatic. Its essentially a free week of extra vacation if you arent the type to call during the year.

What are everyones thoughts on the new policy to accrue paid sick time?
Peesonally I am ecstatic. Its essentially a free week of extra vacation if you arent the type to call during the year.
Where are you seeing this or hearing this ? I've heard nothing official

Where are you seeing this or hearing this ? I've heard nothing official
Heard it from higher ups. It goes into effect July 1st this year, specifics not all ironed out but it will be 40 hours per year, 1 hour accrued per 52 hours worked.

We haven’t gotten much info from hr, only what was in the email. I imagine it’s still accountable time if you call in.

Just something for people to mis use like well being.

It only impacts centers where there is no state mandated policy already. If you already have that, this doesn’t impact you. And yes, there will be abuse, our state has had it for years, and somehow people never seem to have any when they really need it.

Like I said no specifics as of yet.

Does anyone know for states that already had the mandated sick time, was it considered accountable or not? I assume they will follow that policy with this expansion.

First I’ve heard of it. I miss like 1 day/year, so it’s another week of vacation for me!
Exactly! Really nice for people working on A keys too since it is a set 40 so you get the extra 4 hours.

The best part is, this vacation circumvents seniority and the wait list 😎

Like I said no specifics as of yet.

Does anyone know for states that already had the mandated sick time, was it considered accountable or not? I assume they will follow that policy with this expansion.

Exactly! Really nice for people working on A keys too since it is a set 40 so you get the extra 4 hours.

I would imagine it would still be accountable time, but we haven’t been given communication on that. How would it not be accountable? How are om’s to know if they used there sick pay or not?

It’s not a set 40, it’s 1 hour of sick time per 52 hours worked. A keys will get 36 hours.

It’s not a set 40, it’s 1 hour of sick time per 52 hours worked. A keys will get 36 hours.

This. And there's no starting amount, you'll start at zero. But I'm all for this as someone who never calls in. Extra vacation!

I assume this replaces the old go home sick after 6 hours and get paid for the whole 12 thing that they try not to tell anyone about?

I would imagine it would still be accountable time, but we haven’t been given communication on that. How would it not be accountable? How are om’s to know if they used there sick pay or not?
using sick time makes those hours non acct, BUT there is absolutely no wiggle room if you don’t have any. HR doesn’t care about doctors notes, they will no longer make any adjustments - you either have and use your sick pay, you get a approved medical leave, or the time hits your report. And terms for attendance are the quickest way to deal with all the over headcount issues coming out of COVID. Having sick pay, or extra vacation as you call it, really isn’t all it’s advertised as, it actually takes a lot of flexibility out of the equation.

Its up to 40, which means OT factors in. I average over 200 hours of OT so i expect i will hit the 40.

Not really something I have to worry about (I’m #1 seniority), but I can see how it’d benefit people there. Probably wouldn’t protect paid holidays, and I’d assume that like vacation, it can’t be paid out on a holiday, so there is still some kind of limit as far as using it like vacation.

I assume this replaces the old go home sick after 6 hours and get paid for the whole 12 thing that they try not to tell anyone about?
I’d assume the same, so some people will actually lose out on this, as fucked up as that is.

Our state mandate sick time is accountable so it can be use around paid holidays.

Expect an adjustment time for leadership to figure out scheduling. Our team was padding the staffing by 20% to cover the extra no shows. Friday second half outbound is the worst. It seems the whole building is staffed extra just to cover them.
Some people save their time but many spend it as soon as they get 10/5/2.5 hours and start the weekend early. I personally use it to cover OT when it gets to use it or lose it levels.

It is not as bad now that we VLE/NS every day. It will probably pick up if we get busy.

using sick time makes those hours non acct, BUT there is absolutely no wiggle room if you don’t have any. HR doesn’t care about doctors notes, they will no longer make any adjustments - you either have and use your sick pay, you get a approved medical leave, or the time hits your report. And terms for attendance are the quickest way to deal with all the over headcount issues coming out of COVID. Having sick pay, or extra vacation as you call it, really isn’t all it’s advertised as, it actually takes a lot of flexibility out of the equation.

the way target uses favoritism, i expect they WILL find a way to make sure the usual suspects never get accountable time.

i have heard absolutely nothing about this, but maybe i'm just out of the loop. a bit skeptical that it's actually happening, but it sounds incredibly great if true. although yes, one more thing for people to abuse.

people may like all these benefits, but i always keep in mind we could be making a lot more $ per hour without them. everything has to be paid for, is one of the biggest possible lessons in life. the people who come to work are paying for those who dont. but yeah in the short term, putting the logical side of my brain aside, this sounds great.

Too be clear, this would be non accountable time?

Last edited:
I can only speak to in my state, it isn’t acct. but it is highly abused, seriously, how can you be too sick to report to work on time, and then magically well enough to report 15 mins late, every Saturday and Sunday?

i have heard absolutely nothing about this, but maybe i'm just out of the loop. a bit skeptical that it's actually happening, but it sounds incredibly great if true. although yes, one more thing for people to abuse.

Too be clear, this would be non accountable time?
It is for sure happening. They already linked another thread from the store side that they are getting it too.

Nobody knows if it will be accountable time or not at this point. None of the exact details will be set until July 1st.

One of our team leads talked about this in a recent huddle but the county in my state I live in already has basically the same policy (one hour of paid sick time for every 35 hours, no more than 40 hours of paid sick time in a calendar year)

One of our team leads talked about this in a recent huddle but the county in my state I live in already has basically the same policy (one hour of paid sick time for every 35 hours, no more than 40 hours of paid sick time in a calendar year)
One a side note I have been in ONE HUDDLE at my store since Fall 2019.

That was about two months ago.

One a side note I have been in ONE HUDDLE at my store since Fall 2019.

That was about two months ago.
Oh my! My store has had a huddle every wednesday for about a month now; heck today we had one because it was a ton of TM's one year anniversary of working with target

It is for sure happening. They already linked another thread from the store side that they are getting it too.

Nobody knows if it will be accountable time or not at this point. None of the exact details will be set until July 1st.

if it's accountable its kinda just begging people to call off a certain amount. otherwise thats paid time you are leaving on the table.

i'm 99% sure it'd be non accountable. doesnt make a ton of sense otherwise and i think that was the whole point of one of the posts above. but we will see soon i guess.

if it's accountable its kinda just begging people to call off a certain amount. otherwise thats paid time you are leaving on the table.

i'm 99% sure it'd be non accountable. doesnt make a ton of sense otherwise and i think that was the whole point of one of the posts above. but we will see soon i guess.
I think you got the two mixed up there. Acountable means you get in trouble, non acountable means its excused.

Back