Archived Payroll issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Im new to Target barely into my BC but I see alot on here about payroll issues. What does that really mean? How can this be fixed should I encounter this issue in the store that I am placed?

Payroll is determined by your sales vs. your sales goal. Your goal is determined by corporate, although your DTL can challenge your goal if they feel it's unrealistic. If you make your sales goal, your payroll bumps up. If not, it flexes down.

That's the simple part. The rest of the payroll issues you see here are either departments mis-spending their payroll (ex. price change goes over hours, so other have to cut), leadership mis-alotting payroll, or team member productivity issues (team members aren't working as productively as they could be, so it seems like you need more hours to get everything done.)

Yes. To increase your payroll hours, you have to exceed your sales goal by I think 5-10%. If you are not making sales, you have to send people home early.

Sending people home early is a really aggressive way to try to meet payroll. I don't think we've ever done that at my store. The usual course is not replacing call-outs and not adding anyone else to the schedule for projects.

Closing team normally leaves a 1/2 hour after store close but when we're not making sales or payroll, they send people home at store close instead. They also call people asking them not to come in.

With payroll you must be proactive. It is something that needs to be addressed daily, not just 2 days until the end of the fiscal month. If you are slow you ask for volunteers to go home or don't replace call offs. (Trust me there are a few that always want to go home)If you are killing sales then you add because you don't want to kill your teams. Way too many people ignore the payroll situation until the end of the month and then they go on slashing sprees. That is a great way to kill morale. Flex hours don't carry over into the next month either. So use it, don't lose it.

My store overspends on logistics and makes up for it by slashing from every other workcenter. It's a great morale boost, being told to do more with less because the ETL-LOG is a special snowflake who needs more hours for his team than everyone else.

All of the blame shouldn't be put on logistics. I've had several payroll allotments where corporate gave my logistics process (AA+, 7+ trucks a week) the same hours as a C volume (2-3 trucks) store. My STL never ran a high volume store so she thought corporate knew what they were doing and kept the allocations the same. Well, she did that until my mentor schooled her on how to run a green high volume store. Then I got the hours I needed and our store became consistently green.

Also, logistics consumes 60% of total store metrics. Logistics affects the capabilities of the other work centers (except getting RedCards and other GE related stuff). If logistics is red then the entire store is red, so pouring hours into logistics isn't wasteful. If trucks continue to roll, or the logistics process is broken, the entire store will suffer. STLs should know that a green logistics process makes running a green store a lot easier.

TM performance could be an issue too. It can be challenging to performance out shitty TMs.

Either way, stores could use more hours and I'm not saying other work centers aren't important. They all need their hours, especially the POG team. They are given unrealistic goals all year.

The part I don't understand about flexing payroll down because of missing sales is this ... Just because we are missing sales doesn't mean it takes less time to set a pog.

Oh, we missed sales, so, the 10 hour Maybelline pog we told you to unrealistically set in 8 hours, do it in 6.

I just don't understand how it affects this.

My store overspends on logistics and makes up for it by slashing from every other workcenter. It's a great morale boost, being told to do more with less because the ETL-LOG is a special snowflake who needs more hours for his team than everyone else.
I am not saying that the log process doesn't go over on payroll. However, this is the second time you have somewhat attacked a whole team within a team ( the log team). Last time you were saying how the log team thinks they are better than everyone else etcl I assure you the log team in your store and every other store is not the only reason stores are over on payroll. I also know that as a member of the log team ( I am backroom) that our hours get cut right along with every else. Maybe you should ask to work, flow a week or so and see what its like.

Last edited:
We had several cashiers pick up flow shifts in Jan and Feb when cashier hours were being cut. Only one lasted more than a full shift (he did it a few weeks and ended up on pog). The rest lasted a day and then called off for the remaining shifts, and one cashier didn't even make it an hour bowling market before disappearing (haven't seen her since).

Ahhh the good ole flow days when i didnt have 40 for the week for signing always did 2 or 3 days on flow and backroom. Some lazy people and some amazing hard working people on those teams. You always knew who was lazy because the former flow TL had them always doing toys or seasonal.

People who bash flow for overspending, think about these things. When the schedule is made, there is no idea whatsoever how big those trucks will be. It takes a lot more time to work a 3000 piece truck than it does a 2000 piece truck. Also repacks can be the knife to the throat. When you get hit with 250 repacks you are looking at a shit ton more hours. Granted you have no idea how many guests will be in the building either. The big difference is that everyone in the building is required to assist with service. Flow does flow. And if you add an extra truck, you don't get extra hours. It is the biggest team in the store so the potential to overspend the most is simple math. We don't have enough hours ANYWHERE! Eventually someone may figure that out. I'm not holding my breath though

Our Flow Team's problem is performance. A lot of them walk around like zombies. Wenare a 6 am store, so that isn't what I would consider early enough to be losing a lot of sleep. I hated "Smart Huddles" where some of us had to help catch up the truck. Don't get me wrong, we have a few productive tm's on Flow, but most just aren't. $8/hr for heavy lifting and no shift pay? No wonder.

People who bash flow for overspending, think about these things. When the schedule is made, there is no idea whatsoever how big those trucks will be. It takes a lot more time to work a 3000 piece truck than it does a 2000 piece truck. Also repacks can be the knife to the throat. When you get hit with 250 repacks you are looking at a shit ton more hours. Granted you have no idea how many guests will be in the building either. The big difference is that everyone in the building is required to assist with service. Flow does flow. And if you add an extra truck, you don't get extra hours. It is the biggest team in the store so the potential to overspend the most is simple math. We don't have enough hours ANYWHERE! Eventually someone may figure that out. I'm not holding my breath though

Obviously, the is problem is a sense of urgency. If you worked with a higher sense of urgency, there wouldn't be an hours problem.

Now if I could just figure out how to change the font to that sarcasm font.

very well said!

People who bash flow for overspending, think about these things. When the schedule is made, there is no idea whatsoever how big those trucks will be. It takes a lot more time to work a 3000 piece truck than it does a 2000 piece truck. Also repacks can be the knife to the throat. When you get hit with 250 repacks you are looking at a shit ton more hours.

My STL/DTL always told me that the number of pieces didn't matter because the truck was always 53 feet - you mean that isn't true? LOL My STL - outside hire with 3 nights flow experience, never understood why a 3000 piece truck with 200 repacks couldn't get done when he was slashing my hours!!

To all the people who feel the need to bag on the flow team, please try to remember this one very very important element,,,,, If it doesn't come off the truck, go down the line, get pulled off the line, stacked on flats or pallets, (in 30 seconds or less) get pulled from the line, drug across the store, staged close to the aisle, bowled down the aisle, stocked and FIFOed at a minute a box,,,, there would be nothing on the store shelves for our customers to purchase.

I have to say, every department in my store works hard. I can't complain about flow. I think it helps that I always make casual conversation when I see them.

It seems my store works with the district though. If another store is over hours, we get ours cut. It's quite annoying and unfair. So the end of the month is horrible, understaffed and stressful. Every morning we play catch up from the night before.

If only we were always fully staffed. That's the target dream.

And don't forget the daily 30 minute huddle that the entire flow team must attend in my store daily. 30 minutes x 24 flow team members and 6 backroom team members. THAT is wasted payroll!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back