Archived PDA tricks/tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any threads dedicated to this, so i figure I'd start one :)

Please add some info if yyou have any!

Things that I've found helpful on the PDA...

Typing 49 before a DCPI to bypass the 1st screen when searching for a location of an item manually. Also good when the network is down, seems to bypass some problems when trying to search!

Using "NOP" in RF Apps to get a street/release date on an item (very handy in Elec). Also MUCH quicker when trying to find an item's location on the floor.

Using the logistics icon to see if an item is going to be shipped.

Checking Ad Promo to see if an item is going to be marked down within the next 2 weeks (usually for myself, haha).

Anyone have anything good?

RF Apps

This thread has potential to become a great guide if everyone contributes.

I could go on for days about everything you can do with the PDA, but I'll stick with RF Apps (mostly basics).

Overall Tips - RF Apps
  • Use RF Apps (instead of Item Search) if you need to do the following (with easiest path from home screen):
  • Find an item's sales floor location (NOP + Enter)
  • Find an item's second sales floor location (NOP + Enter + Scan + D + Enter) [Note: see below for D + Enter shortcut]
  • Check if an item has a future POG set date (NOP + Enter + Scan + D + Enter) [Note: see below for D + Enter shortcut]
  • Check an item's price (5 + Enter + 2 + Enter) [Useful when checking which items need signs]
  • Check if an item has a backroom location and how many are in the backroom (SUBT + Enter) [After scanning an item, press 1 + Enter)
  • Check if an item has backroom location (LOC + Enter + B + Enter) [Note: this is only really used for making sure items have backroom locations, does not include a count of how many - great for filling holes on non-MPG aisles]
  • Other common uses that are only available in RF Apps:
  • You can have two RF Apps functions open at the same time, toggling between them by pushing Shift + 7 + Enter (see below for a shortcut)
  • Not all functions can be toggled to/from, but most common functions can be
  • Common toggle combinations:
  • NOP + Pricing (this should be the default for Hardlines Team Members)
  • Pricing + SUBT (very good for guest servicing)
  • Pricing + Sign Making (great for auditing prices on endcaps)
  • Batches + SUBT (this should be the default for Backroom Team Members)
  • SFLM + New POG Fill (used for setting multiple Sales Plans)
  • LOC + SUBT (uncommon - I use this to quickly check my backroom on-hand numbers when flexing in non-MPG aisles)
  • SUBT + NOP (uncommon - I use this when I am purging by backroom aisles and looking for NOP product)
  • There are many workcenter-specific tasks that you need to be trained on, such as Backroom, Receiving, Price Accuracy, etc.)
  • Create a barcode for a product (BCODE + Enter) [barcode only, barcode + date, or barcode + price] - requires hip/portable printer
  • Sign setup/takedown (4 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 1 or 2 + Enter) or (SIGNT + Enter + 1 or 2 + Enter)
  • Sign Audit (4 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 3) or (SIGNT + Enter + 3 + Enter) - ask your Team Leader if/when you should use this, very helpful for maintaining sign-heavy aisles
  • Making/Breaking POG ties (SFLM + Enter) - ask your Team Leader if/when you should use this
  • POG Fill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 1 + Enter)1
  • New POG Fiill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 2 + Enter)
  • Revision POG Fill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 3 + Enter)
  • Create signs (4 + Enter + 1 + Enter + M + Enter + "your batch name"
  • Sign Number: N + Enter - used when you know the exact sign number you need to print (typically used for Headquarter signs or non-merchandise signs such as recall notices)
  • Item: I + Enter - used when you are making signs for single items (can make 3x5, 7x11, and 3x3 sizes)
  • Always use 3x3 for standard pegged items, it will not give you the "Sale" or "TPC" choice but will print correctly
  • If the sign printed out does not give you a clear sign (such as "All items of Brand X are 10%") you can choose a Store Sign by selecting 'S' after scanning the item, instead of the Sale, TPC, ASADV, FGC, etc. options that are given - this will print out a sign with the price for that specific DPCI (this is typically is necessary on 7x11s on Sales Plans, but it works with any size)
  • Push the shortcut for R + Enter (see below) instead of S + Enter to change sizes, it is much faster over time
  • Multiple Item: M + Enter - used when you are making signs with multiple price points (can make 3x5, 7x11, and 3x3 sizes)
  • You can shoot a single price point sign by only scanning one item, it is similar to using the Store Sign option mentioned above
  • Planogram: P + Enter - used to make signs for an entire planogram (scanthe POG label)
  • You can decide which signs to print out (3x5 white, 3x5 cardstock, 3x3 cardstock, 7x11, or all signs)
  • Be careful with this: any signs for the POG will print out, including future signs that are not valid yet
  • This is very useful for creating signs for endcaps (that have a current Sales Plan)
  • Creating signs involves pushing C + Enter a lot - make sure you learn the shortcut mentioned below
  • There are many other uses, I'm sure I forgot certain common ones

PDA - RF Apps
  • ESC or the green-dot button (depends on PDA model) = Shift + 7 + Enter
  • Warm boot = hold Power button until screen turns off
  • Cold boot (model 9060) = hold Power button longer than a warm boot, typically 10-15 seconds
  • Cold boot (model 9090) = partially remove battery, hold Power button and scanner trigger, push battery back in, release trigger and Power)
  • The four arrow keys above the letters will save you a ton of time
  • Left arrow = R + Enter (useful when changing size of signs you are creating)
  • Up arrow = U + Enter
  • Down arrow = D + Enter
  • Right arrow = C + Enter (very useful - you'd be surprised at how often you push C + Enter - particularly when making signs)

LPDA - RF Apps
  • Cold boot = hold down 1 + 9 + Power button until screen turns off
  • The buttons above the number buttons will save you time
  • Left grey button = Shift + 7 + Enter
  • Right grey button = E + Enter (this will take you to the RF Apps home screen)
  • Green phone = C + Enter (very useful - you'd be surprised at how often you push C + Enter - particularly when making signs)
  • Red phone = R + Enter (useful when changing size of signs you are creating)
  • Up arrow = U + Enter (does not work if ALT/orange is pushed)
  • Down arrow = D + Enter (does not work if ALT/orange is push)

Disclaimer: I don't know if everything is 100% accurate (hard to remember every detail without a PDA in front of me). :wacko:

Let me know if I should edit/add anything!

Disclaimer: I don't know if everything is 100% accurate (hard to remember every detail without a PDA in front of me). :wacko:

You can easily tell the 9060 apart from the 9090 because the 9090 has the big built-in speaker grill on the underside. When your finger is on the trigger, move your finger up a little and you can feel it. Or just turn it around and look. Knowing 9090 from 9060 helps with two things.

1. A 9090 uses the the green-dot shift-7 shortcut, the 9060 uses the escape button.
  2. The volume of a 9090 can be turned all the way down to nothing, the volume on a 9060 can't.

Not that you really need to mute a 9090 most of the time, since the lowest volume setting above mute is lower than the lowest volume setting of a 9060 (which, on it's lowest setting, is still personally obnoxiously loud). Mute does help if you are in a quiet area, like the Team Lead room and someone is trying to do paper work or have a [work-related] conversation about something.

As I tend to prefer the 9090, I find it handy knowing that the easiest way to tell them apart is just feel for the speaker grill on the back. It makes checking to see if I can get a 9090 out of the cabinet really quick and easy. I prefer them because, for some reason, I like green-dot shifting better than esc-key shifting; because they can be turned down really low or even muted; and because they usually seem a tad faster (although it's hard to tell unless you're cold booting a 9090 and 9060 side by side simultaneously - 9090s usually win).

Also, if your touch screen is out of whack, go to myHome -> all applications -> door icon at top to log out -> cancel at login screen -> device trouble shooting -> 1) recalibrate touch screen.

Much faster than rebooting.

You can easily tell the 9060 apart from the 9090 because the 9090 has the big built-in speaker grill on the underside. When your finger is on the trigger, move your finger up a little and you can feel it. Or just turn it around and look. Knowing 9090 from 9060 helps with two things.

1. A 9090 uses the the green-dot shift-7 shortcut, the 9060 uses the escape button.
  2. The volume of a 9090 can be turned all the way down to nothing, the volume on a 9060 can't.

Not that you really need to mute a 9090 most of the time, since the lowest volume setting above mute is lower than the lowest volume setting of a 9060 (which, on it's lowest setting, is still personally obnoxiously loud). Mute does help if you are in a quiet area, like the Team Lead room and someone is trying to do paper work or have a [work-related] conversation about something.

As I tend to prefer the 9090, I find it handy knowing that the easiest way to tell them apart is just feel for the speaker grill on the back. It makes checking to see if I can get a 9090 out of the cabinet really quick and easy. I prefer them because, for some reason, I like green-dot shifting better than esc-key shifting; because they can be turned down really low or even muted; and because they usually seem a tad faster (although it's hard to tell unless you're cold booting a 9090 and 9060 side by side simultaneously - 9090s usually win).

Also, if your touch screen is out of whack, go to myHome -> all applications -> door icon at top to log out -> cancel at login screen -> device trouble shooting -> 1) recalibrate touch screen.

Much faster than rebooting.
Crtl-Then Escape will bring up the recalibrate screen from anywhere

You can pull up a task manager
I think its cont-blue cont-blue or maybe one more cont at the end. Drop bar from top left. Will save your life when your gat james!!!!!

^^^I use the blue-control menu to log out of my PDA when I'm done for the day, or whenever RF apps crashes. Logging out that way completely logs me out, keeps my name from showing up when other people log in.

Blue - X turns off the keyboard backlight on the 9200's. Keeps them from adding a bunch of random characters.

Mydevice Fun: Check the deleted photos album in the photos app. Many a TM at my store have taken selfies and other pictures they thought were deleted.... :p

^^^I use the blue-control menu to log out of my PDA when I'm done for the day, or whenever RF apps crashes. Logging out that way completely logs me out, keeps my name from showing up when other people log in.

Blue - X turns off the keyboard backlight on the 9200's. Keeps them from adding a bunch of random characters.

Mydevice Fun: Check the deleted photos album in the photos app. Many a TM at my store have taken selfies and other pictures they thought were deleted.... :p
Hitting the blue control key you are talking about also disconnects you from any hip printer or main printer, should the event arise you have to switch where you want your signs/labels sent. That knowledge was a blessing up until the myDevices. I haven't used a PDA for more than about a few hours now.

where do i find the deleted photos at? Why would they save?

I'm not exactly sure why they'd save. I haven't had an Apple device since the iPhone3, so I dont know if it's one of the settings.

Go into the "unused apps" folder and tap photos. Deleted photos will show up as a photo album. At least that's the way it is on our mydevices.

Last edited:
Once you delete a photo on iOS it gets sent to a deleted folder for 30 days or until you remove it. Kinda like the recycle bin on windows.

RF Apps

This thread has potential to become a great guide if everyone contributes.

I could go on for days about everything you can do with the PDA, but I'll stick with RF Apps (mostly basics).

Overall Tips - RF Apps
  • Use RF Apps (instead of Item Search) if you need to do the following (with easiest path from home screen):
  • Find an item's sales floor location (NOP + Enter)
  • Find an item's second sales floor location (NOP + Enter + Scan + D + Enter) [Note: see below for D + Enter shortcut]
  • Check if an item has a future POG set date (NOP + Enter + Scan + D + Enter) [Note: see below for D + Enter shortcut]
  • Check an item's price (5 + Enter + 2 + Enter) [Useful when checking which items need signs]
  • Check if an item has a backroom location and how many are in the backroom (SUBT + Enter) [After scanning an item, press 1 + Enter)
  • Check if an item has backroom location (LOC + Enter + B + Enter) [Note: this is only really used for making sure items have backroom locations, does not include a count of how many - great for filling holes on non-MPG aisles]
  • Other common uses that are only available in RF Apps:
  • You can have two RF Apps functions open at the same time, toggling between them by pushing Shift + 7 + Enter (see below for a shortcut)
  • Not all functions can be toggled to/from, but most common functions can be
  • Common toggle combinations:
  • NOP + Pricing (this should be the default for Hardlines Team Members)
  • Pricing + SUBT (very good for guest servicing)
  • Pricing + Sign Making (great for auditing prices on endcaps)
  • Batches + SUBT (this should be the default for Backroom Team Members)
  • SFLM + New POG Fill (used for setting multiple Sales Plans)
  • LOC + SUBT (uncommon - I use this to quickly check my backroom on-hand numbers when flexing in non-MPG aisles)
  • SUBT + NOP (uncommon - I use this when I am purging by backroom aisles and looking for NOP product)
  • There are many workcenter-specific tasks that you need to be trained on, such as Backroom, Receiving, Price Accuracy, etc.)
  • Create a barcode for a product (BCODE + Enter) [barcode only, barcode + date, or barcode + price] - requires hip/portable printer
  • Sign setup/takedown (4 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 1 or 2 + Enter) or (SIGNT + Enter + 1 or 2 + Enter)
  • Sign Audit (4 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 3) or (SIGNT + Enter + 3 + Enter) - ask your Team Leader if/when you should use this, very helpful for maintaining sign-heavy aisles
  • Making/Breaking POG ties (SFLM + Enter) - ask your Team Leader if/when you should use this
  • POG Fill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 1 + Enter)1
  • New POG Fiill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 2 + Enter)
  • Revision POG Fill (2 + Enter + 2 + Enter + 3 + Enter)
  • Create signs (4 + Enter + 1 + Enter + M + Enter + "your batch name"
  • Sign Number: N + Enter - used when you know the exact sign number you need to print (typically used for Headquarter signs or non-merchandise signs such as recall notices)
  • Item: I + Enter - used when you are making signs for single items (can make 3x5, 7x11, and 3x3 sizes)
  • Always use 3x3 for standard pegged items, it will not give you the "Sale" or "TPC" choice but will print correctly
  • If the sign printed out does not give you a clear sign (such as "All items of Brand X are 10%") you can choose a Store Sign by selecting 'S' after scanning the item, instead of the Sale, TPC, ASADV, FGC, etc. options that are given - this will print out a sign with the price for that specific DPCI (this is typically is necessary on 7x11s on Sales Plans, but it works with any size)
  • Push the shortcut for R + Enter (see below) instead of S + Enter to change sizes, it is much faster over time
  • Multiple Item: M + Enter - used when you are making signs with multiple price points (can make 3x5, 7x11, and 3x3 sizes)
  • You can shoot a single price point sign by only scanning one item, it is similar to using the Store Sign option mentioned above
  • Planogram: P + Enter - used to make signs for an entire planogram (scanthe POG label)
  • You can decide which signs to print out (3x5 white, 3x5 cardstock, 3x3 cardstock, 7x11, or all signs)
  • Be careful with this: any signs for the POG will print out, including future signs that are not valid yet
  • This is very useful for creating signs for endcaps (that have a current Sales Plan)
  • Creating signs involves pushing C + Enter a lot - make sure you learn the shortcut mentioned below
  • There are many other uses, I'm sure I forgot certain common ones

PDA - RF Apps
  • ESC or the green-dot button (depends on PDA model) = Shift + 7 + Enter
  • Cold boot (model 9060) = hold Power button longer than a warm boot, typically 10-15 seconds
  • Cold boot (model 9090) = partially remove battery, hold Power button and scanner trigger, push battery back in, release trigger and Power)
  • The four arrow keys above the letters will save you a ton of time
  • Left arrow = R + Enter (useful when changing size of signs you are creating)
  • Up arrow = U + Enter
  • Down arrow = D + Enter
  • Right arrow = C + Enter (very useful - you'd be surprised at how often you push C + Enter - particularly when making signs)

LPDA - RF Apps
  • Cold boot = hold down 1 + 9 + Power button until screen turns off
  • The buttons above the number buttons will save you time
  • Left grey button = Shift + 7 + Enter
  • Right grey button = E + Enter (this will take you to the RF Apps home screen)
  • Green phone = C + Enter (very useful - you'd be surprised at how often you push C + Enter - particularly when making signs)
  • Red phone = R + Enter (useful when changing size of signs you are creating)
  • Up arrow = U + Enter (does not work if ALT/orange is pushed)
  • Down arrow = D + Enter (does not work if ALT/orange is push)

This is fantastic!!! Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back