Archived PDA's being phased out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalesFloorSylph

Got any extra peghooks?
So apparently a lot of stores are getting rid of the PDA in favor of the mydevice.
I'm not sure if my store is doing this but is anyone else dealing with this issue? I think they got rid of some of the PDA apps which might mean it'll have the same fate as the LPDA.

I can't say I'm not concerned about this. For one, the PDA doesn't die on you after scanning five items and you can't exactly pull POG batches on the MyDevice either.

What do they plan on doing to the MyDevice if this happens? Will they modify then so you can pull batches or will you have to do that by pulling everything one at a time? THAT right there would be a giant pain in the ass but adding more apps wold do a number on the already pathetic battery life

the MyDevice is for the sales floor thusly, apps for the sales floor are now exclusively on the MyDevice not the PDA. the PDA is for backroom use only, so its backroom apps mostly on it. the MyDevice doesnt last long in the Freezer, so i cant imagine them trying to have it for normal backroom uses. especailly when PDAs are dropped and fall and at worst reset. a mydevice falling? from the wave? LOL

A lot of the apps on the PDA are being removed or already have been, PDAs are basically obsolete in my store besides back room purposes & Flexables. Can't process QMOs do SDA or the food order. The myD can do all of that but we have such a limited supply of them it's hard to do most of our work without hiding the myD in the STLs office

I think the idea is that sometime in the future the PDAs would be replaced entirely with newer equipment and redesigned programs. The original plan was probably the MyDevices but they've proven to be kind of limited. So now they're testing some replacements for those as well. Its been a while since I read the MyDevice thread but I think updates on what's going on with the plan gets brought up now and then.

Besides there's never any mydevices to go around at my store. You're lucky to even find two in the cradle and half of the time one of them has a dead scanner battery that won't charge and one of them has the time set waaay back and won't connect to the wifi.
I'm surprised anyone would ever even think it's a good idea to put PDA programs on the mydevice. That's just failure waiting to happen. If they're gonna get rid of the PDA I do hope the new thing is just as reliable.

They definitely need to make whatever replaces the PDAs have a changeable battery. The My Devices are crap but not being able to change the battery in them is EXTREMELY stupid.
YES. IT. IS. A lot of people at my store don't like the PDAs because they're big but when your mydevice battery dies, you're screwed. The replaceable battery is one of the best things about the PDA

So apparently a lot of stores are getting rid of the PDA in favor of the mydevice.
No they're not.

They've slowly been removing features from the PDA if its available on the iPod, and it has now gotten to the point where there is no real overlap (except for item search). The PDA is still used for most backroom functions, receiving (they actually got a new PDA app recently), and flexible fulfillment. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

A lot of the apps on the PDA are being removed or already have been, PDAs are basically obsolete in my store besides back room purposes & Flexables. Can't process QMOs do SDA or the food order. The myD can do all of that but we have such a limited supply of them it's hard to do most of our work without hiding the myD in the STLs office

We have this problem at my store. The mids always show up and lament a lack of my devices. I don't know why Target doesn't just provide more. Friendships die because of the lack of my devices.

Put yeah their scanners are a joke. Last maybe ten minutes.

Those look rather nice. And small enough to fit into the mydevice holders too. The PDA holders are kind of shitty and carrying the thing around kind of sucks too

The last I heard they were about to roll these out to test stores and hopefully all sometime next year. These have interchangeable batteries.
View attachment 2432

WELL IF WE HAD STARTED WITH ANDROID TO BEGIN WITH WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE ISSUES RIGHT NOW, WOULD WE???

Apple is shit and they are NOT good for retail work as evidenced by our comments.

Those look rather nice. And small enough to fit into the mydevice holders too. The PDA holders are kind of shitty and carrying the thing around kind of sucks too

Hell, we still have a bunch of LPDA holders that aren't going anywhere because they work for MyDevices.

WELL IF WE HAD STARTED WITH ANDROID TO BEGIN WITH WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE ISSUES RIGHT NOW, WOULD WE???

Apple is shit and they are NOT good for retail work as evidenced by our comments.

Hell, we still have a bunch of LPDA holders that aren't going anywhere because they work for MyDevices.
I like the LPDA holsters better anyway. That's what I have used since day 1 of myDevice debacle.

I politely disagree. But nobody will hear me over your screaming. Honeywell is the bigger culprit anyway. Their sleds are garage.

Yeah, the iPods themselves work perfectly fine. Its the Honeywell sleds that just don't work. How the hell these made it through testing, we'll never know. My guess is they had an unbeatable contract bid. You get what you pay for though.

I politely disagree. But nobody will hear me over your screaming. Honeywell is the bigger culprit anyway. Their sleds are garage.
Yup how the sleds battery in held in place is terrible plus it doesn't charge both the ipod and sled at 1 amp a piece even though it would be completely possible, so the damn thing would be fully charged in like 3 hours. That's partly why the sleds are always dead they take 6 hours to charge and at my store that will never happen that and their connectors aren't nearly redundant enough for dust and gunk.

Not to forget that you cannot make any selections on a mydevice in the freezer or any cooler without taking your gloves off. Although I wouldn't put it past spot to not care and just expect you to suffer without gloves. The PDA is perfect for backroom, they better not get rid of it for the mydevice. BRTMs will be very displeased

irrelevant to the current convo, but has anyone else noticed that some of the mydevices self-charge now?? it's happened twice to me in the last week with two separate mydevices. they would each hit under their 20% battery mark, the warning would pop-up, and then i'd hear the charging sound, and low and behold they were charging for a good ten minutes. off and on all day.

EG89YYC.gif

irrelevant to the current convo, but has anyone else noticed that some of the mydevices self-charge now?? it's happened twice to me in the last week with two separate mydevices. they would each hit under their 20% battery mark, the warning would pop-up, and then i'd hear the charging sound, and low and behold they were charging for a good ten minutes. off and on all day.

Yes, they're supposed to "borrow" power from the sled battery if the iPod battery gets too low.

Next time you notice that happening, check the sled battery and you may notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back