Archived Perfect Attendance Should Be Rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not Rocket Science.

You get scheduled, you show up.

Derp?

If you go a year without calling in, they will fix the squeaky wheel on the cart pusher. You're welcome.

I am of the philosophy that people shouldn't be rewarded for doing what they're expected to do. Granted, getting sick does happen and I've had my share of call-outs, but having a perfect attendance record simply means, "Hooray, you didn't get sick for X period of time and you never stayed home from work just because you felt like it. What a good boy, you! Being a responsible adult gets you a requisitioned beverage or snack from the front lanes." I mean, really, that's what we're saying when we reward people for such things.

I would suggest that you get a chance to be in a raffle to apply for a shiny, new red card. You win. Front end wins. The store wins. Everyone wins.

No punch correction and no call out for 6 months : I receive a straw mat for the beach with the store number on it !
I hate the beach ! Too much sand !

I am still baffled at the concept of being extra rewarded (or even recognized) in life for doing something that you are supposed to do !

It goes far beyond target !

Well slap me around and call me Susan.

Dose bastids!

No punch correction and no call out for 6 months : I receive a straw mat for the beach with the store number on it !
I hate the beach ! Too much sand !

I am still baffled at the concept of being extra rewarded (or even recognized) in life for doing something that you are supposed to do !

It goes far beyond target !

It's like a participation trophy.

My store does a drawing/raffle for those with perfect attendance and no compliance violations. I never won anything from it yet.

My store did something like this a few years ago. You got a little gift bag. I mean it was nice that you got recognized for showing up to work. I've only called out 3 times my 4 years so I think I'm good.

I have never called off and never been late the almost two years ive worked at target. Its always funny come review time when the girl who called off 15 times last year gets the same raise as me. I have figured it out .. if i show up everyday and do my work i will still get the same raise as someone who calls off all the time, works slow and complains about everything.

I have never called off and never been late the almost two years ive worked at target. Its always funny come review time when the girl who called off 15 times last year gets the same raise as me. I have figured it out .. if i show up everyday and do my work i will still get the same raise as someone who calls off all the time, works slow and complains about everything.

Sounds exactly right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have probably averaged about 5-6 call outs per year in the last 2 and half years between ice/snow weather (1 time), me sick (2 days) and children sick (the rest of the time). The first time I had a review and got outstanding I was pretty shocked. Compared to the other jobs I've worked, this might be acceptable but certainly not outstanding. My husband makes more than double what I make regular pay and 3 times as much on overtime so if someone has to stay home with the kids, its me. And Target doesn't close for bad weather, but it isn't worth risking my car slipping off the road. Target isn't going to fix my car and since I don't have enough hours for insurance they wouldn't contribute anything toward the doctors bill. I felt bad calling in but I heard that there were hardly any guests and the one cashier who did come in had no problem handling everyone.

I don't really think people should be rewarded for just doing the bare minimum - but that's just me ;) lol.

Yes, we all need rewards and recognition for everything we do, especially something as simple as showing up to work. Wait til you get a real job, your reward will be not getting fired for calling out.

Yes, we all need rewards and recognition for everything we do, especially something as simple as showing up to work. Wait til you get a real job, your reward will be not getting fired for calling out.

Actually funny you mention that! My "real job" gives me 40 hours of sick time a year. It is use it or lose it. After over a decade in retail this acceptance of missing time because you are sick is still baffling to me after almost 3 years behind a desk. I've gone to my "real job" with a cold and my boss was actually pissed I showed up and lectured me for 15 minutes before he kicked me out for the day.

Here's what I've noticed: people who call out and are late often don't get promoted. Your reward for showing up is a shot at a promotion. If you don't want to be promoted, fine, but most people I know at target that complain about not being promoted or given raises often have attendance issues. There are cases where favourtism exists, but for the most part, if you show up on time and do what you're asked, it will be noticed.

Attendance is one of the easiest ways to get ahead of others. It offers a sense of reliability that some people just can't seem to get.

I've called out twice in under a year, both for a death in the family (day after the death and the funeral). There are some times calling out is unavoidable.

In 2 years I've only called out two consecutive days when I had the stomach flu. Any other day I've done a swap shift. And I agree, people with superb attendance should get a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back