Performance out

I have to ask the hard question knowing that I'm severely lacking in this area.

I don't know how to properly performance out a team member.

I don't think any leads at my store are trained well either. We have a lot of team members that are pulling us down. And keeping them on because we don't know how to properly remove them is hurting us.

Can someone, explain the process so that it's professional and consistent?

I want to share this with my leadership team so we can better address the weak players and maybe get them up to snuff or get them outta way.

If you have a TM that's consistently not making performance goals, you need to document it in Workday. Essentially, most performance issues require 3 documented performance conversations before moving on to a corrective action (CCA). You need 3 CCAs of the same type for most things for a termination.

In the case of seasonal or probational TMs, anything warranting a single CCA is usually enough to term.

When writing the performance conversations, the important thing is to be thorough and to be professional and unemotional in your writing. Use facts and metrics; use expectations vs. what was accomplished. Follow the guide that's given on the top of the Workday page. It usually goes as follows: Behavior, impact, TM response, next steps.

"[TM], on [date], you failed to perform by doing [behavior/action].

This impacts the store by [lowering X metric, lowering guest satisfaction, causing use of additional payroll, loss of sales, etc.] (this always varies depending on the performance issue, ex. Slow UPH in OPU causes orders to back up and orders are late, resulting in lower guest satisfaction).

You said [TM response here]. (Usually I will add rebuttal to their response if I had any during the conversation, or any other comments here as well.)

Going forward/In the future/etc., ensure you do not perform [performance issue at hand]. Failure to do so could result in additional performance conversations, including corrective actions [or termination]."

Corrective is much longer and more thorough, and usually refers back to each written performance conversation that is relevant to the CCA. You usually need dates and such for each, but if you wrote your convos well that should be easy. This is then sent to your HRTL/ETL-HR for HR approval, and can be sent back to you if it needs changes. I'd recommend partnering with them before starting a CCA though so they're aware the process is beginning.

Essentially, performance issues are a 3 CCA then term thing, which sucks. It's effectively 9 full performance conversations and 3 approved CCAs.

Lastly, look up resources on the HR SharePoint. There is a performance conversations page, correctives page, examples PDFs, etc. Incredibly helpful. I had to get familiar as we were out an SD for a year and had a new HR. Some pages are role restricted, so ETL or HR may only be able to read certain documents.

First of all, go into this assuming that the person wants/is able to improve. It does happen.

Gather Job Description, routines, attendance (if applicable), any metric reports that apply.

The first step is to level set expectations. This should be a closed door convo that takes more than 60 seconds. I know it is hard to take the time, but this first step is essential and will save time in the long run. Document this in Workday as a level setting convo. This will be somewhat different depending on department. This is also where you can find out if they have knowledge gaps or scheduling problems, etc. . . .

After that, it is all about follow up. If you have partner TLs, help each other out on your respective days off. So, if your tm is observed not greeting guests, you follow up with them. "Do you remember last week when we talked about the expectation being that we greet every guest? What is preventing you from doing that?" If they have a legit reason, remove the roadblock. If not, reiterate the expectation. Or, if they can't present their business to you on daily check-in, or sfs metrics are not green, etc, follow the same format.

When you document, use the good old SBIe model. It's fine if you write out the words as headers. Be clear that you had set the expectation, and the team member did not meet it. I would have HR look at the first one just to make sure it passes muster.

You can have weekly meetings with team members who are really not cutting it. 3 convos CA, 3 more convos Final. At this point, I would just level with them that they are about to lose their job.

Some things are pretty cut and dried--attendance, long breaks, not greeting--and you can resolve them quickly. The TM fixes the problem or he doesn't, will vs skill. Matters of performance can be more difficult around not meeting metrics. Are there reasons the person cannot meet the expectation? Could he thrive elsewhere? TBH, it is usually a matter of talking to other team members or not asking (SRP, Circle), but not always.

First of all, go into this assuming that the person wants/is able to improve. It does happen.

Gather Job Description, routines, attendance (if applicable), any metric reports that apply.

The first step is to level set expectations. This should be a closed door convo that takes more than 60 seconds. I know it is hard to take the time, but this first step is essential and will save time in the long run. Document this in Workday as a level setting convo. This will be somewhat different depending on department. This is also where you can find out if they have knowledge gaps or scheduling problems, etc. . . .

After that, it is all about follow up. If you have partner TLs, help each other out on your respective days off. So, if your tm is observed not greeting guests, you follow up with them. "Do you remember last week when we talked about the expectation being that we greet every guest? What is preventing you from doing that?" If they have a legit reason, remove the roadblock. If not, reiterate the expectation. Or, if they can't present their business to you on daily check-in, or sfs metrics are not green, etc, follow the same format.

When you document, use the good old SBIe model. It's fine if you write out the words as headers. Be clear that you had set the expectation, and the team member did not meet it. I would have HR look at the first one just to make sure it passes muster.

You can have weekly meetings with team members who are really not cutting it. 3 convos CA, 3 more convos Final. At this point, I would just level with them that they are about to lose their job.

Some things are pretty cut and dried--attendance, long breaks, not greeting--and you can resolve them quickly. The TM fixes the problem or he doesn't, will vs skill. Matters of performance can be more difficult around not meeting metrics. Are there reasons the person cannot meet the expectation? Could he thrive elsewhere? TBH, it is usually a matter of talking to other team members or not asking (SRP, Circle), but not always.
Just out of curiosity, are there stores that really care about greeting and would actually write up a TM for not doing so? Because I'm like 99.9% sure there's very little greeting going on at my store and no write ups happening.

Just out of curiosity, are there stores that really care about greeting and would actually write up a TM for not doing so? Because I'm like 99.9% sure there's very little greeting going on at my store and no write ups happening.
Yep. My SD has been taking it very seriously.

Top of the list in my district. (also a pretty easy example to use for my purposes).

i have had like six documented performance convos with tms about this in the past 2 weeks

Appreciate the thorough responses everyone.

We're in dire need of quality HR guidance at my store. My SD loves to say how we never have any performance conversations with our team members, when it comes time to let them go. But, they're not very helpful with showing us how to performance a team members. So, it feels very passive aggressive.

I'm lucky to have a team of quality players under my guidance; so my needs are limited as far as giving out performance conversations. It doesn't hurt to know how though and I've had TMs in the past that I wish I could have motivated better with these types of conversations. Where we're hurting most is in our Inbound team. It's suffering from lackadaisical performers and the lead over that area is similarly under trained as far as HR-related conversations. So, if I can find out where this information is, I can pass it on to them. And then maybe we'll start to see improvement within that area.

Appreciate the thorough responses everyone.

We're in dire need of quality HR guidance at my store. My SD loves to say how we never have any performance conversations with our team members, when it comes time to let them go. But, they're not very helpful with showing us how to performance a team members. So, it feels very passive aggressive.

I'm lucky to have a team of quality players under my guidance; so my needs are limited as far as giving out performance conversations. It doesn't hurt to know how though and I've had TMs in the past that I wish I could have motivated better with these types of conversations. Where we're hurting most is in our Inbound team. It's suffering from lackadaisical performers and the lead over that area is similarly under trained as far as HR-related conversations. So, if I can find out where this information is, I can pass it on to them. And then maybe we'll start to see improvement within that area.
That’s a good boy.

I have to ask the hard question knowing that I'm severely lacking in this area.

I don't know how to properly performance out a team member.

I don't think any leads at my store are trained well either. We have a lot of team members that are pulling us down. And keeping them on because we don't know how to properly remove them is hurting us.

Can someone, explain the process so that it's professional and consistent?

I want to share this with my leadership team so we can better address the weak players and maybe get them up to snuff or get them outta way.

A word of advice, don't use the term "performance out".

If people have performance issues the goal should be to bring them to up to par, not get rid of them. Turnover (while necessary, and I am the biggest advocate of accountability) is costly and unproductive, something a lot of Target salaried leadership has a hard time understanding.

Frame the conversation from a place of "Hey, I noticed you're struggling with this thing. Let's talk about it and see if I can help you improve" instead of "Your performance is not adequate". The former puts the person in the mindset of "I want to get better and PogDog wants to help me" as opposed to "I need to improve or I will be fired". Fear is a good motivator but it's unsustainable. You will see slower team growth with the first method, but better long term results. Document these conversations, and eventually, if the person doesn't improve, shitcanning them is a lot easier. Because you're not the bad guy, you're the guy who tried to help them succeed.

That being said some people just have poor ethic, or don't care. In those cases after method one fails, it's time to have an earnest conversation with them about their prospects, at which point they'll likely quit and save you the trouble.

In my store the team members we are holding accountable we make sure to have conversations weekly. This ensures we are being consistent and if/when the time comes for termination have all our ducks in a row. That being said if your leadership team hasnt been having performance conversations, some team members might not even realize they are underperforming. I suggest each department comes up with daily routines for 2021.
Example
-collect reshop and walk department
-pull 1 for 1 then push mancaf and reshop
-push truck and zone
-audit outs
-backstock
-price changes
-sales planners
I would also put together expectations
Ex. Push a box a minute -INF goal- UPH goal Fill to need % whatever metric pertsins to workcenter.

During reviews I would level set with the entire team to ensure all leaders and tm are on the same page. As your store starts to hold team members accountable please make sure you are fair and consistent.

These are great suggestions and I wish several of our TL’s and ETL’s would do this. Often team members are not aware their performance is not up to par. Target culture spends too much time pointing out the negatives without helping them improve. Positive reinforcement is also a great motivator.

Example
-collect reshop and walk department
-pull 1 for 1 then push mancaf and reshop
-push truck and zone
-audit outs
-backstock
-price changes
-sales planners
Reshop , zone , item fill
Pull , push and backstock 141 ,
Truck and audit
Would be a better way to be more accurate

A lot of you are posting the 5 routines, which rolled out with the DBO process. I've been an advocate of these routines since they rolled out. They're tangible habits that can be used to hold someone accountable. Along with a set DBO in the area, which helps when things go south. You can easily identify that the issue is between the team member and their workload (we all know that trucks are far from consistent and one truck might have 200+ items for a business owner one day and 30 the next) or a lack of training to complete the routines necessary.

Our store fell off the DBO routine process when the pandemic hit. I think a lot of stores in our area did. We fell back to old systems (FLOW) to get the workload done. Now, we're in a weird between state… trying to reinstate DBOs, but also relying on Inbound to handle most of the PP1 push. I don't like this situation. It is exposing Inbound team members are not able to sustain this workload (they're sloppy and honestly at this point, they just don't care if it gets done or not). So, we're stuck using team members that are expected to do a large portion of the work, but aren't being held accountable for it (or anything else). So, when they check out, that lack of completely the work daily creates ripples of extra work that carry over to the next truck and the cycle continues.

I think better habits of holding the team accountable to either help them improve (or pressure them out) is definitely needed. We also need to fill those missing DBO spots and get back to routines. I'd rather support and empower team members that want to improve and do the work. It's hard to do that with team members that are constantly asked to stay to just get the workload done, in areas that they don't give two shits about, none less.

32919250_getpreview.png

What about the FOS? We document all conversations under performance improvement plans. These include attendance. Should we be lumping everything performance related under PIP? This is especially hard now, when we’ve cut hours to the point that no one can do everything expected of them. Have any of you been told that you have a documentation quota? We’ve been told it’s three a week.

Can I just say how much I hate the concept of performancing people out?
If they aren't doing the job you give them goals to reach and the tools they need to reach the goals.
You figure out why they aren't about to reach the goals.
Ultimately if it's because they don't want to and don't fit in then you might have to let them go but take responsibility for that.
Maybe, they would work out better in a different department or you could do job carving where you create a job that works perfectly for them.
Oh, the idea of creating a job that works for them seems crazy?
Well, not everybody is one size fits all.
We do that all the time in DVR.
We carve out jobs that fit people with certain kinds of disabilities all the time.
And it it works, the company gets an amazing, loyal employee who does a great job, and the employee is doing a job they are good at every day.
What a concept.
It doesn't just have to be for people with disabilities.
We really need to work towards peoples strengths rather then ding them for their weaknesses.

@commiecorvus i agree. However some people are just so stuck up on what they want that they don’t want to take advice . I had tm in inbound d where I tried my hardest to explain to them that inbound is just not a good fit for them and that I can have them do something else in the store like flex fill , gm or even cashier . I would schedule them one day in those departments and they would come back and say they want inbound because of the no interaction with the guest however they couldn’t pull their weight. And at that point i was left with little to no choice.

@commiecorvus i agree. However some people are just so stuck up on what they want that they don’t want to take advice . I had tm in inbound d where I tried my hardest to explain to them that inbound is just not a good fit for them and that I can have them do something else in the store like flex fill , gm or even cashier . I would schedule them one day in those departments and they would come back and say they want inbound because of the no interaction with the guest however they couldn’t pull their weight. And at that point i was left with little to no choice.

So they clearly can't handle customer interaction which is why they prefer inbound.
What is it about inbound that isn't a good fit for them?
They don't work fast enough, independently enough, accurately enough?
Did you explain that to them?
Give them a chance to improve those skills?
Well, I'm sure you did but many don't.
Giving them an improvement plan with achievable goals to reach would help both of you.
That way it would clear you aren't trying to punish them.
You would be helping them improve themselves and improve your team.

Also, as much as I hate the entire concept, if they can't be bothered to reach the goals you have a clear window for moving them out.

So they clearly can't handle customer interaction which is why they prefer inbound.
What is it about inbound that isn't a good fit for them?
They don't work fast enough, independently enough, accurately enough?
Did you explain that to them?
Give them a chance to improve those skills?
Well, I'm sure you did but many don't.
Giving them an improvement plan with achievable goals to reach would help both of you.
That way it would clear you aren't trying to punish them.
You would be helping them improve themselves and improve your team.

Also, as much as I hate the entire concept, if they can't be bothered to reach the goals you have a clear window for moving them out.
Believe me I tried . I had this person on the line struggling , missing almost all the boxes , not being able to memorize the custom blocks , so I asked how can I help, the question was how I do it. I said there’s a few ways that I do the line , I go by custom block ,or memorize the aisle or I do it by department and class , I said I don’t expect you to know it like I do but here is few ways I do it. Tried that didn’t work . Then I gave this person 1 bay alone , plastic , paper and babies . Again missing all the boxes. Then I put this person at the end of the line again line would get backup up waiting for the boxes to be picked off the line . My last suggestion was let’s put you in the truck , this is the time that we have to finish by , and the pick label needs to be up when it hits the skate . After a panel and a half said that it’s to much. At that point I feel like I tried everything I could and that’s when I suggested all the other areas had this person scheduled there , then after a week wanted back in inbound and again explained the expectations and I can’t have everyone else pick up the slack.

Last edited:
Back