Archived Personal Development Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Currently a TL at Target and wondering what types of options there are in terms of personal development? Either at store or HQ level. I am trying to figure out what I want to work towards in my time at Target. Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't count on a HQ position... Store to HQ career jumps are extremely rare! So much so that when I was an intern and someone asked about going from ETL to HQ the Group Manager (or whoever is the head of the group, I forgot) said that, "Well look at this way, we're developing you to a run a store. You will spend your time in the store. That training really doesn't translate to HQ jobs. Plus there is more career potential in the stores." So don't count on it. Does it happen? Yes, after years of being in an ETL-level role and you better be the cream of the crop.

As for your plan.. What do you want to learn more? Consider learning about TL positions, but express interest in Sr. TL/ETL (if you have a degree). Go on workbench and read the core roles for other TL positions and ETLs. Keep in mind that they look at leadership moves in 18 (sometimes shorter, if a high potential candidate or longer) month timeframes.

But also look at your end game? Do you want to be an ETL? STL? Have some kind of goal in your mind for the longterm and short-term goals as well... For example, maybe your long term goal is to be an STL but right now you want to learn more about logistics... So maybe you want to be a flow team leader, and want to develop to an ETL role. It's kinda vague, but will give your ETL the information she needs to help you develop!

Ive been at target for three years. I'm trying to move up. Ive been in consumables. I've worked in bakery, food avenue produce. Now I'm back in consumables. I'm trying to get the food assistant job. Will find out tomorrow

I would have to disagree with bullseyekindsguy. In my opinion, I see a lot of opportunity in the HQ side of things.

To put it in the simplest form that I am sure you have heard before, you own your development and can really make whatever you want of it. One thing to remember is do not get in the mindset of every 18 months you need to move departments or promote. Sometimes things are delayed because its not right. Right person, Right place, Right time is something my group preaches a lot.

I would have to disagree with bullseyekindsguy. In my opinion, I see a lot of opportunity in the HQ side of things.

To put it in the simplest form that I am sure you have heard before, you own your development and can really make whatever you want of it. One thing to remember is do not get in the mindset of every 18 months you need to move departments or promote. Sometimes things are delayed because its not right. Right person, Right place, Right time is something my group preaches a lot.

I said they were rare, not impossible, but rare.

There are 1,700+ stores. Each store would have at least 3 ETL positions and STL roles. But on the HQ side, there may only be only a few hundred positions available. Do the math on who will have the most open positions.

Also, people that are going from stores to HQ are probably going to be high-profile districts and stores.

Simply put: If you are in an ULV in the middle of nowhere that isn't being used for some sort of pilot or test, your chances of getting an HQ position will so much less then someone in a high-volume store near Minnesota.

Further, Target doesn't consider store positions a "natural" career step to HQ. There are retailers and other companies (I work for a hotel chain now) that do consider (and actually have programs to develop) field employees who wish to obtain HQ-level positions. I have a friend who was just recently promoted from a hardlines manager position at Sears to an inventory analyst.

Yes, you do own your development. Just be ready to fight tooth and nail for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back