Archived pFresh - What's your store like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've gathered by reading a few different threads that not all store's handle pFresh the same way. Does anyone know if there's a BP on exactly how pFresh/Market is to be run? I'd be interested in reading it, because it seems like most stores have varying degrees of how they run things, lol.

I thought it might be interesting to list some basic facts about my store and how we run pFresh, and see what other stores do. I'll list in bullet point so it's easier to read.

- C Volume store
- I need to check our Store Facts sheet again, but I believe our pFresh makes about 2mil in sales.
- pFresh opened in June of '10
- We have two PA's. I've been a PA for about four months, and our other PA has been in that positon for two years.
- We have about four TM's who are pFresh trained and cover the shifts that the PA's cannot.
- I don't know offhand what our allocated hours are per week; I will check and get back to you.
- Our pFresh hours are 6am - 10:30/9:30 daily. On most days there will be an opener, closer and mid, although right now with cut hours we're making do with just and opener and closer and the closer leaves at 9:30pm. PA's get 7-8 hour shifts normally; other Market TM's are 5-6 depending on the shift and day.
- We are scheduled under Market.
- PA's get 38-40 hours normally. Right now we're in severe hour cuts and we're still scheduled about 35 hours each. Reg. Market TM's get substantually less but they work in other departments during the week.
- Our CTL covers hardlines and dry market. I'm not sure if her hours come out of the Market pool or Hardlines but I think it's Hardlines. She used to take Market shifts before I was transferred but now I think she does maybe one every other week? Can't remember.
- Market TM's are responsible for pFresh (the horseshoe), dairy and freezer. We do not touch dry market except for SDA's and Freshness Friday's. Dry Market is covered by Hardlines and our CTL is responsible for all the endcaps there. Since the hours got cut they have asked Market closers to zone paper, but that's new and probably temporary.
- PA's are responsible for wine endcaps and the four freezer/dairy endcaps. We usually split them up amongst ourselves and sometimes our CTL will take wine.
- We are FDC serviced. We receive deliveries three times a week.
- PA's are responsible for placing the order.
- Flow handles the truck when it comes in and pushes and backstocks it. We will help out if we have time.
- Backroom pulls all of our CAF's and batches. My store is pretty...hands off when it comes to that? I wasn't even really shown how to do basic backroom functions until I trained at another store where TM's are more versatile. We leave backstock for them although I will sometimes do it myself if it's piling up and bothering me.
- PA's handle TPC's and we only TPC on truck days. We used to do them every day and it was just too confusing, so now only two people handle them and we do our main TPC's on truck days and then daily TPC's for outgoing dated product. We only TPC the product that we're responsible for ordering.
- PA's are on a set schedule with alternating weekends. This Feb I got my schedule messed with because they eliminated all mid shifts because of the hours, so I had to either open or close on days that I normally mid. Other than that, I always know when I'm working on any given day although the start time can vary depending on payroll.
- We have a cleaning log that has weekly cleaning projects broken down by shift per day. For instance, on Monday the opener will FIFO/clean deli and cheese, the mid will clean the freezer doors and the closer will sweep/mop the Ambient room. On Tuesday the opener will FIFO/clean half the produce sections, etc. etc. It covers a vast majority of all the cleaning tasks needed, although there are a few that we have to pencil in on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, such as cleaning the WACO's or scrubbing out the dairy shelves.

Typical shifts look like this:
Open: 6am start. If it's a PA, we'll work till 2:30. If it's a Market TM, then they usually stay till 11:30 or 12:30 and a PA comes in at 9 or 10.
Mid: 9-5:30. As a PA I do mids 2-3 times a week; it helps to keep me out on the floor during the busiest part of the day.
Close: PA close will be 2-10:30, Market TM will be 5-10:30.

Did I leave anything out? lol! Now it's your turn!

No, no 4am shift scheduled for Market TM's. Flow pushes the pulls that come out then, which is a mixed bag IMHO because they keep overstocking my bakery table. :p We're working on that, though. Like I said, we're not responsible for the truck so it's covered by pFresh trained flow and backroom TM's.

No, we're a regular pFresh. We get trucks like normal, but the Market/pFresh team isn't responsible for it. The store I trained at was a ULV pFresh and their Market TM's pushed and backstocked the trucks, but like I said, they were a ULV...they had time. There's no way my team would have time to do the truck and still keep brand. We were one of the first Targets to get pFresh and have been a test store for various pFresh things (like those awesome yogurt pushers!) and our ETL and STL take pride in keeping pFresh running to perfection. Honestly I think we must make a decent amount of sales for the store because they're pretty generous to us. I know our pFresh is one of the top ones in the District.

- PA's handle TPC's and we only TPC on truck days. We used to do them every day and it was just too confusing, so now only two people handle them and we do our main TPC's on truck days and then daily TPC's for outgoing dated product. We only TPC the product that we're responsible for ordering.

This seems a bit crazy to me...

I would also think it must make your area look like crap at times because you either hAve regular priced short dated items or you sell out of a tpc'd short dated item and have holes on the floor.

Im curious as to what your margins look like.

Also why dont you tpc other items?

What happens when you get 20 cases of chobani pushed on you, or you get a bunch of protein drinks?

Pretty sure your ctl isnt remotely following bp in terms of tpcs and is seemingly trying to cheat the system into makin you green for tpcs.

I should have clarified. We do short dated TPCs every day; but we only do excess inventory TPCs on truck days. You know, like I have two cases of celery that's been there a week.

As far as everything else, it's a good question. The store I trained at did TPCs on all their items, and when I went back to my store I asked my CTL and ETL about it and they both said they didn't think it was BP to do it. Of course, if we get an absurd amount of something we might TPC it, but honestly, we don't throw away that much HQ ordered stuff. Our yogurt sells down pretty well.

This seems a bit crazy to me...

I would also think it must make your area look like crap at times because you either hAve regular priced short dated items or you sell out of a tpc'd short dated item and have holes on the floor.

Im curious as to what your margins look like.

Also why dont you tpc other items?

What happens when you get 20 cases of chobani pushed on you, or you get a bunch of protein drinks?

Pretty sure your ctl isnt remotely following bp in terms of tpcs and is seemingly trying to cheat the system into makin you green for tpcs.

The policy on TPCS changed a while back. Before you could TPC anything and it wasnt a big deal but HQ wanted us to only TPC the things we order and mysupport the items that we dont if we need to TPC them. For example I have 10 cases of jimmy dean sausage all going out in 2-3 weeks and keep getting more in. Mysupport it and then TPC if they want you to

Hmmm interesting i have a pretty proactive etl. So if i dont tpc it he'll end up doing it if he notices it.

No, we're a regular pFresh. We get trucks like normal, but the Market/pFresh team isn't responsible for it. The store I trained at was a ULV pFresh and their Market TM's pushed and backstocked the trucks, but like I said, they were a ULV...they had time. There's no way my team would have time to do the truck and still keep brand. We were one of the first Targets to get pFresh and have been a test store for various pFresh things (like those awesome yogurt pushers!) and our ETL and STL take pride in keeping pFresh running to perfection. Honestly I think we must make a decent amount of sales for the store because they're pretty generous to us. I know our pFresh is one of the top ones in the District.

Yogurt pushers!? What in the world... That sounds heavenly.

They ARE heavenly. They are made of clear plastic and are open in the front...they are manually "pushed" by pulling a plastic tab. That way, nothing is popping out due to spring pressure. They fit about 12 cartons apiece and the Chobanis are a snug fit but we just squeeze 'em in. You get spoiled on them...we have those yogurt endcaps now and don't have enough pushers for them, so I know how hard it is to keep it FIFOd and zoned.

Only drawback is that they're a bit cheaply made and can jam. Also, if mold grows in certain spots, its physically impossible to clean and you have to throw the whole thing out. We have extras, but I doubt we could get more so I shudder to think of the day that we'll run out. Fortunately, they don't mold often and I usually can clean them if they do.

Hi,

My store got Pfresh in 2009. We were an A volume store before and now AA after going pfresh.

-The leadership at my store really lets myself and the other PA run pfresh without much intervention. We have both been PAs for over 5 years combined and at this point know more about pfresh than the brand new ETLs.
-We did ~$5.5m sales in 2011.
-Currently we are running on 185 hours with two PA and our CTL works one shift a week in Pfresh, the rest are HL hours for our CTL. Myself and the other PA are both 35+ hours each. ---On holiday weeks we see around 200 hours with 230 during 4th quarter.
-The overnight team pushes and backstocks the FDC truck which comes 3 times a week unless the truck comes late then that falls on to Pfresh and dayside backroom team to finish.
-A general current pfresh schedule for me;
Open - 6-2:30
Mid #1 - 9-1:00
Mid #2 - 2:30-7:30
Close - 12:30-9
The mid shifts can vary but we do have a minimum of 3 people overlap on order days. We used to have someone in earlier to help with tasks on truck mornings but that was outside the scheduling guardrail so we had to scrap it.

-We do TPCs every day, though the bulk of them occur on tuck days while consulting the FDC push and cut report. If we feel like something is underperforming we will initiate a TPC on non truck days.
-We are only responsible for produce, dairy, meat, and freezers. We don't have any responsibilities in dry other than guest requests or lane calls.
-The BR team pulls our hourly CAFS as well as manual CAFS we drop at night (PRO1, PRO2, and MTCL).
-We are responsible for cleaning and have a cleaning calendar we make each month assigning a task to each day to ensure completion. We are responsible for the BR cleaning on non-tuck days as a way to ensure the overnight team leaves the preproom clean.
-One PA is responsible for all bunker POGs and revisions and the other is responsible for all freezer and dairy endcap POGs.
-PAs order. The only other orderers are the CTL and ETL-Food for backups.

Our food dashboard currently runs mostly green with the only 'opportunities' as;
-Order Guardrail Compliance (Absolutely HATE the current ordering function)
-TM available in grocery

I feel that for the most part pfresh runs well at my store. My store is defiantly feeling growing pains though as our grocery department is laid out in the old style with freezers along the grocery wall which makes navigating an interesting ordeal for us and guests. We also still have the original produce and bakery tables so every POG we get are for the higher capacity tables so we have to mysupport each and every quantity or the product won't come out on pulls (very annoying actually). We are told that the new tables are on backorder and hopefully we will get them soon. Those yogurt pushers sound equally amazing as zoning yogurt is like zoning shampoo.

Our milk comes in Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. We get trucks on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays, so we only get both on one day. That would be something to talk to your CTL about asking the vendor to change delivery days...not sure how easy or even possible that would be, but it's worth a try.

We're not an overnight store, but I am SO GLAD we don't have to receive and push our trucks. That would be annoying. Our TM in receiving used to be a PA so she takes the order and temps it and looks it over, and then it goes to a pFresh flow team to push. It's usually pushed or in the process of being pushed by the time I come in at 6am, although sometimes the truck comes later and doesn't get pushed until 9 or 10am.

Btw I checked our sales and our pFresh does 3.6mil annually. I don't know if that accounts for a massive power outage we had in August that resulted in the QMOS'ing of EVERY SINGLE PERISHABLE in the building, but there you go, lol. Wouldn't they have billed that to insurance? Anyway, on a random note, our QMOS score is higher than it's supposed to be but we think it was because of the power outage, lol. Having to chuck everything out can do that to ya!

Oh, and our daily cleaning task list is something that our PA wrote out on Excel and printed out; it's not a BP thing. Pretty easy to make and you can adjust it for who works on what day so the cleaning load is even.

For cleaning we came up with a very simple solution. My CTL just printed out the monthly sheet along with the other sheet that has daily/weekly. For the weekly tasks they wrote who is to do what, doesnt matter what day they do it. For the monthly they did the same, so that person will be responsible for the same thing every month. So, lets say one person has the backroom freezer to clean, 25% of the salesfloor, in this case G6 which is produce, yogurt, juice, and the pfresh bunker. I think this makes it easy and assigns responsibility to make sure it gets done. If something isnt done you know who to go to. For the daily cleaning usually the opener takes care of that.

Also our Milk ONLY comes tuesday and friday which sucks. I usually open tuesday and milk comes in around 8, and then I also have the order and research to do that day. Then our C+S truck comes in between 12-2 and we have to put them in the correct rooms to be pushed the next day. Friday, milk comes in around 8, we have freshness friday around 8, C+S push around 9, then the order.

Last edited:
We have 1 PA come in at 6am every day of the week to do cull/sda fill floor before 8.

On non truck days that PA works until 2:30 and closer comes in to work 2:30-11, a market team member comes in at 6 to zone dry grocery.

On truck days a 2nd PA comes in at either 8 or 9 and we get our trucks between 7-8 am. We have logistics TM's who push all the dairy, juice, and deli. The PA's are responsible for working the meat and produce. Two market TM's close on truck days one in pfresh and one in dry.

This works great other then the fact that the backstock is never finished and you can forget about the produce/meat cooler being backstocked on a truck day. I honestly don't mind this though, because it prevents the BR from accidentally pulling the newer dated product since its usually not located and might be b-coded.

We keep a binder of all our short dated push items to reference for TPC's and orders, since our BR can be a bit of a mess at times and the gun is usually not accurate in terms of on hands for many of the items.

To my fellow PAs, CTLs, TLs, ETLs, HR and anyone else:
Are CTLs “supposed” to be scheduled in hardlines 4 times a week with 1 shift in p fresh? And are PAs and market team members supposed to run p fresh with the CTL overseeing p fresh?

Our CTL was scheduled 32 hours in pfresh but with all the off stage and vendor communication, the time she was spending in pfresh was really low. We convinced our ETL that myself and the other PA can run pfresh and the CTL can focus more on dry market.

How did you make this and how does it work? It is hard for my team to complete cleaning tasks (weekly and monthly). I noticed you said your store is overnight, so that must mean you and your fellow PA does not receive trucks. At my store, I, my CTL and fellow PA receive trucks 3 times a week at the 4am hour. With us receiving the trucks and the busy weekends, we can’t complete all the tasks.

What I have done is assign a # to each monthly cleaning and weekly cleaning tasks and then print out a calendar on MS Word for that month with the corresponding cleaning # for that day. It doesn't matter who does it on the assigned day as long as it gets done. This has worked pretty well and when before only 50% of the monthly cleaning would be getting done it is now nearly always 100% complete.

Also, on weekends, aren’t you suppose to have more coverage than during the weekdays? We are a 4am store. Every Saturday, our truck receiver comes in 4am-12pm then our mid comes in 11-6 and the closer comes in 230-1030. On Sundays, an order day, our opener comes in 7am to 1pm, our mid comes in 11-6 (always me) and our closer comes in 430-930. So our opener has to do the usual opener stuff (cull, SDA and reweigh meats) plus push all the autofills by themselves. Most of the time, they don’t get it done as Sundays autofills are huge. So when I come in, I have to help to finish the autofills, fills up whatever produce is light and backstock all produce and meat for when I do the order. Then after all that, I have to try and get the p fresh inventory guide done and then do the order. During this time, cafs are building up and the high sellers are getting light.)

We usually run 30 hours on a Saturday and 24 on a Sunday for hours. We order Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. It takes us about an hour to hour and a half to order. We don't bother with the inventory guide, it seems like a really redundant tool for us.

One more question, are milk delivers supposed to come in on non-truck/non order days? I ask because our milk delivery’s come in at the same day as our truck deliveries which includes coming in on Saturdays (the busiest day of the week for p fresh)

We get milk deliveries every day except for Sunday unless it's on sale, so on truck days it's imperative that the overnight team gets the dairy cooler fully backstocked before 6:00 or the milk guy will not be very happy...

Some interesting differences here! I was a PA up until last fall and had been a PA for about 2 years at that point.

We're AA volume, maybe AA+ now I forget.
CTL is always scheduled under hardlines, she usually runs the truck. Our opening CTL/PA come in at 5:15, and our trucks usually come between 5 and 8 am. The push is worked out by the market team and help from the rest of the sales floor and back stocked by backroom team members. We have 3 PAs (used to be 2, I was replaced by 2 when I promoted). A truck day schedule generally looks like: PA+CTL@5:15, Market TM @8:00, PA@9:00, Market TM@10:00, PA@12:00, and then for closing 2-3X Market TM @4:00/5:00, Market TM @7:00. Two of those closers would be in PFresh and two in dry market.

The CTL, PAs, and Market TMs are all responsible for all endcaps, it just depends on scheduling for the week (but the CTL plans the schedule). PAs do all ordering, although only two them are experienced at it so far. After the inventory management guide was discontinued I made my own in Excel and the team still uses it. We kept it going mainly just because sometimes we have a lot of issues with on-hands (mainly due to our BR team) so just trusting the order app will fail you. We've also had a lot of issues with inaccurate forecasting at times.

And then once a month we get to have the fun group training day where our FBP comes in with a whole bunch of TL/ETL for food training.

Since there is no Market TM in at the time, flow does it at our store.

I have always wondered this, who is suppose to work the morning autofills (not 730am cafs) in p fresh in a 4am store on a non truck day? I would like to know what everyone else does and what target says we are suppose to be doing if possible.

Wouldnt whoever is in market do it. We are very low volume and come in at 6am for pfresh and we have to push it in the morning. Usually takes til about 7 or 7:30. Then we have to fill the milk along with the bananas, and SDA, Attend Huddle, Break, then the Walk and culling sometime in there

I have always wondered this, who is suppose to work the morning autofills (not 730am cafs) in p fresh in a 4am store on a non truck day? I would like to know what everyone else does and what target says we are suppose to be doing if possible.

Wouldnt whoever is in market do it. We are very low volume and come in at 6am for pfresh and we have to push it in the morning. Usually takes til about 7 or 7:30. Then we have to fill the milk along with the bananas, and SDA, Attend Huddle, Break, then the Walk and culling sometime in there

Flow does it at my store.... unfortunately. They have been the source of a lot of bakery overstock, regular overstock, FIFO issues, etc. over the years. When they do the pulls they frequently put all of meat jumbled together in a shopping cart, no food safety issue there! Or if the pulls are small they put all of meat AND produce in one cart. They've also dumped whole casepacks of lemons into a cart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back