Archived Phone interview at 10 am in the morning tomorrow, need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Phone interview went well, was told I'd be getting a call Monday and Tuesday to schedule a face to face with team leader and HR.

So I finally got a call back this week yesterday. The woman asked if I would be interested in the logistics/flow team dept. I said of course. She then asked if I had 100% open availability, I do, if I have any vacations coming up, I don't, then told me the pay would be 10.50 an hour plus extra pay but my phone cut out so I'm not sure where the extra pay comes from. I was very enthusiastic, so she then told me great, and that my first interview will be over the phone tomorrow at 10 am.

So I'm wondering what should I expect in this interview? Is it possible that if it goes well he will have me come in tomorrow to the store as well for the second interview? Or that my next one will be next week? (The waiting is killing me.) Any chance I could be hired over the phone?

Any advice as to what the best answer to be as to why I want to work for Target? I know saying something like 'Because i like to shop there' is a terrible response. I was thinking something along the lines of 'I love the hours as I'm such a night owl as is, I'm always up at 3 or 4 in the morning anyway and so what better way to spend it than to be doing something productive with your team, I also would like to expand my experience in retail and grow with your company as I intend to stay for as long as you'll have me (maybe I should reword that last part?)

Anyway I've been doing a lot of research on what the actual job is from watching youtube videos of the flow team at work, to talking to others who have worked in the position, and it looks like a job right up my alley that I would seriously enjoy doing.

Any feedback would be great! I'm quite anxious as I haven't had an interview in a long time, and have never had a phone interview, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does this all sound positive so far that I probably have got the job? Or can that not be determined whatsoever yet. Apologies for the long post, I just really want to nail this.

Last edited:
Extra pay comes from a night differential, as I'm assuming you'll be doing the overnight process. The interview is very simple as long as you're honest with them about your availability and work ethics. Nothing tricky, they'll just ask you very basic questions. Don't put too much stress on it. If you receive a phone interview first, then most likely you'll need to go in for a face to face interview with one of the supervisors before they hire you.

how exactly does the 'night differential' work in relation to extra pay? I think the fact that I have completely open availability will be in my favor, and I have nothing but good work ethic. I think I am probably over stressing it a bit.

Invest in comfortable shoes and since you're flow and will be consistently lifting things up to 40 pounds, consider purchasing a back brace and learn to lift properly. The worst thing after coming home from work and getting in bed is a sore back and sore feet. You'll get the job, I haven't heard anyone get turned away from flow :) I worked half a flow shift before to cover someone and I sweated quite a bit from lifting and working water to the shelf so make sure to keep yourself hydrated.

Invest in comfortable shoes and since you're flow and will be consistently lifting things up to 40 pounds, consider purchasing a back brace and learn to lift properly. The worst thing after coming home from work and getting in bed is a sore back and sore feet. You'll get the job, I haven't heard anyone get turned away from flow :) I worked half a flow shift before to cover someone and I sweated quite a bit from lifting and working water to the shelf so make sure to keep yourself hydrated.
Sounds like good exercise though. I'll definitely have to get a back brace though.

the pay would be 10.50 an hour plus extra pay but my phone cut out so I'm not sure where the extra pay comes from.
If you work at least 3 hours between 10pm and 8am, you will get an extra dollar per hour between those times.

So I'm wondering what should I expect in this interview?
It should be fairly quick (less than 10 minutes). The person will likely be a team leader (one position above team member) and they should verify your availability again and ask you a few "tell me about a time" questions. My phone interview a few years ago was quick and conducted by the softlines (clothing department) team leader, even though I was applying for Flow.

Is it possible that if it goes well he will have me come in tomorrow to the store as well for the second interview?
It won't be the next day.

Any chance I could be hired over the phone?
No.

Just going to rattle a few off, based on my 1.5 years of experience of being lowly flow trash.

• Be safe. You would think this is a no-brainer, but flow is sadly a little more elusive to that at times. Don't throw boxes around and leave aisles in a complete mess, acting as if everything will be magically fine. Read up on safety guidelines and policies, and never blow off your training.
  • Work on accuracy first, then your speed. This is going to be a juggling act at first, but trust me. There really isn't any point in going faster than light when everything is in the wrong place. Eventually as you learn the store better, you will become more comfortable and able to work at a faster pace.
  • Be considerate. It won't kill you to be nice to other people, even in different departments. Throwing in a cautionary ASANTS here, but in my store the backroom gets pissy if you open a case pack of multiple items, take out one, then throw them all back in and send it to the backroom. Take off the gray stickers when you fill an empty slot on a shelf/peg. As you go, you'll pick up bits and pieces of other departments and learn what makes their lives easier. This not only helps the process run a little more smoothly, but people may come to like you which in turn may help you out as well. Just be considerate, okay?
  • Never stop learning. It shows that you actually care, and you're not just some schmo who is more or less saying "fuck you, pay me." The better you are at your job and even others, the more likely you are to be cross-trained elsewhere. Flow is often a cultivating ground for other departments; many people who start out in flow end up being groomed and moved to other departments that they have more of a talent for. This isn't the case for everyone, but if you use your head and do your job well, you may end up getting picked up for something that you may enjoy more.
  • They are watching you. Especially for the first few months, you are being watched by your leaders. Not necessarily word for word, but you are being observed for your ability, skill, and general attitude. Keep a good attitude and a good pace. That said, don't be fake. It's one thing if you're not a naturally perky and outgoing person, but just be polite and reasonable.
That's really all that comes to mind. A lot of it seems obvious, but some things don't come to others naturally so it's better just to cover bases. Good luck, keep cool, and you should do fine.

Thanks again for the help guys.

I'm wondering, do you think I'll get a call on Monday despite it being a holiday? Or is Tuesday more probable? Or does it make any difference?

Thanks again for the help guys.

I'm wondering, do you think I'll get a call on Monday despite it being a holiday? Or is Tuesday more probable? Or does it make any difference?
Did you already have your phone interview?

You'll get a call on Monday. Its only a holiday when you look at your paycheck.

After sitting on it for a bit, I hope no one minds if I add in a little bit more. When I first started, I was absolutely clueless as to what to do, how to act, and where to go. Everyone who was in charge of my training was lackadaisical and apathetic, to put it in the nicest possible way that I can. So naturally, I would like to help out just a bit more.

• Take pride in what you do. There are much worse jobs you could have. Some people will groan and roll their eyes over the most menial tasks, but fuck them. One of my favorite things to do is being given a sizable, perhaps difficult task and then carrying it out to completion. Set goals for yourself, push yourself a little bit more each time (unless you're about to hurt yourself, which in that case, please take a break or take it down a notch), and over the course of a few months there will be a noticeable difference in your progress. It's a wonderful feeling to go from knowing next to nothing about the store to knowing every single nook and cranny, all the while navigating and completing every task with efficiency and ease. You're not one of the poor souls working pennies an hour to make the stuff that you have to push, just be grateful for that.

• It's okay to ask questions. This past holiday season, I overheard a conversation between two girls who were both fairly new. One was maybe a month in, and the other was on her first or second week. The one with slightly more seniority told the other "fake it 'til you make it." DO NOT DO THAT. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT DO THAT. Should you mess up while pretending you have it covered, you're going to look like you're incompetent and/or untrustworthy. Just be honest and own up to it if you're in the dark. You're new, there's a thousand other newbies who have done dumber and worse things than you. Just be careful until you have the grasp of things.

• Be positive. Not delusional, mind you. Optimistic, if anything. No one, guest or team member, wants to work with or be serviced by a Squidward. Keep a positive mindset and a good attitude, and you should for the most part be fine. People will remember you, and if you're friendly they will want to be around you more often. That said, do not be fake or a suck-up. If something bad goes down, spend less time dwelling on it or being perturbed and focus on a solution for the problem. Guest can't find what they want? Find a suitable substitute. Coworker is having issues with a task? Jump in and help them. So many people I work with will just see an issue, shrug their shoulders and walk away instead of trying to help, and that's the sign of someone who is just dead inside. Don't let things bring you down. KEEP YA VIBE STRONG.

• Cross-train. I think I mentioned this before, but really. If you put in a consistently good effort each and every day, you'll get noticed and it will pay off. The better you are as a worker, the more areas you will be cross-trained in, the more hours you will get, the more friends you might make, etc. It's a good way to keep yourself varied and your paycheck healthy. Pay attention to the swap shift board, you can make some good money from that.
That's it from me, I promise. Congratulations on getting the job, I hope you excel. May your work ethic, vibe, and paycheck be strong.

Work hard, be open to learning, take your time with new tasks and ask questions but slowly perfect a progressive speed until you're comfortable enough to take initiative. When the flow TL sees that you've probably reached enough comfortability to be on your own, take initiative and do the absolute best you can. It will show through and you will be awarded by slowly moving up the chain. Never complain about something being too much to handle, target is infamous for picking a select few to throw large workloads onto. Most of all, just learn the job. Pay attention to your TL or best performing TM and do what they do, move how they move. Youl do fine. Before you know it, in 6 months youl be working 35 hours a week Flow,instocks, backroom. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back