Pitching Red Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, wanted to know some tips to get Redcards. Any suggestions on how to improve and not annoy the guests and not sound like a robot that's programmed to say the same exact thing over and over to each guest.

I used to get close to 10 a day on average before the breach. Now I'm lucky if I get 3 in a 5 1/2 shift on the lanes.

1.) Don't ask your guest about it right away. It tells them you aren't interested in anything else but getting you signed up for one.
2.) Butter them up and make some general conversation first, crack a few jokes, and hand their kids some stickers and tell them to stop by food ave for a some free popcorn. Ask them about how old their kids are and tell them they're cute even though they might be annoying the hell out of you.
3.) After making a connection with a guest, especially if they have a large order ask if they have one, or will be using their red card to receive their 5% discount about half way though the big orders.
4.) (If the answer is no) My pitch: "Do you shop at Target often mam/sir?"
-"Mam/Sir, I'm still scanning your items right now, if you would like, I can set you up with a red card while we are waiting. It only takes a minute. Yes, we do offer that as a credit card, but we also offer that as a debit card. The credit card is convenient in that you can keep it paid off all the time by making a quick visit to the service desk with the card or the statement as often as you like. The debit card is the way to go if you just want the funds to come out of your checking account. It's not a credit card. there are no bills to worry about, the money comes straight out of your checking account like your regular debit card. You can still even do cash back just like using your bank's debit card. For the credit card, all I need is your drivers license, if, on the other hand, you want the debit card I just need a check to link it to your account while I'm scanning the rest of your items."
5.) (If the answer is yes) "Yes, but I'm not using it today." My pitch : "Do you have the Red Card as a Credit Card?" "Yes, I just paid it off, I don't want to run up that bill again...."
-"Mam/Sir, a lot of people aren't aware that we offer a debit version of the same card. You can still reap all the benefits of the credit card, but not have to worry about any bills. It eliminates the entire process of having to go to guest service and pay your bill. A lot of our guests have both the credit and the debit card version, can I set you up with that while I am scanning your items? It only takes a minute, a check, and a drivers license."

I have about a million different spins, but the key is to really engage the guest and talk slowly, clearly, and make them feel comfortable before you even start to pitch a card. You have to have that Ice Breaker in there to make you seem more like a human being rather than a robot that's just there.

I used to get close to 10 a day on average before the breach. Now I'm lucky if I get 3 in a 5 1/2 shift on the lanes.

1.) Don't ask your guest about it right away. It tells them you aren't interested in anything else but getting you signed up for one.
2.) Butter them up and make some general conversation first, crack a few jokes, and hand their kids some stickers and tell them to stop by food ave for a some free popcorn. Ask them about how old their kids are and tell them they're cute even though they might be annoying the hell out of you.
3.) After making a connection with a guest, especially if they have a large order ask if they have one, or will be using their red card to receive their 5% discount about half way though the big orders.
-"Mam/Sir, I'm still scanning your items right now, if you would like, I can set you up with a red card while we are waiting. It only takes a minute. Yes, we do offer that as a credit card, but we also offer that as a debit card. The credit card is convenient in that you can keep it paid off all the time by making a quick visit to the service desk with the card or the statement as often as you like. The debit card is the way to go if you just want the funds to come out of your checking account. It's not a credit card. there are no bills to worry about, the money comes straight out of your checking account like your regular debit card. You can still even do cash back just like using your bank's debit card. For the credit card, all I need is your drivers license, if, on the other hand, you want the debit card I just need a check to link it to your account while I'm scanning the rest of your items."
5.) (If the answer is yes) "Yes, but I'm not using it today." My pitch : "Do you have the Red Card as a Credit Card?" "Yes, I just paid it off, I don't want to run up that bill again...."
-"Mam/Sir, a lot of people aren't aware that we offer a debit version of the same card. You can still reap all the benefits of the credit card, but not have to worry about any bills. It eliminates the entire process of having to go to guest service and pay your bill. A lot of our guests have both the credit and the debit card version, can I set you up with that while I am scanning your items? It only takes a minute, a check, and a drivers license."

I have about a million different spins, but the key is to really engage the guest and talk slowly, clearly, and make them feel comfortable before you even start to pitch a card. You have to have that Ice Breaker in there to make you seem more like a human being rather than a robot that's just there.
Her'es my problem: I don't wanna be pushy. I ask them and tell them about it of course but I NEVER do that "Do you shop here a lot?" thing. It makes me seem more like a robotic used car salesperson instead of genuinely friendly casheir. And up until the breach, that worked: I was getting about 5 a shift. Now I'm lucky if I can get one in a week...

Her'es my problem: I don't wanna be pushy. I ask them and tell them about it of course but I NEVER do that "Do you shop here a lot?" thing. It makes me seem more like a robotic used car salesperson instead of genuinely friendly casheir. And up until the breach, that worked: I was getting about 5 a shift. Now I'm lucky if I can get one in a week...
I understand, I'm just sharing what works for me. I have lots of different angles of pitching, this is just one of my more successful ones. Feel free to tailor it in any regard. My pitches are all situational. Just try changing it up here and there and seeing what you come up with. If a guest has kids for example, tell them about the take charge of education program. If you see they have a prescription, tell them about the pharmacy rewards benefits. I never pitch a red card the same way all the time, I was just trying to offer you my general bread and butter. By far the most important thing is really engaging in friendly confident conversation with your guest to making them feel comfortable with you before you really start trying to pitch it. If you just pitch it, they'll ditch it.

I'm not great with Red Cards either, although I tend to get more than other people at my store. The most I have ever gotten in one shift is three, and I was pretty happy with that. I usually only get one or two a week, but there are a lot of cashiers at my store who might get one a month. Asking a lot will usually get you more. There have been times when I almost didn't ask, because I'd pegged the guest as a no-go, but then they got one! Also, sometimes people will sign up for a Red Card even when they are not buying much.

The Dude's advice is really good. Be relaxed, informative, friendly, and have plenty of back-up lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back