Archived Planogram team setting salesplanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this work...does the planogram team have people added to it? Are they given more hours? Do they set a few salesplanners each day or complete them all on certain days?

Just trying to see if this would work at our store...

How does this work...does the planogram team have people added to it? Are they given more hours? Do they set a few salesplanners each day or complete them all on certain days?

Just trying to see if this would work at our store...

I'm a SFTL and I inquired about doing this at my store. We are ULV (which I think you are too?) and it wouldn't work for us unless the TLs were to give up their own hours, or you sacrifice one of the 3 or so team members you have for recovery at night (probably a bad idea).
In theory, plano is given SF hours to set the SPLs. They are there earlier in the morning, so setting is much more efficient. At one store I know of that does this, the PTL has one person working on SPLs each day rather than with the rest of the planogram team. She used to use the whole team and try to get them set, either early in the week, or set them early if everything else is caught up. That, however, made it more difficult for her to execute her plans for her own planograms, so now, there is just one person that does them. SFTLs still set all ad rotation and plan where the SPLs will be set. I believe plano got an extra 4 hours a day or so for setting, but I could be wrong about that. At that store, plano came in at 4am.

One thing you could possibly do is to give plano hours to set sales planners when your TLs take time off. That would probably be more efficient than having a SFTM come in to replace that TL.

the hours are spread all over in my store. they all belong to plano hours. The bigger portion of our days side store team is crossed trained in plano. So everybody helps with it. Our store does no more early days. So we just set all day long. This also includes TL's, electronics, instocks and plano. time wise just depends on how many are due that week. All try to get those done first thing when they hit the floor, then go onto the real planograms.

I work in an ULV store and as a plano team member we handle everything under TWT with the exception of softlines adjacency pogs. Our hardlines team leaders do not touch a single sales planner, since when we tried to let them set, or even map them out, they dont know what they are doing. Typically we spread them out through the week, do a few every day when we cant justify starting up another POG at the end of the day, and setting a few sales planners would make sense. Direction from our STL is to "tie off" any ad rotations since we always seem to have plenty of clearance endcaps that it would be near impossible to set them anyways. So that saves us a few SPLS every week. In a week where we have somewhere between 20-30 we can typically have one person spend a day to finish them all.

At our store instead of giving the hours to the salesfloor team, they give them to plano. We try to set them early on thursday and friday for the next week, this way if it is on sale it is already set the the ad team can sign it. We also have one person come in on saturday to set ad rotations for the next week.

They tried to have team leads do them but they either never got done, or they tied multiple salesplanners into the same endcap to get it off the report.

doesn't matter who does them. it all depends on if your stl wants pog to do them and gives them the hours, or wants sf to do them and gives them pogs hours.
pog is generally more productive (at my store) when it comes to spl. there's been times we've came in and set 40+ spl to get them done due to poor planning on the etl's part. however...

from a ptl/former hl/ctl perspective, if your hltl isn't pushing, instocking, ptming, setting spl, etc. then they're pretty much just giving great guest service and cashiering. i wouldn't pay a tl for that. our hltls have the added bonus of sitting at tsc for hours on end. so i stopped setting the spl and told them they'll either do them or they won't get done (which is a lie, we always help out if they're stuggling). it completely destroyed my team's morale when we're busting to get spl done on top of our workload, with half the adjacency hours, and then 3 hltl are sitting around or standing talking at electronics for an hour.

doesn't matter who does them. it all depends on if your stl wants pog to do them and gives them the hours, or wants sf to do them and gives them pogs hours.
pog is generally more productive (at my store) when it comes to spl. there's been times we've came in and set 40+ spl to get them done due to poor planning on the etl's part. however...from a ptl/former hl/ctl perspective, if your hltl isn't pushing, instocking, ptming, setting spl, etc. then they're pretty much just giving great guest service and cashiering. i wouldn't pay a tl for that. our hltls have the added bonus of sitting at tsc for hours on end. so i stopped setting the spl and told them they'll either do them or they won't get done (which is a lie, we always help out if they're stuggling). it completely destroyed my team's morale when we're busting to get spl done on top of our workload, with half the adjacency hours, and then 3 hltl are sitting around or standing talking at electronics for an hour.
That's what happens at my store! I do my spl's & others sitting in tsc, except the ctl. They're busy on p-fresh. I do help the ctl w/their sp.'s.
Score one for dek!

then they're pretty much just giving great guest service and cashiering. i wouldn't pay a tl for that.

I like this! Salesfloor teamleads have been on my radar for quite awhile at my store. They don't even willingly jump on registers...they wait 15 seconds after a backup is called and say "team, who can respond to that?" Usually in an almost cheesy voice! And yes they will give great guest service, if the guest is lucky enough to corner them and the tl isn't flighty enough to avoid it.

i'm on board with cutting.
i would like to see a log/br/instocks tl (however you wanna break it, but 2 of them to share the big teams), pa/ptl (depending on volume), ctl, 1 gstl, 2hltl, 2 sltl and no execs. each tl should be capable of writing their schedules, handling everything, and in turn, big red should give them AMPLE payroll to do it with seeing as how you're saving a few hundred thou in salaries every year. IMO, it wouldn't hurt not to have an etl-hr, you could have a tl for that as well and have a district guru to help them out with sticky situations.
you could cut all the tl. have an etlhr/ge, etlsf, etlrep, etllog, stl. but again, i've never worked for an extended period of time in the largest targets, although i trained in the #2 supertarget many moons ago. volume definitely has to be taken into account. the problem at my store is all the tl except early am are srtl. so even when they're scheduled in a workcenter instead of "inventory" (where we put our lods), they use lod duties as an excuse not to do physical labor.

Last edited:
i'm on board with cutting.
i would like to see a log/br/instocks tl (however you wanna break it, but 2 of them to share the big teams), pa/ptl (depending on volume), ctl, 1 gstl, 2hltl, 2 sltl and no execs. each tl should be capable of writing their schedules, handling everything, and in turn, big red should give them AMPLE payroll to do it with seeing as how you're saving a few hundred thou in salaries every year. IMO, it wouldn't hurt not to have an etl-hr, you could have a tl for that as well and have a district guru to help them out with sticky situations.
you could cut all the tl. have an etlhr/ge, etlsf, etlrep, etllog, stl. but again, i've never worked for an extended period of time in the largest targets, although i trained in the #2 supertarget many moons ago. volume definitely has to be taken into account. the problem at my store is all the tl except early am are srtl. so even when they're scheduled in a workcenter instead of "inventory" (where we put our lods), they use lod duties as an excuse not to do physical labor.

I think it's actually useful to have an ETL-LOG, and a Flow TL. My previous store had that. New store has an ETL-LOG, 1 SrTL-LOG and 2 key carrying TL-LOGs. Having an ETL for LOG and REPL are not needed by any stretch.

Having an ETL for LOG and REPL are not needed by any stretch.

If my store didn't have both, we wouldn't have enough overnight leadership. Then the dayside ETLs would have to rotate overnight shifts and they would complain about it. I'm gonna take a wild guess that my store is higher volume than yours.

Wow - you guys have some really unproductive SF team leaders lol. My team leaders currently complete brand walks every other week during which they identify all the random details that are missing (signs & labels, broken fixtures, aisles that need to be zoned to planogram, things that need to be cleaned, etc) and they work on fixing those issues daily. They respond to backup, push clearance, and follow up with reshop. In addition, they complete their Business Walks and hold their team accountable for attendance and whatnot. And of course, they're in charge of planning and setting their own salesplanners. When things are heavy they partner with me for earlier shifts and additional team members to help set.

They're not perfect and there are days/weeks where they struggle to get all of those things done but I'm trying to prepare for the AE rumor that we might lose a HLs team leader. For us that means 2 in HLs...yikes.

I like the idea of having planogram set salesplanners but our team has always struggled to be a week ahead and I know the pushback I would receive is that they don't have time for salesplanners AND their own workload. I'd have to find a way to allocate additional hours to planogram to make it happen...hmm.

If my store didn't have both, we wouldn't have enough overnight leadership. Then the dayside ETLs would have to rotate overnight shifts and they would complain about it. I'm gonna take a wild guess that my store is higher volume than yours.

I'm not sure this is accurate. A key-carrying flow-tl is more than capable of running a truck, they've done it a my D-volume store and they've done it at my high-B volume store. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible at an even higher volume.

I'm not sure this is accurate. A key-carrying flow-tl is more than capable of running a truck, they've done it a my D-volume store and they've done it at my high-B volume store. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible at an even higher volume.

i was thinking more along the lines of "ya gotta have two" for logistics. whether it be 2 tl (whatever title you want) or 2 execs. one to relieve the other and cover all the functional teams. one thing i think is totally unfair about our current exec schedule is that our etl log has to be in at 3 everyday, then they make him close every other weekend to be "fair" to the other etls. even when he has a truck on monday. talk about poor work/life balance. our flow tl is awesome, he actually does every thing the log does, plus runs backroom and instocks.

When our ETL-LOG was on vacation a while ago, our ETL-Softlines had to work overnight when our ETL-Replenishment wasn't scheduled. That's why I thought dayside ETLs would have to rotate O/N shifts if we only had one O/N ETL (so as to be fair). By leadership, I was referring to ETLs because I forgot that one of our Flow TLs is a key carrier.

i was thinking more along the lines of "ya gotta have two" for logistics. whether it be 2 tl (whatever title you want) or 2 execs. one to relieve the other and cover all the functional teams. one thing i think is totally unfair about our current exec schedule is that our etl log has to be in at 3 everyday, then they make him close every other weekend to be "fair" to the other etls. even when he has a truck on monday. talk about poor work/life balance. our flow tl is awesome, he actually does every thing the log does, plus runs backroom and instocks.

It may be because my store is an overnight store, but our ETL-LOG and ETL-Replenishment are not part of the opening/closing weekend rotation.

Both of my stores have been 4am processes, and neither of them had the ETL-LOG in the LOD schedule.

Back when my old store was an O/N store, same thing. We had an ETL-LOG and ETL-REPLN, but neither of them had to take daytime/closing shifts. Only the O/N shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back