Archived Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was closing the registers for the first time and when I hit no coin needed it just brought me back to the main screen and didnt close it. So I tried hitting add coin and the register automatically closed. I didnt select any coins to be put in drawer. I'm so nervous I screwed up. Am I going to be fired tomorrow?

I'm so nervous. I was closing the registers for the first time tonight with almost no training on how to do it. It was giving me the option to either put coin in or not. Everytime I hit dosent need coin it took me back to the main screen and didnt close it. So I tried hitting add coin and it automatically closed. I didnt hit any of the quarter or dime penny options. Am I going to get fired? I'm shaking right now

no, you’re fine. if the register closed and you otherwise banked it properly there’s literally no problem

Dupe thread.

Unless you're talking about a roll of Krugerrands, I'm pretty sure your leadership isn't going to care. I'd grab someone familiar with closing registers, explain what happened so they can teach you the right way. Once, it'd be pretty clear that it was an oops. Keep doing in, they are going to have questions.

You literally did nothing wrong and you’re freaking out about being fired? Good luck.
The fear is understandable. A lot of retail jobs have a $1 rule, if the till is off by $1 or more, automatic write up, usual write up progression over 12 months. When you're new you want to be perfect because of the probationary time.

The fear is understandable. A lot of retail jobs have a $1 rule, if the till is off by $1 or more, automatic write up, usual write up progression over 12 months. When you're new you want to be perfect because of the probationary time.
For my first 2 days in the cash office, I was off by $500 each day. I don't remember if it was over or under, but no one batted an eye at it.

OP's fear would be a little more understandable if there was anything wrong at all; they closed the register perfectly and are worried about getting fired. I don't fear for my job when a guest hands me cash and I hand them the correct amount of change.

From the description OP either told the register there was more money in it than there was, or the messages on the screen led to that assumption. From the description given by the OP the computer was told that extra money was put in when money really wasn't and so money would be missing.

From the description OP either told the register there was more money in it than there was, or the messages on the screen led to that assumption. From the description given by the OP the computer was told that extra money was put in when money really wasn't and so money would be missing.
Not quite. OP pushed a button that would've allowed him to put coins into the register, but didn't put any coins in the register and didn't even tell the register which coins he would've been putting in. In the end, OP 1) didn't take any money from the register or put anything in and 2) didn't push any buttons that would make it look like there should be more or less money in the register. Zero mistakes were made. Zero bad things happened. Everything was perfect. Nothing went wrong at all. And there was never any sign that anything was going to go wrong.

Your logic is sound, as far as what actually happened. But think back to being brand new, first time doing it, and re-read what the OP said. Just dismissing it as "You literally did nothing wrong and you’re freaking out about being fired? Good luck. " and not recognizing that the OP doesn't know what went wrong and what went right isn't helpful. Empathize and teach.

I'm so nervous. I was closing the registers for the first time tonight with almost no training on how to do it. It was giving me the option to either put coin in or not. Everytime I hit dosent need coin it took me back to the main screen and didnt close it. So I tried hitting add coin and it automatically closed. I didnt hit any of the quarter or dime penny options. Am I going to get fired? I'm shaking right now

Were you using a speed id to close the register? I encounter this when I use a speed id. I have to scan it a few times to make it work right. As long as you get that sleeping dog screen, your good. Don't worry about the change. I can't wait to be over this noob feeling. And even if it didn't close just right, they will figure it out and chalk it up to modernization transition pains.

Lol I’ve done that before at GS, accidentally closed the register bc I hit k5 k2 to do card lookup without realizing I’m not signed in. Called GSTL who opened the register back up and everything was fine

Tell your gstl tomorrow and you’ll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back