Archived Plenty of hours as Seasonal, however...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a job already as a delivery driver and I have been wanting to make the transition to retail. Today was my first day as a seasonal target cashier, and I seemed to do quite well. I've been scheduled so many hours that I requested off the entire week at my pizza delivery job. Next week I've got about 36 hours scheduled at Target (after breaks). My question is this: should I go ahead and turn in my notice at the pizza place and push for the goal of being kept at Target beyond the holidays? The permanent cashiers I worked with today told me that I'll probably get to stay on. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Welcome to The Break Room.

If you're getting the Red Cards and your accuracy is good, you show up on time and don't piss off the bosses there is good chance you could be picked up.
That's the good news.
The bad news is that your hours will drop like a rock into icy waters.
Maybe you can keep the delivery job part time?

Nothing's set in stone at Target. Not sure why cashiers would be telling you you'll stay on after your first day unless the store has HUGE cashier turnover. I would highly recommend you to keep both jobs; even if you do stay on, hours greatly decrease the second week of January.

I've gotten mostly 'G' on my cashiering. I almost got 2 redcards today. It seems like redcards are hard to get @ my store. I'm thinking I can live on 20 hours a week if kept on after the holidays. But I almost feel bad for stringing along the delivery job since I am unable to work there this week. And I'll be exhausted if I work delivering next week. Idk. I just dont want to quit the delivery job and be let go from Target and end up unemployeed. I'm typically a good employee w/ good work ethic anywhere I go.

You're probably elated from having a new job. Keep both. You may have less free time, but more money. Stick with both for a few weeks or even months, see if you can get each other's schedule in sync where you are not overworking yourself. If then you want to drop the delivery job, do it. Everyone has that "Target is the best job ever!!!!" mentality the first few days/weeks (true for any job), but it can and will fade.

Perhaps split up your time between the two. Select two days and make them "Not Available" for Target and only work at the pizza place on those days. At least until the holidays and your 90 days pass and you have a clearer picture on things. Only downside may be working every day of the week, but tailor this to you.

Last edited:
Keep both jobs for now. The additional hours are due to holiday hours being ridiculously high to match sales projections. Once the busy season ends, the hours will get cut. January and February are the worst when it comes to getting hours.
And not to be a downer or sound like Hans Solo, but don't get cocky kid. If you do what commie says, you'll have a good chance of staying on permanently, but you do need to get redcards. Make sure you ask every guest, especially when ETL'S, GSTL's, and GSA's are around ;).

Just a heads up, hours may not be plentiful come January unless you are at a high volume store. You will be begging for hours during the slow season and probably up till Easter.

Last year I went from being scheduled 40 hours for the last week of December, to 8 hours for the first week of January. No one is guaranteed a full 40 each week unless you're a TL, and hours are hard to come by for a few months afterwards. I would keep both jobs.

"Producer" though I appreciate your input, it should be stated that I am not a "kid" and I found that a bit distasteful on your part. Also, I'm the farthest thing from "cocky." I just know after working in food services, I have a good work ethic. Thx

"Producer" though I appreciate your input, it should be stated that I am not a "kid" and I found that a bit distasteful on your part. Also, I'm the farthest thing from "cocky." I just know after working in food services, I have a good work ethic. Thx

Producer was saying hours will be reduced after 4 qtr. you will see slow down in 1st qtr, for sure.

That would be a Star Wars qoute he was using. And yeah this is the most hours you will see at Target all year. After X-mas it becomes a wasteland with the extra seasonal people kept on and hours slashed (another bad year it seems) you will be lucky to get 10 hours a week, after a couple months many people who could not make it on such low hours will have quit and found other jobs and you might get lucky and pic up some more. Until they hire more people they do not need, which is Targets way of doing things.

Not to hijack the thread, but just a question or two:

I am curious about my chances of being kept on after reading this thread.

What is a decent amount of redcards for a new CA/Cashier to be pulling by the end of December? I started like a week before Black Friday as 1 of 4 CAs. 1 other CA is seasonal too. I am picking up a ton of hours at the moment and always being asked to stay late. I have got 3 redcards total so far, all in my first week, but haven't had luck the last few though other cashiers have got some. We had 19 in one day the other day when I was CA. 5 when I left today as cashier. 9 the other day I closed as CA. I haven't done much cashiering lately (mostly CA), but I do a lot of restocking of the front lanes, all the bags and CA stuff, staying late to help close, went in twice for call outs and I just picked up long shifts on my days off this week (R 3-11; F 1-10; S 430-1130). I also live like a block from the store, not sure if that is a factor.

How many CAs does a store typically need in the slow season? My store feels high volume atm, but that might just be the season (never worked retail before). My store is a P-Fresh located on one of the biggest roads in the county (lots of groceries during the day)

Han Solo to explain the reference.

Hours will be slim pickings in January. I would hang on to your second job until you know your job at Target is secure and you have an idea what sort of hours you'll be pulling in. I can't imagine you'll get more than 20 in the slow weeks of late winter, especially as a cashier.

If you really want to work retail, keep working hard at cashiering but let them know you are very interested in cross-training. The more areas you know, the more opportunity to pick up hours and be scheduled more. Guest service, sales floor, cart attendant, blah blah blah; learn as many as you can.

I meant no disrespect, just making a quote. I'm sure you're more than competent for the position, but hours are hard to come by, so most stores only keep the most successful seasonal tms.

Hoping: Producer was not being negative. Just a Star Wars quote.

But to all the seasonals reading this thread.

Getting brought on permanently really depends on your store needs, your performance, and your scores. You can be the best dang cashier, but if the store doesn't have the payroll after the holidays, you can have the chance of being let go.

Come January for cashiers, you can probably expect getting two 4hour shifts a week.

Hell, last year as a market TM who always got close to 40 a week, I got 5 hours every week for 3 weeks. And to think I though "They can't cut my hours because I'm needed for the order." Well, they found a way.

My bad everybody. I've honestly never seen Star Wars so it did not compute. My team leader told me I did a really good job again today, and not to worry as much about redcards. I' m exhausted after an 8 am-4pm shift. But will my hours really go down to 10 a week after the season, if they keep me? (That's insane.)

It depends on your availability and your store. At my store, I've only had two weeks where I wasn't scheduled for five days, and both of those were mistakes on their end. And I've never been scheduled below 25 hours, even when I just cashiered. But I have nearly open availability.

25 hours is do-able for me, so if they do keep my I will leave the pizza place if they can give me that many hours. Availability is almost wide open now. I'd rearrange my schedule entirely just to stay on at Target. Honestly, I may go ahead and give my 2 weeks to the pizza job. During my interview, the HR manager told me if I was chosen to stay after seasonal, and our store didnt have room for me that transferring could be an option. If Target doesnt keep me, I can probably get a job at another pizza place. (Ive been wanting to leave the pizza place I'm at now for some time now.). Anywho- Thanks to everyone so far for your advice/opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back