Archived POGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been at my store since it opened (12 years) and have constantly mentioned the importance of cross training team members. It's 2019 and have trained at least 20-30 people over the years and guess how many are still working presentation? Just 2! Setting planograms are not for everyone and it take a certain type of person (a lot detailed and a little OCD) to understand how to set an aisle or sales planner from start to finish. I realize ASANTS but either you can half ass a set or you can get it right the first time and walk away knowing it's 100% complete. Same sentiments goes for Price Change. I personally think it takes at least 6 months and weekly shifts scheduled in Presentation or Price Change to fully grasp the logistics behind it all. That's just for starters.

My team starts at 8am and we struggle to get workload current for the week since we don't have the luxury to NOT have guest interruption. I have continually asked that during large intricate sets that we be allowed to come in early but since we are part of "Guest Facing" and need to be available for the guest, I get told, NO. BUT, current expectation in my district is to be complete or ahead with transitions or price change by Friday, every week. I say, WTF! I'm not killing myself or my team for your f*cking reports or expectations which are unattainable!
Store is trying to be modernized but I give it another couple of months for them to go back to the way it was. IMO!

Last edited:
current expectation in my district is to be complete or ahead with transitions or price change by Friday, every week. I say, WTF! I'm not killing myself or my team for your f*cking reports or expectations which are unattainable!
Store is trying to be modernized but I give it another couple of months for them to go back to the way it was. IMO!

This. Modernization is a lovely pipe dream and it's Plano and Pricing that will kill the dream if they move forward with their plans. Whoever it is in their lofty office making these changes hasn't been in an actual store to specifically see a Plano team work. They have no idea what it looks like, how involved or disruptive it is. Modernization makes sense to me until it means adding Plano and Pricing to the workload of all salesfloor tms. We are getting a lot of pressure right now and I get it, things have a timetable, but people can only work hard when they feel supported. Fortunately our TL is awesome, but he is taking a beating.:(

Sorry, I’m referring to my specific stores TMs. They’re a bunch of TMs who have only done Plano their entire lives.. not saying they couldn’t do it if they learned, but it would be a process. It makes much more sense to keep them where they’re trained and doing what their good at (Plano) and keep Hardlines/Softlines/Grocery doing what they’re trained and good at (freight/stray/zone). No offense meant, I know there are tons of very versatile Plano TMs as well, mine just are not.

"only done plano"?? So they know how to remerchandise d-code, clean, set and fill a planogram in any and every department, pull their products, zone, audit, create pulls, work their trash, and backstock. Ummm... what else? Oh yeah... backup cashier, answer calls, and help guests. That's what was expected of the plano team at our store.

"only done plano"?? So they know how to remerchandise d-code, clean, set and fill a planogram in any and every department, pull their products, zone, audit, create pulls, work their trash, and backstock. Ummm... what else? Oh yeah... backup cashier, answer calls, and help guests. That's what was expected of the plano team at our store.
Wow, your Plano team sounds amazing... mine definitely does not do all of this...

ASANTS.

And get carts. Both of the last two days. I've NEVER seen anyone on flow get carts. Ever. But that's at my store, your store may be different.

And get carts. Both of the last two days. I've NEVER seen anyone on flow get carts. Ever. But that's at my store, your store may be different.
Oh, don't forget to add "HELP PUSH TRUCK!" My team is always being asked to help push truck when the Inbound Team can't finish or are behind. Don't they know we have our own hours to spend on workload that will allow truck to push their freight? So if a planogram doesn't get completed then what will they do with that freight? Well at this store since truck hates to backstock, they push it to where it doesn't belong and on top of that they over push an entire case in one little spot. Anyone else have the same issue? See a habitual pattern happening if we are not allowed to do our specific jobs? Again, ASANTS but I'm glad my team knows how to do it all. Like I said in previous posts, MY TEAM IS AWESOME! They just don't make Starbucks coffee!

On WB, click Communication tab up top and dive head first into the QSP1. It’ll tell you a lot about each department and how they should be doing it, also the feb addendum.
But yes, it should be each leader completing their own sets inline and endcaps. It says in QSP under my E2E department that they’ll only be doing revisions but I told them that it’s good knowledge to know how to do a complete reset. So we completed a handful of pogs for the next week reset.
We’re going to do the same thing or actually train TMs how to set, then when the reset comes, pull from each department which has TMs. Not sure how that will pan out come April. For price change we schedule the PCH TMs in the workcenters that are on the workload, but The GVP AND RVP ripped a new one in the LOD when they saw what they were doing.

The OG Plano team used to do all the above except cashier. They knew how but the ETL said no to that. Now they can barely fill a flipping aisle before they leave.

I've been at my store since it opened (12 years) and have constantly mentioned the importance of cross training team members. It's 2019 and have trained at least 20-30 people over the years and guess how many are still working presentation? Just 2! Setting planograms are not for everyone and it take a certain type of person (a lot detailed and a little OCD) to understand how to set an aisle or sales planner from start to finish. I realize ASANTS but either you can half ass a set or you can get it right the first time and walk away knowing it's 100% complete. Same sentiments goes for Price Change. I personally think it takes at least 6 months and weekly shifts scheduled in Presentation or Price Change to fully grasp the logistics behind it all. That's just for starters.

My team starts at 8am and we struggle to get workload current for the week since we don't have the luxury to NOT have guest interruption. I have continually asked that during large intricate sets that we be allowed to come in early but since we are part of "Guest Facing" and need to be available for the guest, I get told, NO. BUT, current expectation in my district is to be complete or ahead with transitions or price change by Friday, every week. I say, WTF! I'm not killing myself or my team for your f*cking reports or expectations which are unattainable!

The other day I ask if I could bring a girl in that is a floater to do some REV and upcoming POGS...."No, I would rather your team stay an extra hour, 1 hour, each day and knock it out." Mind you I have 1 that has another job and 1 that has a family member with med issues, they both need to leave by 215. So that leaves 1 in dry to do REV and POGS.
Then we have a bounce back walk through with RM in a week. With only 1 TM in PF daily, being ME, he asked if my SPL and REV were done.....sure they are...NOT

The other day I ask if I could bring a girl in that is a floater to do some REV and upcoming POGS...."No, I would rather your team stay an extra hour, 1 hour, each day and knock it out." Mind you I have 1 that has another job and 1 that has a family member with med issues, they both need to leave by 215. So that leaves 1 in dry to do REV and POGS.
Then we have a bounce back walk through with RM in a week. With only 1 TM in PF daily, being ME, he asked if my SPL and REV were done.....sure they are...NOT
I take it that you are doing e2e already in your district? Did you get to read the new Q1 S&P? If you are in consumables, you are responsible for your sales plans, endcaps and incremental space. It doesn't state setting POGS or Revisions. Now on the flip side Beauty and Electronics are supposed to set Sales Planners and Revisions (Gen Merch Team sets POG Transitions). Q1 guide still a little vague to me. Anyone else happen to read? I would like the Cliff Notes version, thank you!

Last edited:
This. Modernization is a lovely pipe dream and it's Plano and Pricing that will kill the dream if they move forward with their plans. Whoever it is in their lofty office making these changes hasn't been in an actual store to specifically see a Plano team work. They have no idea what it looks like, how involved or disruptive it is. Modernization makes sense to me until it means adding Plano and Pricing to the workload of all salesfloor tms. We are getting a lot of pressure right now and I get it, things have a timetable, but people can only work hard when they feel supported. Fortunately our TL is awesome, but he is taking a beating.:(

There are some aspects of modernization that have worked wonderfully...BUT...in the same sense they are a failure. Doing away with Plano and Pricing, in the long run will be a disaster for some departments. I think that most departments can get REV and small POGS done on their own...but adding price changes to their short shift is going to be a nightmare in the end.

There's no way I could set grocery pogs myself or let alone with the 3 people I have. I'd rely on a team to complete that and I could handle small revisions

But yet, grocery seems to be the one area they thinks we are SUPER HUMAN

On WB, click Communication tab up top and dive head first into the QSP1. It’ll tell you a lot about each department and how they should be doing it, also the feb addendum.
But yes, it should be each leader completing their own sets inline and endcaps. It says in QSP under my E2E department that they’ll only be doing revisions but I told them that it’s good knowledge to know how to do a complete reset. So we completed a handful of pogs for the next week reset.
We’re going to do the same thing or actually train TMs how to set, then when the reset comes, pull from each department which has TMs. Not sure how that will pan out come April. For price change we schedule the PCH TMs in the workcenters that are on the workload, but The GVP AND RVP ripped a new one in the LOD when they saw what they were doing.
You say that PCH TM`s are scheduled in the workcenters workload, so does this mean at your store HQ figured how to divide up the workload for the week? I know for a fact at my store the HR has to painstakingly sit there and dissect the PCH forecast for the week 3 weeks out when they write the schedule. For now it's easy because it's divided up between Hardlines and AA. I would like to see how the division of hours are going to look like and the schedule when workcenters begin to do their own PCH on a daily and weekly basis. Of course ASANTS but I would like anyone's insight on how they are "trying" to make it work at their store.

I take it that you are doing e2e already in your district? Did you get to read the new Q1 S&P? If you are in consumables, you are responsible for your sales plans, endcaps and incremental space. It doesn't state setting POGS or Revisions. Now on the flip side Beauty and Electronics are supposed to set Sales Planners and Revisions (Gen Merch Team sets POG Transitions). Q1 guide still a little vague to me. Anyone else happen to read? I would like the Cliff Notes version, thank you!

I have not read it, but they are adamant that each department sets everything, that there is no hours ....BUT, there has been a team doing baby and HBA.

You say that PCH TM`s are scheduled in the workcenters workload, so does this mean at your store HQ figured how to divide up the workload for the week? I know for a fact at my store the HR has to painstakingly sit there and dissect the PCH forecast for the week 3 weeks out when they write the schedule. For now it's easy because it's divided up between Hardlines and AA. I would like to see how the division of hours are going to look like and the schedule when workcenters begin to do their own PCH on a daily and weekly basis. Of course ASANTS but I would like anyone's insight on how they are "trying" to make it work at their store.

When I did the schedule for them PCH team members, I did it manually looking at the forecast; the forecast wasn’t hard to dissect. Took me maybe 30 minutes to calculate hours for each department and hours for TMs. HR now just scheduled them wherever and didn’t care. That’s the last thing I have yet to train my team on, just because the store is still using those PCH TMs. Pricing and Presentation is the thing spot is going to struggle with until we get it right. Yes I think it’s great knowledge for all TLs and TMs to understand how and to actually spend at least a sets worth of time actually hands on, but with the direction of how it’s going, I think it’ll be a hot minute til we get a solid routine across the board.

Our flow team has to get carts at least 2-3 times a day, they do not schedule a cart attendant until 1...on a Saturday

When I did the schedule for them PCH team members, I did it manually looking at the forecast; the forecast wasn’t hard to dissect. Took me maybe 30 minutes to calculate hours for each department and hours for TMs. HR now just scheduled them wherever and didn’t care. That’s the last thing I have yet to train my team on, just because the store is still using those PCH TMs. Pricing and Presentation is the thing spot is going to struggle with until we get it right. Yes I think it’s great knowledge for all TLs and TMs to understand how and to actually spend at least a sets worth of time actually hands on, but with the direction of how it’s going, I think it’ll be a hot minute til we get a solid routine across the board.

Our TL were doing their own schedules until a few weeks ago. No explanation why, just that the STL and SRTL would do it. They had been giving us the hours we could schedule and we would moan and groan trying to fit everything in the those hours

You said it. My store as well. Let's toss in ship from store. In the 4th qt

So each TL in each workcenter is going to print off their labels and "only do what is in the system" for their area for the day? Each week and day fluctuates. Team members are going to be trained to look at the workload everyday? And is it going to be the same team members? What is the communication going to look like if it is different team members scheduled? I find success when it's a dedicated TM or 2 who work in unison. This is going to be a shit show in the making. I guess I need to start making some popcorn.;)

Our flow team has to get carts at least 2-3 times a day, they do not schedule a cart attendant until 1...on a Saturday
At least your flow team is willing. Ours can't except push freight. Some help guests. Most don't.

So each TL in each workcenter is going to print off their labels and "only do what is in the system" for their area for the day? Each week and day fluctuates. Team members are going to be trained to look at the workload everyday? And is it going to be the same team members? What is the communication going to look like if it is different team members scheduled? I find success when it's a dedicated TM or 2 who work in unison. This is going to be a shit show in the making. I guess I need to start making some popcorn.;)
Yea exactly. Each TL would essentially need to learn to read the Forecast(unless they change it) and have the respective team members complete it each day.
I have my team work backstock when there’s overlap and it’s not getting touched by BR. But it’s a new thing they’ll have to learn. How we have it now is working well (for my team) cause they know the department inside and out and we always partner with PCH when we see things that they need or missed. Kettle corn for me!

Our TL were doing their own schedules until a few weeks ago. No explanation why, just that the STL and SRTL would do it. They had been giving us the hours we could schedule and we would moan and groan trying to fit everything in the those hours
I audit the schedule after HR completes it to ensure coverage, workload and such isn’t overlooked.
It’s weird, even after we went back to the inbound team pushing dry, the team can barely get through everything they have to.
Some weeks it’ll be good, others not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back