Policy and law enforcement.

If you live in a state where marijuana is illegal, and if you were caught with possession at the workplace, would there be any legal steps taken? Or would it simply end in a termination? I don't believe the handbook is available online, so I'm hoping someone with HR knowledge could spare some words.

I just want to know if there's a policy regarding whether they are required to get law enforcement involved. I'm asking for my fiance. She found her employee handbook and it states nothing about legal action. But we want to double check.

I don't think Target would get law enforcement involved for that unless they suspected that the TM was buying or selling to others at Target. But I have no idea

Keep it in your car, not on your person or in the store.

Source: Lots of weed smokers where I work, they know better than to bring it into the place.

Ummm we had a TM put a half smoked joint in her cigarette box, it stunk so bad. She was just asked to not bring it to work. No further action was taken.

I just want to know if there's a policy regarding whether they are required to get law enforcement involved. I'm asking for my fiance. She found her employee handbook and it states nothing about legal action. But we want to double check.

Not everything is going to be in the handbook. Store discretion, we have an employee fired just for smelling like alcohol at work.

Not everything is going to be in the handbook.
This is it exactly.

It’s like everyone forgets about the Business Conduct Guide, and that there are more rules/resources online. Orientation flat out says it in the policy section that there is more online.

Ultimately it is store discretion. They can choose to have an old-fashioned STU, or send you out for a drug test due to probable cause.

Keep in mind that even in states where it is legal Target will take the stance of it being against the law federally.

This is it exactly.

It’s like everyone forgets about the Business Conduct Guide, and that there are more rules/resources online. Orientation flat out says it in the policy section that there is more online.

Ultimately it is store discretion. They can choose to have an old-fashioned STU, or send you out for a drug test due to probable cause.

Keep in mind that even in states where it is legal Target will take the stance of it being against the law federally.

What is an STU?

She cannot come back into work until they hear from whoever they had to contact. We have both read through the Target Code of Ethics, Business Conduct Guide and Target Employee Handbook and it doesn't state any action past termination. Since they didn't confiscate anything, we don't believe any legal action will take place.

Agree with above cops are to much woek foe something so petty. If she had stolen thats different. They are just getting her term situated so unemployment cant bite them back. Look foe a new job and play the game smarter next time.

Man, I bet her leadership is like 'GODDAMMIT why did she have to be so dumb as to be caught and now we actually have to DO something about this rather than pretend we didn't see it...."

What is an STU?

She cannot come back into work until they hear from whoever they had to contact. We have both read through the Target Code of Ethics, Business Conduct Guide and Target Employee Handbook and it doesn't state any action past termination. Since they didn't confiscate anything, we don't believe any legal action will take place.
It has already been stated, there is a large conduct guide that shows policies and procedures. These are not accessible to team members. When I was an etl I referred to it every time I put someone on corrective action.
They are partnering with the hrbp at the district office and waiting for a decision.

Back