Archived Possibility to move to the backroom... Advice from any backroom TM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked as a Target cashier for almost a year and I recently got hired this summer as a Hardlines TM at a different store in a different state. I picked up the job pretty quick and everyone really seems to like me and my work ethic. One of the HL TL's recently told me that a position in the backroom is opening up and that he thought I would be a good candidate and that I should apply for the position.

Here's the thing... our backroom team is not the nicest bunch of people and I don't know if I want to work in the same area as them. One of them is pretty cool, but at least half are punks. How much actual working WITH them on a day to day basis is there? Or is it mostly everyone is doing their own thing and not a huge amount of interaction. I know it is a raise going from HL to Backroom, but I don't want to turn into one of those punks.

Also, I feel like one of my stengths is my guest interactions, which would be basically non-existent in the backroom. Another thing is that I would sort of be hidden and I am afraid that might hurt my chances in the future to move up any more in the store.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I worked as a Target cashier for almost a year and I recently got hired this summer as a Hardlines TM at a different store in a different state. I picked up the job pretty quick and everyone really seems to like me and my work ethic. One of the HL TL's recently told me that a position in the backroom is opening up and that he thought I would be a good candidate and that I should apply for the position.

Here's the thing... our backroom team is not the nicest bunch of people and I don't know if I want to work in the same area as them. One of them is pretty cool, but at least half are punks. How much actual working WITH them on a day to day basis is there? Or is it mostly everyone is doing their own thing and not a huge amount of interaction. I know it is a raise going from HL to Backroom, but I don't want to turn into one of those punks.

Also, I feel like one of my stengths is my guest interactions, which would be basically non-existent in the backroom. Another thing is that I would sort of be hidden and I am afraid that might hurt my chances in the future to move up any more in the store.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you want to move up, being on the sales floor interacting directly with guests is your best bet. Unless you want to stay on the logistics side and become the BR TL. Yes, you will be interacting with the BR TMs and if they're a bunch of jerks, you'll either need to have thick skin and ignore them -- or if they cross a line, take the issue to your TL/HR.

In order to get really noticed by leadership, being on the sales floor is the best way. Not to mention constant communication on radio, answering guest service calls, phone calls for your specific area and backup cashiering.

You could still advance logistics side, but it's a little more difficult.

1st ask your ETL LOG and your STL if you can be put in the backroom, give them a good reason, not just say that you work hard.

as of working with them, we usually work on our own things separately, like when we are working on the auto backstock from the truck, one person will do paper, while another person does grocery, and at the same time another person will be doing chemicals etc. pritty much everyone is in charge of there own work, i bearly interact with any of them to be honest, only when it comes down to work.

as for backroom day, at my store there is only one opener, and one closer, so your pritty much by yourself the whole time, except if your the opener, there are still alot of people around at that time in the morning.

to be honest, not that many backroom tms at my store are fond of me already, they say i steal their hours and such, but thats only because im willing to put in the work, they gossip behind my back and i hear about it from the people who i am cool with. so, if you go to the backroom, be prepared for haters, dont let them bring you down, because at my store, EVERYONE wants a slice of backroom hours, idk how it is at yours, but just saying, haters gunna hate

My suggestion is to get your back room cert, first. That way, you will get a good understanding on how the back room it works. Then, you will know if you want to work there during 4th qtr.
It sounds like you a great tm on the sales floor. It doesn't hurt to learn other work centers.

Trust me, guest interaction is not even close to non-existant when you work backroom. Guest's can never find anyone on the sales floor and you have to walk through the store a couple times, often have to work out pulls because the ETL's for whatever reason are unable to do so and they tell you to do it. And you work a lot with your team in the backroom. I think more than sales floor to be honest.

Trust me, guest interaction is not even close to non-existant when you work backroom. Guest's can never find anyone on the sales floor and you have to walk through the store a couple times, often have to work out pulls because the ETL's for whatever reason are unable to do so and they tell you to do it. And you work a lot with your team in the backroom. I think more than sales floor to be honest.

Yeah, guest interaction is definitely not eliminated as a backroom TM. You will have to be on the sales floor from time to time depending on how the hourly CAFs drop and who's there with you; you won't be necessarily "hidden." You'll eventually be pushing the products on the line and guests can never find anyone on the sales floor in my store either, so they'll find you while you're trying to push.

You'll definitely have to work a lot with your team as it can get pretty hectic back there (at least in my store; I've learned on this forum that every store is quite different).

Logistics is a bit more of a challenge but if you don't mind a fast-paced, multitasking environment where you'll get a break from the sales floor then it's awesome (I love it).

You'll understand why BRTMs are not the nicest people on the whole store, especially Logistics Backroom

You'll understand why BRTMs are not the nicest people on the whole store, especially Logistics Backroom

My store's BRTMs are alright, for the most part. Our 'nasties' are pricing (especially when they're short a PDA) and a few flow veterans.

I'm sure that each backroom team is different. (I'm talking dayside since I've never done overnight).

Our Dayside Backroom Team is pretty amazing. High volume store so we don't push CAFs, and it takes most of an hour just to pull - so the only guest interaction comes when running guest pulls out to electronics (or, on our way to breaks). We communicate with each other often through out a shift to stay on top of who is doing what. Our TL works hard at communicating with other TL/ETLs about returning vehicles and storing them appropriately (or any other issues that affect our workspace or work efficiency). I'd say the major frustration for us has been poorly trained Seasonal TMs - on our team or sales floor. The core of our team has been working together for almost two years so I'm sure that helps make for an excellent team. It is also nice that our STL and a couple of ETLs have significant backroom time in the work history.

I'd guess that you will be recognized for great work in backroom even if it is off the main path monitored by management. Word gets around when someone (or a team) do a great job. Our DTL even knows us and takes time to chat when on a visit. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back