Archived Possible Good News For TMs In Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Getting tired of clopening or having the schedule put up so late you can't schedule your life?
Don't want to get sent home because the store has decided they are over hours?

Well if you live in Massachusetts there's a chance there is a bill in the State House that will stop all those practices.
It will actually make it so there has to be 11 hours between shifts.

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/201...M5zFB2TIAuBg8iu0Y8bJ/story.html?p1=Must_Reads

A scheduling bill introduced to the Massachusetts legislature this year could make “clopening” a thing of the past, along with employers’ longstanding ability to change employees’ work schedules at the last minute.

The bill, presented by Rep. Sean Garballey of Middlesex county, would mandate that employers give workers at least 11 hours between shifts and three weeks’ advance notice for schedules. Businesses would have to pay time and a half whenever employees are called in before 11 hours have passed between shifts.

Worker advocates say they’re happy to see the bill.

Alex Galimberti, a lead organizer for the Restaurant Opportunities Center of Boston said his local restaurant workers’ organization “welcomes” the bill. Most restaurant workers have to work more than one job, or work part time or full time while attending school, Galimberti explained.

“With unpredictable scheduling, it’s really hard for workers to have a good work-life balance,” Galimberti said, adding that many businesses currently let their workers see their scheduled hours only a week ahead of time.

Colleen Armstrong, youth coordinator for the Massachusetts Coalition for Occupational Safety and Health, said “clopening” and other common scheduling practices put many low-income workers—especially single parents and students—in uncomfortable positions.

“Employees are often put in situations where they are begging for their schedules because they have to study for a test, or figure out childcare,” Armstrong said. “Many managers say, ‘You’ll get your schedule when you get it,’ and that’s it.”

If employers make unexpected schedule changes under the new bill, they would have to give employees a revised written work schedule within 24 hours of making the change and receive written consent from the employee. Workers unable to consent to the rapid schedule change would not be penalized.

Additionally, on any day the employer either calls an employee to work unexpectedly, or cancels an employee’s shift outside of the fixed 21-day schedule, the employer would have to pay the employee’s wages for four hours or the number of hours the employee was scheduled to work (whichever is less.) This is called “predictability pay.”

It's sad laws like this are pretty much required now. You can't just trust a company to not schedule clopens or not give schedules 1 week in advance, but that's the way it is. Looks like they took some cues from California.

Ugh. So that will mean that those who close will always close. Or they will hire more people and cut everyone's hours.

I don't like clopening. But it's better than closing five nights a week or not getting my hours.

Ugh. So that will mean that those who close will always close. Or they will hire more people and cut everyone's hours.

I don't like clopening. But it's better than closing five nights a week or not getting my hours.

Nope. Welll, only if your days on are in a row. But even then you'd have to have days off eventually. If you close then have the next day off, you could open your next shift, because that's more than 11 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did this for a year and then some in market. I was willing to trade my soul to get off all closing.

Oh and I forgot 11 hours from closing is still morning, so this law in itself wouldn't mean closing constantly. Bad schedulers (or software) would, though

For me, 11 hours isn't even enough between shifts. I can never get to sleep as soon as I get home, and I'd have to if I don't wanna be nodding off at work. I have those microsleeps while walking sometimes. Idk why they move my schedule around so much. I'm so bad at figuring out a sleep routine with all the changing which explains why I'm posting here at this hour lol

The thing that I don't understand is -- isn't it in Spot's best interest to *not* have their workers clopen? I mean everyone knows people are less productive and worse at their jobs after clopening, there is a ton of research on the negative effects of acute sleep deprivation.

I guess I just don't fully understand the scheduling issues here. Why is clopening ever necessary? Can't you just schedule people for mid shifts if they close the day before?

The thing that I don't understand is -- isn't it in Spot's best interest to *not* have their workers clopen? I mean everyone knows people are less productive and worse at their jobs after clopening, there is a ton of research on the negative effects of acute sleep deprivation.

I guess I just don't fully understand the scheduling issues here. Why is clopening ever necessary? Can't you just schedule people for mid shifts if they close the day before?
It depends on their work center. For me, my work center is either open or close. As a GSA, there is no mid shift. Right now, I am on going on an overly long string of closing shifts. I would have loved a break up of having one of those be an opening shift.

It depends on their work center. For me, my work center is either open or close. As a GSA, there is no mid shift. Right now, I am on going on an overly long string of closing shifts. I would have loved a break up of having one of those be an opening shift.
Yup. No mid for market either, except truck. And that's only because our schedules stop changed.

I clopen every Friday and Saturday. It's awful. At least I have Saturday nights off.

That is wrong on so many levels.
Really sorry they are doing that to you.

Workers unable to consent to the rapid schedule change would not be penalized

Nice idea. I certainly approve of the intent. I'm curious how they're going to legislate to prevent "Nooo, your new schedule with 4 hours that we've properly posted weeks in advance is nothing to do with your refusal to consent to a change last week, it's change due to business needs"

I approve the 11 hours, 3 weeks for schedules eh about 2 weeks is fine for me. Don't see this happening anywhere other than the North East or California anytime soon.

Nice idea. I certainly approve of the intent. I'm curious how they're going to legislate to prevent "Nooo, your new schedule with 4 hours that we've properly posted weeks in advance is nothing to do with your refusal to consent to a change last week, it's change due to business needs"
If you can show a large reduction of hours like that to the labor department, I think it falls under "retaliation" or "penalization."

My heart goes out to the clopening team members losing an hour of sleep to daylight savings this weekend.

My heart goes out to the clopening team members losing an hour of sleep to daylight savings this weekend.

i one of the lucky ones gotta open tomorrow and close then come back for cash office one of my gsa is sick and another has a funeral and the other has the weekend off.

I'm an Electronics TM, and I have to clopen all the time. Having to do the Saturday until 11 PM, then the Sunday at 6 AM is the wooooooorst. Having to take down all of the ad and then put up all of the new ad. So tedious and tiresome, especially when I have to close on Friday, too, so my weekend is basically boned. OK rant over.

I'm an Electronics TM, and I have to clopen all the time. Having to do the Saturday until 11 PM, then the Sunday at 6 AM is the wooooooorst. Having to take down all of the ad and then put up all of the new ad. So tedious and tiresome, especially when I have to close on Friday, too, so my weekend is basically boned. OK rant over.
You need to change your availability, is suggested. Welcome, by the way.

You need to change your availability, is suggested. Welcome, by the way.

Thanks! My store doesn't usually allow people to request Saturday or Sunday off in their availability, unless it's something like you only get your kids certain weekends or something like that. When the old HR person was there she would make someone else take one of the shifts because she didn't want to schedule people to clopen in the early morning like that, but the new HR person doesn't seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back