Archived Possible Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am new to this forum, but I have read many posts on this website, and I have now encountered a problem in my store. Me and a team member have had a major argument in form of relationships. This team member has always been pretty obnoxious on the way he acts towards the female team members, and about a week ago I was dropping him off after he got drunk at a party, and he went off on all of the female team members to me. I decided I had enough and talked back toward him and his outrageous comments. The female team members got word of it and support my decision to tell him off and now he is threatening me with talking to HR about the situation. I really don't want to get them involved since it is not an issue with work, more of an outside problem. I am really scared for my job since I have been here for a while now and feel like I belong, I don't wanna leave.

I am really concerned with being terminated or even written up, so I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had to face HR over an out of work issue with a team member, and what were the results of it.

I am also looking to transfer out of the store since I am so annoyed of this team member. I feel it would be best for all, and avoid any kind of terminations and write ups.

Since it was an incident outside work, HR wouldn't intervene unless it begins to affect other TMs & store morale.
In an ideal world, all the female TMs would go to HR together to back your accounts of this TM's treatment of them (something they should do anyway).
If he goes to HR, it will likely come out that you were being responsible by giving him a ride home when he was obviously too impaired to drive. I don't see it harming you nor any reason you should face any disciplinary action for something that happened off the clock.
The only problem could be if he were a TL & you were TM as many stores frown on fraternizing between different levels.

Since it was an incident outside work, HR wouldn't intervene unless it begins to affect other TMs & store morale.
In an ideal world, all the female TMs would go to HR together to back your accounts of this TM's treatment of them (something they should do anyway).
If he goes to HR, it will likely come out that you were being responsible by giving him a ride home when he was obviously too impaired to drive. I don't see it harming you nor any reason you should face any disciplinary action for something that happened off the clock.
The only problem could be if he were a TL & you were TM as many stores frown on fraternizing between different levels.

Thank you so much. I have been waiting for a reply before I go to bed. Basically he is saying I'm ruining his reputation with other team members and they think different of him cuz of the incident, but they all have the same opinion of him even before the incident, but can't say it due to his ability to take overreact. He is friends with the HR team member, while I am on good terms with the ETL HR.

I was dropping him off after he got drunk at a party

My golden rule: Don't mix coworkers and alcohol. Coming from my own experiences, that doesn't end well. It can be fun to drink/party with coworkers, but it can easily turn into a giant HR hot mess. Luckily I figured this out and stopped involving myself in those shenanigans just in time. I avoided some serious coachings and corrective actions that my other coworkers received from the ETL-HR.

What's done is done, but your issue doesn't sound very serious and you'll be fine if he brings anything up. The best thing you can do to prevent these situations is to keep your relationships with coworkers professional if you think they're going to be bad news.

Thanks I will keep it professional with them from now on, he usually doesn't though. I really appreciate all of your replies and I can't thank all of you enough for your help.

Keep your distance, keep it professional, don't talk to other people about it, there is a good chance that it will go away.
Do write things down in detail so that if you do get called in you will have a non-emotional touch stone for laying out what happened.

So he ended up being all talk and just trying to scare me. Should I report his activity to HR just in case he actually does anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back