Archived Post-Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessa120

Current game: Elex
Six weeks into the new job.

While the boss has been doing internet sales for a long time, pulling him off the sales floor and creating a department for internet sales is fairly new. My only coworker was hired on about a week before me. So new department, new folks, figuring out exactly what is expected is in flux. The boss and his boss plus the GM had different visions of what should be done. Beginning of the month, the boss was out for surgery for a week and a half, his boss came down for several days and taught us exactly what she wanted us to do. He came back and every time he asked why I was doing something and I said "Your boss told me to" he slumped and looked like someone kicked his puppy.

My coworker was out the entire weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something planned prior to employment. There's two overlapping shifts, there's the boss and I, should work out well even though she's out.

Friday I showed up for work, late shift, and the boss is gone. Tendered his resignation effective immediately and left before I arrived. I had to handle the entire department's work on my 6 weeks of knowledge. And with limited time to track down a manager when something unfamiliar cropped up, so pick and choose which ones to guess and run with it and which ones to put everything on hold and find someone. Oh, and while I got some extra time approved to come in on my day off, I couldn't get enough time to do all day coverage of the other day, only partial day, so I had to prep before and fix after.

And sad as it sounds, it's not near as bad as the stress was during my last few months at Target. Heck, whenever I go back and say hi while shopping, everyone talks about how I'm smiling and I look so happy and how great I look.

Six weeks into the new job.

While the boss has been doing internet sales for a long time, pulling him off the sales floor and creating a department for internet sales is fairly new. My only coworker was hired on about a week before me. So new department, new folks, figuring out exactly what is expected is in flux. The boss and his boss plus the GM had different visions of what should be done. Beginning of the month, the boss was out for surgery for a week and a half, his boss came down for several days and taught us exactly what she wanted us to do. He came back and every time he asked why I was doing something and I said "Your boss told me to" he slumped and looked like someone kicked his puppy.

My coworker was out the entire weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something planned prior to employment. There's two overlapping shifts, there's the boss and I, should work out well even though she's out.

Friday I showed up for work, late shift, and the boss is gone. Tendered his resignation effective immediately and left before I arrived. I had to handle the entire department's work on my 6 weeks of knowledge. And with limited time to track down a manager when something unfamiliar cropped up, so pick and choose which ones to guess and run with it and which ones to put everything on hold and find someone. Oh, and while I got some extra time approved to come in on my day off, I couldn't get enough time to do all day coverage of the other day, only partial day, so I had to prep before and fix after.

And sad as it sounds, it's not near as bad as the stress was during my last few months at Target. Heck, whenever I go back and say hi while shopping, everyone talks about how I'm smiling and I look so happy and how great I look.
Thanks for updating about your life, good luck with job hopping.

Eek. I thought I was doing good. Now I'm not so sure. I welcome advice.

I arrived at work yesterday, someone clearly had been sitting at my desk. Not unusual, but my resume and references were lying on my desk. I dont know why. I found out the person using my desk was my ex-boss' boss' boss. Since I'm still in my probationary period all I can think of is they were scouring it looking for falsehood. I didn't falsify anything, but the job previous to Target I left on really bad terms - specifically I covered my desk with post it notes about what was what, gave my keys to the other closing coworker, and cried the whole way home because I had been pushed into a partial nervous breakdown. (I was on FMLA taking leave as needed at the time.)

I actually haven't had a lot of jobs, a lot of my experience was long term temp work. What would they be looking for? Is leaving on bad terms then going to screw me now?

My husband says not to worry, that maybe as new as I was, I was considered for taking over. Or because they were interviewing people at that time for promotion, maybe they wanted the paperwork available for the new boss.

I hope he's right. It's just to me nerve wracking, especially since either the CEO or another top officer was in the office next door conducting the interviews, it wasn't the GM doing it.

Okay, so apparently when desks were being cleaned out my resume was in one of them, and someone saw my name and left it for me.

I can't wait until they get someone else. They are keeping us under 40, but there are a lot of 10.5 hour days, and there's times of no coverage, so clean up after.

And it's 100x better than Target. I play on my phone half the day because I have a call quota and there's not much to focus on while the phone is ringing. 35 average seconds of phone ringing before voicemail picks up, play with phone during the rings, talk, make notes, send a "call me" email, 35 seconds of ringing and playing. Details like crazy, but in general I'm setting appointments and making phone calls. $12/hour, plus commissions, full time, inexpensive and good benefits. And every day I leave feeling like I accomplished most or all of my day's tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back