Service & Engagement Post voiding and keeping

I wonder if you would get one if they are just stealing stupid stuff like bananas from food ave?

Being APTL and making $35 an hour is like winning the lottery, so if OP's tale happened to fall on payday it was more like winning two lotteries

Thank you all for all your information, and wise advice.

Here's the thing. The store is very busy. Post voids happen all the time. I believe it's entirely possible that she purchased both items, brought them out to her car, and then post voided them without anyone noticing. We're constantly defecting out laptops and iPads. The awful thing (maybe not even for her but for me) is that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop! The not knowing if they're on to her is what was killing me.

I find our head of asset protection to be a very strange person. Are they all like that? He says weird things all the time. He always seems to be looking beyond you when he speaks to you, if that makes any sense. Creeps me out.

BTW I think altogether the items she stole were worth just a bit under $500, so that might be in her favor if she does get caught.

Here's the thing. The store is very busy. Post voids happen all the time. I believe it's entirely possible that she purchased both items, brought them out to her car, and then post voided them without anyone noticing. We're constantly defecting out laptops and iPads. The awful thing (maybe not even for her but for me) is that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop! The not knowing if they're on to her is what was killing me.

I find our head of asset protection to be a very strange person. Are they all like that? He says weird things all the time. He always seems to be looking beyond you when he speaks to you, if that makes any sense. Creeps me out.

BTW I think altogether the items she stole were worth just a bit under $500, so that might be in her favor if she does get caught.

I work for a high volume store as well, post void slips and everything get processed through cash office after the weeks over and they get sent up to corporate we are able to pull a post void report and are asked to audit it occasionally. Something of that high amount will for sure make the list. Despite your AP being "weird", its in your best interest to turn your friend in. You'll get compensated and its better than the alternative of getting caught up in the internal investigation and losing your job over it. No type of friend is worth that. Ultimately it will be your decision but if it were me, i'd be in AP tomorrow morning as for all you know the investigation may have already begun

Last edited:

Both items? When did it become more than a laptop?

The store is very busy. Post voids happen all the time.
You don’t seem to understand that there is an entire team inside and outside your store that are DEDICATED to protecting Target’s financial interests by catching theft. High volume does not equate to more things slipping under the radar.

You get a gift card if you turn someone in?
You get a $100 Target gift card if you provide information that leads to a conviction/apprehension.

I don't know what the exact details are surrounding when they decide to give it to you. But I'm sure the poster is somewhere in your TMSC or outside AP's office. Our AP has it on her office door.

I said that at 1110am. The police are always at one of our local Targets. Their AP folks must be on commission, they nail a lot of boosters.

I wouldn't call this cunning so much as naive and stupid

My then ETL HR told me at orientation... "AP always knows."
It is stupid, but it’s as if some people think that if they steal in a sneaky way instead of just walking out with something that they will get away with it, and nobody will know the difference, but AP does always know. The sticky-fingered seem to put so much thought into how to game the system, but never seem to stop to think about the consequences. AP checks everything, especially post voids for electronics and anything with a TM discount on it, all the guilty party has done is leave them a paper trail of evidence. Yep, naive and stupid.

It is stupid, but it’s as if some people think that if they steal in a sneaky way instead of just walking out with something that they will get away with it, and nobody will know the difference, but AP does always know. The sticky-fingered seem to put so much thought into how to game the system, but never seem to stop to think about the consequences. AP checks everything, especially post voids for electronics and anything with a TM discount on it, all the guilty party has done is leave them a paper trail of evidence. Yep, naive and stupid.
Yup. They can literally see every key we press.

Back