Archived Power went out

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the power went out, I texted my friend how I wouldn't be surprised to hear AP on the walkie saying something about a person running out the door with high priced merch. I shit you not, 5 minutes after that someone bolted out the door with a $200 vacuum. Also we have to toss our entire fresh area. Yay!

After the power went out, I texted my friend how I wouldn't be surprised to hear AP on the walkie saying something about a person running out the door with high priced merch. I shit you not, 5 minutes after that someone bolted out the door with a $200 vacuum. Also we have to toss our entire fresh area. Yay!

Well order a extra dumpster and you will now have time for all the pfresh cleaning they never have time for.

Bet that costs more than the $200 vacuum.

Spot has insurance for all that frozen/cooler food. The insurance is cheaper than buying/installing/maintaining/testing back-up generators. We usually lose power at least once a year where we have to order a dumpster and trash all that food. Wish there was a way to donate at least some of it to a food bank. Such a waste throwing it all out.

Reactions: Him
We have a big block V8 engine generator, but I don't think it powers any coolers/freezers.

That generator is crazy loud. Almost had to cover my ears when going to the bathroom in the backroom!

Power going out is an "experience" I agree with the donation of food though.. That is just a waste.. Some of it though truly is spoiled and our health is more important though.

If it's perishable, there's not really anything you can do to get it donated before it goes bad. Unless your food donation contact can show up with a refrigerated truck very quickly.

Wait, you have to toss all the perishables every time theres a power outage? Do stores not have generators? Ours does. Whenever there's an outage, it only lasts about a minute before the generators kick in.

That seems terribly wasteful. Is that only if power goes out for a certain amount of time? Even if it's out for an hour....all that food should still be cold, since it would take a while for the coolers to warm up, and the food to lose temperature.

No there are no generators in the stores I've worked at that cover the coolers/freezers in the backroom or the salesfloor. If usually takes 2+ hours of no power for the food to qualify as out-of-temp. It's the open air coolers in pfresh that go the quickest. We wrapped ours up with plastic wrap which was a PITA but it kept it cold for the 2 1/2 hrs the power was out.

Wait, you have to toss all the perishables every time theres a power outage? Do stores not have generators? Ours does. Whenever there's an outage, it only lasts about a minute before the generators kick in.

My store does have a generator, but a couple months ago there was an outage and the generator kicked in but went out right away. Which was odd considering our store is only a few years old. You'd think we'd have a working generator. We ended up having to toss everything because the power was out for several hours with no generator.

Had a similar situation happen to us last December, had an ice storm so bad that our power kept going out & back on every 5 minutes and then our generators gave up for awhile so we had to throw everything in the coolers & freezers out it was a disaster. We couldn't even clock in/out and our registers kept rebooting. They wouldn't even let us close the store and hardly nobody came that day. If anything they lost money keeping the store open and paying everyone to do nothing instead of just closing.

I kind of wish that our electricity would go out long enough to have to toss everything... Then we could fix our inventory numbers...

I kind of wish that our electricity would go out long enough to have to toss everything... Then we could fix our inventory numbers...
You have no idea how nice it is to have a 100% accurate fresh count right now. So nice. And since I'm an opener I have nothing to do but zone tomorrow morn!

My store does have a generator, but a couple months ago there was an outage and the generator kicked in but went out right away. Which was odd considering our store is only a few years old. You'd think we'd have a working generator. We ended up having to toss everything because the power was out for several hours with no generator.
And this is why PMTs are supposed to test the generator once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back