Archived Pregnancy Disclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilith

That one TM that works in every area.
So I found out that I'm pregnant about 2 weeks ago when I had an ovarian cyst rupture and I'm looking for some advice.
When should I tell them that I am pregnant? I've been trying to tell every LOD right now that I can't do any heavy lifting or anything, but they still try to get me to lift and push heavy things.
Who do I talk to about the life change of pregnancy? Should I talk to HR or just tell the LOD/ETL in charge of my area?

Thanks in advance!!

If the cyst rupture and/or the pregnancy are affecting your ability to perform, then you need to get a doctor's order regarding the change in your physical capacities and talk to HR to get it on file. Then, yes, you'll probably have to have repeated conversations with leaders while they adjust to the change. They're accustomed to you being able to do certain things that are now beyond your limitations, and it will take a bit of time to retrain them. ;)

And congrats on the pending arrival!

I've just been trying to figure out when the best time to say anything about it would be. This is my second child and I wasn't working when I was pregnant with my first so I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it.

Thank you!

Is it the cyst or pregnancy that prevents the lifting, etc?

As GoodyNN explained, you will need to present documentation on your limitations to HR. I am not sure you have to tell them why you have any limitations, however. As for when you tell leadership you are pregnant, you can tell them when you want. You aren't obligated to tell them, but once you have a visible baby bump, well then the cat is out of the bag.

So I found out that I'm pregnant about 2 weeks ago when I had an ovarian cyst rupture and I'm looking for some advice.
When should I tell them that I am pregnant? I've been trying to tell every LOD right now that I can't do any heavy lifting or anything, but they still try to get me to lift and push heavy things.
Who do I talk to about the life change of pregnancy? Should I talk to HR or just tell the LOD/ETL in charge of my area?

Thanks in advance!!

As an HR Business Partner (with a different organization) I can say that your management team does not need to know your medical condition. They only need to know what limitations you may have. That should be more formally communicated via your ADA internal process (accommodations). I believe in the past that process was handled on site by your HR-ETL or HR-Sr. Team Leader. They would take partners with Targets accommodations team to make the appropriate determination with your medical provider as to what should and shouldn't be doing. The only things your management team needs to know are what you can and can't do. They shouldn't be asking you "what's wrong with you?" or "what's your medical situation."

Only my hr and one senior knew at about 6 weeks because I was inquiring about doctors. I didn’t tell most anyone else until 20 weeks because I was worried about a miscarriage and didn’t want to deal with that.

Another coworker who fell pregnant around the same time only told me and leaders in case something happened.

Anytime something heavy needed to be lifted in the beginning I would just find someone nice enough to lift it for me and explain I hurt my back. I don’t have to lift much often anyways. I don’t climb the ladders because I exceed the weight capacity so no one questioned it.

Now that I’m 29 weeks pregnant and most people know, it gets kind of annoying because they act like I can’t do anything sometimes.

Congratulations!

I will definantly get some form of documentation from my OB at my 12 week appointment.
It's mainly the pregnancy that stops me from heavy lifting since I'm not passed the first trimester yet and am worried about a possible miscarriage if I do any heavy lifting.
@nooooo that's how my husband is, he won't let me do anything. He's always worried something is too heavy or might hurt me somehow.

Thank you guys for all the info and advice, I really appreciate it!

Congratulations!

I wouldn't worry too much about heavy lifting, particularly in the first tri, if you'd rather keep your secret longer. This early in the pregnancy miscarriage is mostly going to be chromosomal, and even later in pregnancy, heavy lifting is a pretty low risk. Unless you have risk factors for a placental abruption or similar.

If you want them to throw you a baby shower, you're gonna have to tell someone eventually. ;)

Congrats on the future sticker-requestor, btw :)

I told one person I work with because she kind of already had a feeling I was so I just told her she was right haha.

Thank you! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back