Archived Presentation Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my store my team gets cut around 20-40 per week. As many of you Presentation TMs/TLs know the hours are definitely missed. I will be replacing the TL. And I was wondering what are YOUR stores hours/routines look like as far as setting and maintaining best practice? Like what works and what doesn't. My team now is very strong yet we constantly are having to carry over workloads from week to week, does this happen in other stores? We set everything POGs, Revs, Sales Planners. We have to push transitions pallets and we have to pull and backstock(btw, does that even come out of the workload?). Also I heard that the Presentation TL is not suppose to set but suppose to supervise. Is this the case in other stores? If so do those hours come from sales floor or Presentation hours?

Also any advice or information will be greatly appreciated negative or positive!

HELP!!!
THANK YOU!

Last edited:
I am the PTL in my store and according to the adj cal we lost anywhere from 40 - 100 hours a week. we are in the same situation where we have to finish each weeks work the following week. we pull, push, set but we don't do salesplanners and we dont backstock, but we do push the truck everyday from 7am until finished and then we have to do smart huddle. SO normally from 7am- 9:30am we do no presentation work. Then we go to lunch at 9:30. I have to set otherwise it would be much worse. I only have 3 team members and that includes my signing tm who helps whenever she doesnt have signing. I normally pick the biggest and hardest stuff to set first and go from there, I group everything together like if I have shoes I do all the shoe rev's at the same time. I just make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing, keep us on track, keep track of breaks so noone is taking long breaks and I communicate with my ETL and STL daily. I used to get really upset when we didnt get our work done but they make it really hard to care when your set up for failure. I figure I give 100% and do what I am told and if it doesnt get done Ill deal with it next week.

Luckily we only help push the truck when needed. But that sounds crazy to start setting around 1015! How are you able to keep up with the workload with so few TMs and the hours you get?!!?

We go in at 4am so we work from 4am - 7 on plano.. then truck and smart huddle till 9:30. then back to plano till 12:30. I am not able to keep up with the workload lol We kind of have a good routine down. On Monday we start with the biggest transition, tuesday I send one or two people to do the video game revisions and new release checklane and then work on whatever we have time for and go from there. I just prioritize and if my etl or stl want me to focus one one thing first I go with whatever they want. I let them know what we will need help with (we never get any help) and do as much as possible every week my stl says " wheres your jeopardy" and I tell him, then he decides if we get help or not.. (usually not) then on sat someone goes through and fake ties everything left and on Monday we finish up last weeks work and start the current week if we can. sometimes I do get help from the backroom team if they can manage it, they will pull my batches but that is very rare maybe once a week or every two weeks. depends on who the backroom day person is

wow. i think we need a new pog guide on here, divided up by which volume you are in and how much your leadership team is not in sync with pog best practice. looking across my entire district, we have tons of stores that are tied green (a handful that aren't even tied), but VERY few that are truly green with ties, fills, signing, and SFLA. there needs to be a serious wake up call to the etl/stl/dtl group across the company regarding routine and transition roll outs vs payroll and priority.

jayytee, best of luck with your new role! every store is different. just fight for what you need, and back it up with numbers. i for one am a PULL leader--climbing the mountain full speed ahead leading the team. some leaders are PUSH leaders--drivers cracking the whip over the mules. if you emphasize your shared goals and collaborate with your team (and this means being the best at every aspect of your job, including setting, pushing, organizing, developing, executing) you get much better results. my pet peeve is new in role leaders who think they are merely "supervisors".
"The boss drives people; the leader coaches them. The boss depends on authority; the leader on good will. The boss inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm. The boss says "I"; The leader says "WE". The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown. The boss says, "GO"; the leader says "LET'S GO!" ---
H. Gordon Selfridge

Thank You for all your replies. They are much appreciated! I know I will be successful but I have heard so many negative things about plano. I've heard things about how TLs demote themselves because they cannot handle the stress. And so on...

How do you guys handle your fixture rooms? Mine is always torn up because we are a high volume store and have many people going in and out...
Also could you guys elaborate on your signing TMs. Do you expect them to help with the workload?
One last thing.. lol Do Yout(TLs) also do signing every other weekend? setup+takedown?

In my current store the negativity towards plano is deserved. The team all punch in at 5 minutes to 4(am). They proceed to the TL office and wait for the Plano TL who usually just makes it at 5 after 4. While she gets her stack of papers ready the team is continuing their "what I did last night" conversations. Finally around 4:25 they hit the floor. Thats 30 minutes per person 15 of which were spent chatting. If any other team did that they would be coached. Plano in our store is entitled. They will whine, ***** and moan about how the fixture room is always left a mess. BUT they will leave a huge mess at the baler without batting an eye. Not one of them will make a bale if it goes off while they are using it. They will also not pull a POG no matter how far behind the backroom is. If just once the words "thank you" came out of their mouths I would die on the spot. The TL will put in a weeks worth of POGS to be pulled only to have them sit for days. This not only ties up vehicles but plays havoc with our instock process due to the fact that POGS are tied and not set. The team all think they need LPDAs, even when working in the same aisles. They think they would be struck by lightning if they used a PDA. They will not respond to the lanes, answer a call box or help with a carry out because "they have too much to get done"
Not all Plano teams are like this. I have worked with some exceptional Plano TLs and team members. The ones who know what true team work is. They know their job is important but acknowledge that everyones else has an important job as well. The previous Plano TLs worked closely with flow and the backroom TLs to make sure that the workload was spread out to ensure things were being pulled and worked on the same day. She also made sure that back stock came back in an orderly fashion, not just thrown into a tub. She actually thanked the backroom team members for pulling on short notice and thanked the flow team for filling. The team I work with now thinks they are gods gift to Target. I interact with them as little as possible

We are a B volume store. I am on all best practices except I dont go into TWT and plan my workload out because it changes too much day to day based on my etl's and STL's whim. We tie, drop, set, pull, push, do out's and signing. I have 2 team members and myself on the POG team and one signing team member. Her main focus is her weekly signing, I also make sure she sorts the sales planner signing and prints all the urgent e-batches and prep batch every Friday. When her signing is complete she does help the POG team. As for the fixture room thats a whole different animal. I am generally the fixture room nazi and call people out and coach if I know who didnt put their fixtures away.. Normally it is very organized because I do make them come clean up after themselves. For example, If the fixture room is clean, all shelves hung, fixtures put away and I come in and there's softlines shelves leaving up against the wall, I call the softlines team lead and ETL back to the fixture room and make them help me put them away. This makes them in turn hold their own team member accountable because they hate cleaning up after people also. My STL backs me up with this practice also.
Every other weekend I work, one weekend I open one weekend I close. (i hate it) Over all I LOVE planogram and just wish I had more resources to get my workload done each week. We come across as green because they fake tie stuff but before the remodel we just went through I was always green legitimately. I used to be very happy and proud of my team but now its a daily/weekly struggle with all the other stuff we've bee doing.. Out of 8 hours a day 3 of those hours are spent doing other stuff DAILY

In my current store the negativity towards plano is deserved. The team all punch in at 5 minutes to 4(am). They proceed to the TL office and wait for the Plano TL who usually just makes it at 5 after 4. While she gets her stack of papers ready the team is continuing their "what I did last night" conversations. Finally around 4:25 they hit the floor. Thats 30 minutes per person 15 of which were spent chatting. If any other team did that they would be coached. Plano in our store is entitled. They will whine, ***** and moan about how the fixture room is always left a mess. BUT they will leave a huge mess at the baler without batting an eye. Not one of them will make a bale if it goes off while they are using it. They will also not pull a POG no matter how far behind the backroom is. If just once the words "thank you" came out of their mouths I would die on the spot. The TL will put in a weeks worth of POGS to be pulled only to have them sit for days. This not only ties up vehicles but plays havoc with our instock process due to the fact that POGS are tied and not set. The team all think they need LPDAs, even when working in the same aisles. They think they would be struck by lightning if they used a PDA. They will not respond to the lanes, answer a call box or help with a carry out because "they have too much to get done"
Not all Plano teams are like this. I have worked with some exceptional Plano TLs and team members. The ones who know what true team work is. They know their job is important but acknowledge that everyones else has an important job as well. The previous Plano TLs worked closely with flow and the backroom TLs to make sure that the workload was spread out to ensure things were being pulled and worked on the same day. She also made sure that back stock came back in an orderly fashion, not just thrown into a tub. She actually thanked the backroom team members for pulling on short notice and thanked the flow team for filling. The team I work with now thinks they are gods gift to Target. I interact with them as little as possible

Im sad that your plano team is like that, all of my tm's wont hesitate to make a bale (even me even though i dont like it lol) I actually spent most of my shift today (I am the plano tl) pulling the batches for my team and pushing them after I got my pre-ties done. The only thing we dont do is backstock.

Thank You for all your replies. They are much appreciated! I know I will be successful but I have heard so many negative things about plano. I've heard things about how TLs demote themselves because they cannot handle the stress. And so on...

How do you guys handle your fixture rooms? Mine is always torn up because we are a high volume store and have many people going in and out...
Also could you guys elaborate on your signing TMs. Do you expect them to help with the workload?
One last thing.. lol Do Yout(TLs) also do signing every other weekend? setup+takedown?

Your signing ninja has their own workload and probably not enough hours to get it done as it is.
He/she is also the one who is going to be trying to keep the fixture room cleaned up.
Make sure you train your team to clean up after themselves and put away their stuff everyday.
Also you have to help ride herd on the TLs and ETLs who do dump and runs.
They are not going to listen to your signing ninja when it comes to keeping the fixture room neat so you have to help.

Fixture room is a never ending nightmare. You will have it clean one day and the next day its disorganized again. We try to get ETLs and TLs to enforce keeping it clean but eventually it wears off. We also tried to keep the fixture room locked but ETLs are tired of having to walk back and unlocking it so they leave it propped open. Never leave open boxes or carts in the fixture room. They are just asking to be filled with random fixtures that people are too lazy to put away. For our store, softlines is the worst as they leave tubs full of shelves and hang bars in the fixture room. We also have problems with the ad take down team because they leave sign holders in a cart and push it in the fixture room.

tellmeaboutatime: wow that sounds horrible. I try to avoid the people with bad attitudes as well. I get everyone has those days but thats no excuse for having a negative attitude all the time. However in my store there are less and less. Performancing them out!
nrt: we also fake tie every week. I would like to get to a point where thats not needed. but it seems like everyone does it. I asked my etl if there was something we can do with the different hours(next week we have 50) like maybe something company wide that they dont see. but i wouldnt even know where to start.
commiecorvus: I see what you mean about the dump and runs. I have one hardlines tl in particular who constantly leaves his hba shippers in the fixture room along with his cosmetics brand TM. Price Change also leaves their mess. Im glad to know im not the only one with a bad fixture room at times!
ISM: the no carts or boxes is a great idea. that actually makes a lot of sense and something i hope to imply. thank you!

How was everyone's TV wall set? and seasonal sets?
we had a lot of display tv that were nop so we are simming them out.

tv wall was ok.. got it done relatively easy only had two display tv's we had to deal with that were clearance.
If we aren't fake tying the saleplanners that the tl's don't set then we are fake tying the rest of the plano workload weekly. I think this week we might actually get the week done but im not getting too excited yet. I was off yesterday so who knows what my team was able to accomplish, the ETL's seem to take advantage whenever I am not there and take my tm's to do other stuff liek smart huddle for 3 hours and such. next week I only got 40 hours for plano.
Why is your tl leaving the hba shippers? are they saving them for some reason, I had one new tl that was trying to save everything, I had a serious talk with her and feeling brave to throw things away.

I recently posted this in the Tying POGs thread

The most cohesive system I have personally worked with is much different than the common model found in stores. In this practice, our plano team would tie and create the new POG fill for the POGs for the NEXT day at the end of their workday. In the evening a back room team member who was using plano team hours would pull the batches and prepare them for the next morning. This allowed the plano team to set and work their new merchandise out without waiting for the dayside backroom to pull the batches, which can sometimes delay the push process.

Since revisions tend to not bring much new merchandise to the sales floor, those would often be tied and pulled during the day.

This may not help a lot with your situation, but by having the POG pulls worked in the evening, they are not working around the backroom team that will be pulling, backstocking, and working in the backroom. It may not sound like much, but the availability of vehicles and ladders, as well as the lack of others in the backroom, cuts the POG pull time quite a bit.

TV wall seems to have gone okay at my store. It looks better now that the holes are filled in.

Anyone have advice on how to keep the fixture room organized? If it isn't the top three or four items people need (9 in peg hooks, fast backs, label holders, 3/4 foot shelves) it gets dumped in a cart. What can be done to make finding things easier?

TV wall seems to have gone okay at my store. It looks better now that the holes are filled in.

Anyone have advice on how to keep the fixture room organized? If it isn't the top three or four items people need (9 in peg hooks, fast backs, label holders, 3/4 foot shelves) it gets dumped in a cart. What can be done to make finding things easier?

Gray bins, lots and lots of gray bins.
Order those and you can order the pictures of the fixtures that should go in them (I don't remember the #).
Then beat anybody who doesn't sort their carts into the bins.
Never put metal fixtures in cardboard boxes.
Also check the signing thread that stuck up top there are a bunch of great suggestions with pictures for organization.

A few years ago when they wanted fixtures to be located they sent pictures that went onto the outside of the bins to show what was in them. If you don't have the pictures print out a sign that details what's in the bin (i.e. 9" peghooks, 9" heavy duty, etc.) We also include part numbers in case we need to order more.

Gray bins, lots and lots of gray bins.
Order those and you can order the pictures of the fixtures that should go in them (I don't remember the #).
Then beat anybody who doesn't sort their carts into the bins.
Never put metal fixtures in cardboard boxes.
Also check the signing thread that stuck up top there are a bunch of great suggestions with pictures for organization.

A few years ago when they wanted fixtures to be located they sent pictures that went onto the outside of the bins to show what was in them. If you don't have the pictures print out a sign that details what's in the bin (i.e. 9" peghooks, 9" heavy duty, etc.) We also include part numbers in case we need to order more.

The only drawback to this is that there are lots of fixtures that don't have a sticker in the set, or the description/drawing are terrible, or there's only one sticker for an item that you intend to have two or three bins of, etc. I found that it was better to take actual pictures of the items and securely tape them to the front of the bins (just get your ETL to requisition the prints from the photo lab), along with a typed note with the description and part number.

at my store we actually took pictures of every fixture and taped it to the outside of the bin. its worked relatively well except for softlines. laziest bunch in the store they dont wantto sort their fixtures but then they are the first to complain when its a mess. whenever I have to spend time in there I make them give me one sl tm and one hl tm.

I have the part numbers for the gray bins, the photo stickers, and the yellow labels. I will find these for you. My store still uses these. However, nobody actually follows it. *sigh*:angry:

I have the part numbers for the gray bins, the photo stickers, and the yellow labels. I will find these for you. My store still uses these. However, nobody actually follows it. *sigh*:angry:

Same at my store.

So this week = super small. we got 40 hours, my one tm was put in the backroom for the whole week, my second tm took 2 days vacation and was put on cashier one day and plano 2 days, my signing tm was scheduled plano 1 day and signing 2 days off the rest of the week and I was scheduled off 3 days (much to my delight) so I only worked on plano 2 days, Sunday I worked hardlines. My etl knew we only had 40 hours, he also knew that we were behind setting the one spot and some revisions last week, today he comes to me and says we need to get 100% current what can we do! I said its Thursday at the end of the day and now your asking what we can do? You knew we were a whole day behind to begin with and now you want me to miraculously find someone to come in on Friday to help me get get everything finished? on top of spending over an hour pushing the truck and another hours doing smart huddle, pulling and pushing? RAWR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back