Archived Presentation Team Leader Core Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you're best bet is to get them from workbench. We can help answer some basic questions, but we can't hand out specifics of how Target runs their business. Anyone with access to Workbench can look up any position's core roles.

Hi, all! I am brand new with Tar-jey as a PTL and am wondering about some basic processes involved with the POG fills/transitions/etc. I understand the basic process of using the Adjacency Calendar/Map to plan in advance for transitions/etc., but what I am not sure of is how to best determine which endcaps to use for the Sales Planners. Basically, where do the products shift to and how do I know when prioritizing? During PTM, the POGS that go MPG are going to go clearance? When do I take product to the backstock? When do I flex? I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with the product that I am replacing with the new POGS. What am I looking for to determine where the old product goes? Any help would be mucho appreciado! :D

Welcome to Target and The Break Room!

If an aisle is MPG, it will be reset soon, though not all items will necessarily go on clearance (some items might be on the next POG). When you're flexing, you want to make the aisle look neat and know where the flexed items are. What I was told is that items should only be flexed into "dead locations." A "dead location" is what my store calls a location whose item is discontinued and out of stock (0 on-hand). Because the item that belongs in that location is discontinued, it won't be replenished, so why should that "dead location" be empty when you want to get rid of merchandise before it hits clearance? Home locations for clearance items are also "dead," so any item that's on clearance may be merchandised there. *Remember, your store may do things differently - this is how my store does PTMs.

Depending on what your ETLs say, you may or may not be allowed to backstock PTM items. If your sales floor TLs and/or Instocks team stay on top of their PTM pulls, then you should be able to backstock the items and still have them come back out.

Anything else, the "poggies" can help you with. dek067 and ptl, are your ears on?

but what I am not sure of is how to best determine which endcaps to use for the Sales Planners. Basically, where do the products shift to and how do I know when prioritizing?

In a perfect world you can go by your adjacency and set each endcap where it is assigned. The adjacency will show each endcap to be something like "D115 08, D115 10, D115 07" then all of the salesplanners will be named "08F random SPL" "10B random SPL" with the B and F indicating backs and front, then when new SPL come in you should just be able to look at where SPL "08" is set to replace with the new 08. Sadly it doesn't always work the way it is supposed to.

Depending on your store volume one thing that has helped my ULV store tremendously is tying the aisles and dropping pulls in a day in advance. Since we are a 6am store, we have low staffing and by doing this it lets our backroom TM pull the next days POG pulls during slack time, and the current days pulls are always ready to go as soon as the POG TM finishes setting their aisle.

As PTL I follow the over-communicate process. I fill out "my plan" on TWT the week before sets are due to have everything planned out, then I send out an email to all TL and ETL with a link to my plan and a general breakdown of what the POG team is doing each day. If major sets are occurring that need clearance / clearing off I'll shoot off an email at the beginning of the week with what day the POGs need to be cleared on.

The core roles are as follows:

• Weave miracles.
  • Walk on water.
  • Do it with hardly any TMs AND scraps for hours AND while the store is open for half your shift.

Somehow, my Plano TL does exactly this.

I'm pretty sure they're considered confidential documents and so we aren't supposed to share them outside of Target. They should be accessible to anyone on Workbench, though.

LOL ROFL....

You *do* realize that 99% of companies post core roles (AKA - a "job description") to the public for anyone applying for a position, right?

If a job description is "confidential" at Target, then that means no TM should be allowed to tell anyone what they do at work. Since there is no rule that forbids a TM from telling people what their job entails at work (i.e. their job description), then that is de facto proof that a job description - "core roles" - is not intended to be confidential info.

LOL ROFL....

You *do* realize that 99% of companies post core roles (AKA - a "job description") to the public for anyone applying for a position, right?

If a job description is "confidential" at Target, then that means no TM should be allowed to tell anyone what they do at work. Since there is no rule that forbids a TM from telling people what their job entails at work (i.e. their job description), then that is de facto proof that a job description - "core roles" - is not intended to be confidential info.

You *do* realize that a job description is not the same as core roles, which is an internal company document meant only for the team members currently employed by Target, right?

Since there is no rule that forbids a TM from telling people what their job entails at work (i.e. their job description), that is fine. However, this OP was asking for specific copies of the core roles, which is a no no. Two different things.
The core roles is not available during the job hiring process. The website states: Target Stores
Help all guests promptly and efficiently
Keep store clean, well-stocked and clutter-free
Be a respectful, safe Target team member.

The rest of the role is described only during the new videos that are shown during the hiring process and what the new tm discussing with the etls during the hiring process. They do not receive core roles until their first shift, after they are 100% complete with the hiring process. As many a poster stated above, posting these documents online will either get you fired or at least a very large headache.

Reactions: ptl
Hi, all! I am brand new with Tar-jey as a PTL and am wondering about some basic processes involved with the POG fills/transitions/etc. I understand the basic process of using the Adjacency Calendar/Map to plan in advance for transitions/etc., but what I am not sure of is how to best determine which endcaps to use for the Sales Planners. Basically, where do the products shift to and how do I know when prioritizing? During PTM, the POGS that go MPG are going to go clearance? When do I take product to the backstock? When do I flex? I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with the product that I am replacing with the new POGS. What am I looking for to determine where the old product goes? Any help would be mucho appreciado! :D

Once you reset the endcap, don't worry about the PTM stuff. Once the tie is broken, it will not drop into the system again unless it's dually located down a PTM aisle.

Use the maps to plan where to put the endcaps, GTC to AJAX for nailing that info! :excited:

Never flex. Flex is the only four letter word that should never be uttered in TGT. If you're 100% on your location accuracy and setting everything to POG, mysupport what aisles/endcaps set light. Check the instocks report under the store performance tab to see the areas with suspected instock problems that will need your attention. This will save a TON of challenge/repush/backstock/instocks double work. No one should be faking endcaps, and they shouldn't tie things to weird physical sections in order to fake them.

Backstock what doesn't fit into the home location or in no longer on pog. 80% of the time, is it discontinued product that will come back out in the price change workload. If you flex this stuff out, pricing will not be able to find it and it will affect their score (you can use sf tie app, but you have to manually break the tie when the products gone. it's a waste of time most of the time, imo.) The exception to this is if you scan an item and its status is PLU pending. This stuff (like the Halloween endcaps) will be going clearance in a couple of days, and it's best to move it into the seasonal area. Break your sf tie and retie the product into the seasonal area where you put it.

It sucks to do spl for an entire area and have tons of clearance and backstock. A lot of etls, especially old school, jump into flex mode. I was a hardcore "FLEXIE" when i started, not realizing the underlying damage i was doing to the processes that keep the store full and impactful. don't be a flexie.

You *do* realize that a job description is not the same as core roles, which is an internal company document meant only for the team members currently employed by Target, right?

Since there is no rule that forbids a TM from telling people what their job entails at work (i.e. their job description), that is fine. However, this OP was asking for specific copies of the core roles, which is a no no. Two different things.
The core roles is not available during the job hiring process. The website states: Target Stores
Help all guests promptly and efficiently
Keep store clean, well-stocked and clutter-free
Be a respectful, safe Target team member.

The rest of the role is described only during the new videos that are shown during the hiring process and what the new tm discussing with the etls during the hiring process. They do not receive core roles until their first shift, after they are 100% complete with the hiring process. As many a poster stated above, posting these documents online will either get you fired or at least a very large headache.

And, let's not beat around the bush here, anyone who was ever actually a TL would be well aware of this, especially since we had to take that stupid Protecting Target Information training over and over again. Anything on Workbench--or any company document, for that matter--is confidential unless it explicitly states that it is not. To recall the example in the quiz, we can't even share recipes that are posted in "rah rah Archer Farms yay!" articles that are posted on Workbench or break room table talkers.

Never flex. Flex is the only four letter word that should never be uttered in TGT. If you're 100% on your location accuracy and setting everything to POG, mysupport what aisles/endcaps set light. Check the instocks report under the store performance tab to see the areas with suspected instock problems that will need your attention. This will save a TON of challenge/repush/backstock/instocks double work. No one should be faking endcaps, and they shouldn't tie things to weird physical sections in order to fake them.

Backstock what doesn't fit into the home location or in no longer on pog. 80% of the time, is it discontinued product that will come back out in the price change workload. If you flex this stuff out, pricing will not be able to find it and it will affect their score (you can use sf tie app, but you have to manually break the tie when the products gone. it's a waste of time most of the time, imo.) The exception to this is if you scan an item and its status is PLU pending. This stuff (like the Halloween endcaps) will be going clearance in a couple of days, and it's best to move it into the seasonal area. Break your sf tie and retie the product into the seasonal area where you put it.

It sucks to do spl for an entire area and have tons of clearance and backstock. A lot of etls, especially old school, jump into flex mode. I was a hardcore "FLEXIE" when i started, not realizing the underlying damage i was doing to the processes that keep the store full and impactful. don't be a flexie.

Note--this is the Plano team's philosophy, and is correct. Do not be surprised if, when you attempt to implement this (clearly superior) approach, you get a whole lot of push-back from upper management/the logistics teams. They do not understand how much better things will run this way, and instead insist on a "keep your crap out my backroom!" philosophy. They don't care how hard it will be for you to set new planograms when there's a ton of stuff flexed onto the old one; they don't care how hard it will be for the pricing team to find the merchandise; they don't care that the only way the company will ever realize they're sending too much crap is if we stop bending over backwards to fit as much of it on the floor as we can in order to minimize A-markdowns; etc. etc.

Last edited:
"You *do* realize that a job description is not the same as core roles, which is an internal company document meant only for the team members currently employed by Target, right?"

Uh wrong. Core roles is simply a job description, formatted nicer on a page than typical job descriptions.

Yes, it is SO confidential that the cores roles for a TM are more specific than the brief summary on the website. "Fill end caps" is on the core roles. Yea, that is super secret. I don't know what Target would do if that part of the secret core roles got out!

"To recall the example in the quiz, we can't even share recipes that are posted in "rah rah Archer Farms yay!" articles that are posted on Workbench or break room table talkers."

This is because Target assumes TMs are too stupid to realize what actually would be damiging if it got out and what wouldn't. Perfect example - TMs here who think core roles that say "Fill end caps, zone aisles, work stray, etc" would be a big secret.

Since most TMs don't have good enough judgement to know which is which, they simply tell TMs to keep their mouth shut about everything.

You don't get to decide what's confidential. Nobody here (except the imaginary posts you seem to have read, but the rest of us can't see) has said that core roles need to be confidential. But Target has, and so they are. That's really the end of the analysis.

You don't get to decide what's confidential. Nobody here (except the imaginary posts you seem to have read, but the rest of us can't see) has said that core roles need to be confidential. But Target has, and so they are. That's really the end of the analysis.

All I am saying is that something that is *publc knowledge* can not be confidential. This is the same as me writing the color of my house on a sheet of paper, putting it in a safe, and saying it is confidential. You can call it confidential all you want, but the fact is it really isn't except in the mind of someone who is completely detached from reality.

The fact is, every single competitor in the retail business has the *exact same* positions Target has. Everyone already knows what a cashier does, everyone knows what a flow (stocker) does, everyone knows what a sales floor TM does. That's exactly what the core roles are - a written description of what these jobs do, and what everyone already knows they do.

Hell, if they don't know what a cashier or any other TM does, they can go to a Target store and stand around watching. Eventually they'll figure it out.

The fact is, you can call something "confidential" all you want, but if whatever is "confidential" is in plain sight, OR something everyone already knows because it's common knowledge to anyone with a clue, then it isn't actually confidential.

I am just pointing out the hillarity of calling something that is patently obvious "confidential", and refusing to answer a baisc question of the OP.

This is almost as hillarious as someone making an OP asking "What color is the Target bullseye?" and someone responding "The answer is on workbench so I can't tell you. Confidential"

For fu** sake people, the OP is just asking to be told what those two jobs entail and is probably new to retail. It's not like he asked you to post a copy/paste of the sales data from workbench. Get a grip on reality. You don't work for the CIA.

To the OP - I have a copy of the sales floor TL core roles. They are from 2011 before I left the company, but PM me and I will send a scan to you. I know it's not exactly the position you asked about, but all the TL core roles are almost identical. Obviously other people are detached from reality. Not the freaking end of the world.

Last edited:
If spot deems it confidential (& don't doubt they would), they'll come after this forum for the hell of it.
Don't forget what Scram went through yrs back. We've tried to err on the side of caution for the forum's sake.
If you want to argue it into the ground (something you seem to regularly enjoy), that's your perogative.
You don't work for spot any more so it's no skin off your back but if all you wanna do is pick fights, maybe it's time you reevaluate your free time.

And, for what it's worth, this thread was over 3 and a half months old when you decided to come in and start making trouble. The OP has presumably already figured out what she needed to know, based on the fact that she has never posted again.

And, for what it's worth, this thread was over 3 and a half months old when you decided to come in and start making trouble. The OP has presumably already figured out what she needed to know, based on the fact that she has never posted again.

That is correct.

If spot deems it confidential (& don't doubt they would), they'll come after this forum for the hell of it.
Don't forget what Scram went through yrs back. We've tried to err on the side of caution for the forum's sake.
If you want to argue it into the ground (something you seem to regularly enjoy), that's your perogative.
You don't work for spot any more so it's no skin off your back but if all you wanna do is pick fights, maybe it's time you reevaluate your free time.

I'm not the one that picked fights. The dude asked for some freaking help and the Target police basically accused him of asking to send nuclear weapons plans to Russia.

I think it's pretty sad with all these posts no one (except me) was willing to help him.

The very first response (coincidentally mine) told her where to find the information.

But ya know what? I'm gonna give you a pass for your behavior. I saw on another thread that you worked for Target in "the early 80s." Even making the assumptions that make you as young as possible ("early 80s"=1984, and you had just turned 16 that year), that means you turn/turned 44 this year, and you spend your days driving around to retail stores talking to teenagers about how to sell Playstations. Yeah, I can see how you'd be depressed and cranky all the time. I certainly would be. So, no hard feelings. Continue venting, I'm sure you need to.

Last edited:
The very first response (coincidentally mine) told her where to find the information.

But ya know what? I'm gonna give you a pass for your behavior. I saw on another thread that you worked for Target in "the early 80s." Even making the assumptions that make you as young as possible ("early 80s"=1984, and you had just turned 16 that year), that means you turn/turned 44 this year, and you spend your days driving around to retail stores talking to teenagers about how to sell Playstations. Yeah, I can see how you'd be depressed and cranky all the time. I certainly would be. So, no hard feelings. Continue venting, I'm sure you need to.

All I can say is I make good money and have good benefits. Much better than when I was a TL. FYI - only about 10% of our time is spent at retail stores. We go to industry conventions, college campuses, internal marketing meetings/planning sessions, and lots more. Other than that, I am either working from home or the office. Would I ever go back to working in a big box for 40 hours a week? Hell no.

POG team huh? Must be fun spending your days putting shelves and peg hooks up. At least I enjoy my job.

Last edited:
I don't work at Target any more. Pursuing a graduate degree.

(Yes, BTW, plano was the most enjoyable workcenter in the building).

Sounds like it must be pretty lonely if all you can do is come to a forum so you can tell us what all we're missing, what it was like when YOU were a TL, how great you're doing at sony, yadda yadda yadda.
With such good money as you're making, maybe you could buy a life.

Sounds like it must be pretty lonely if all you can do is come to a forum so you can tell us what all we're missing, what it was like when YOU were a TL, how great you're doing at sony, yadda yadda yadda.
With such good money as you're making, maybe you could buy a life.

I like this forum for two reasons:

1. I spent a long time at Target, and I like to hear what is going on with the company.

2. My job still requires that I am involved with Target, among several other retailers. Therefore, keeping informed also helps me do my job better.

I'm sorry if some people don't always agree with my views, but it took a long time for them to form. I used to be a "true believer".... there was a time when I thought Target could do no wrong. I don't think Target is evil. I think there is a lot of good at Target. Hell, I wouldn't have my current job if it weren't for Target in a way. At the same time, sometimes abuse needs to be called abuse. If target is screwing TMs, I see no reason not to call it for what it is. There have been times on this forum when I took the side of ETLs/corporate, and there have been times when I was totally against them.

The problem seems to be that some TMs are either on one side or the other, with no middle ground. Because I'm not 100% against or for everything Target does, it seems that the people who are always on one "side" sometimes hate what I have to say and sometimes love what I have to say.

As far as "telling you what you are missing" - all I can say is stop projecting. The only time I bring my job up are 1. When other people bring it up first or 2. When it is directly related to a thread. You make it sound like I am starting OP's saying "Oh hey look at me!". Sorry, that isn't happening. There is nothing wrong with talking about my job, and I have noticed many others on this forum talk about theirs once they leave.

How do I know what to do with d-code items once I've tied in the new POG? The clearance goes to a back endcap, but what about d-code? Do I scan it to first see if it has a home location? If it doesn't, then it's backstock, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back