Archived Price adjustments for TMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just had someone in my store get reported for changing a price for a TM. It was only $5, but please don’t do it, it makes both people look bad

Last time I checked, the policy was in the handbook. I haven't looked at the handbook in years, so it may have changed. You cannot do price changes for TMs whether or not that TM is off the clock.

Last time I checked, the policy was in the handbook. I haven't looked at the handbook in years, so it may have changed. You cannot do price changes for TMs whether or not that TM is off the clock.
So you're telling us that if the product is signed incorrectly, we have to suck it up. But if a non- employee buys that exact same item, they can bitch about it and get the signed price? And again, I'm talking about a situation where the plain white sign strip says something lower than the MyDevice or the register scans.

Yes, I'm hung up on this one. Because its bullshit. And possibly illegal.

So you're telling us that if the product is signed incorrectly, we have to suck it up. But if a non- employee buys that exact same item, they can bitch about it and get the signed price? And again, I'm talking about a situation where the plain white sign strip says something lower than the MyDevice or the register scans.

As an employee of the company, how does AP know you aren't aware that it is the incorrect price and you're just taking advantage of the mistake. I assume there is a difference between being a guest and an employee with regards to legality.

Last edited:
It is assumed that you know how signs, labels, and tags work, and therefore, you have a responsibility to report errors, not take advantage of them

But, again, what if the error is on the item, not the signage? What if the shelf label printed as part of the shelf label strip (that matches the item) has a different price than the item? Are TMs supposed to be psychic and know that the problem is with the shelf label that they should go and fix and not that someone missed coding a price change? Or whether the ad sign that matches the item and matches the current date is wrong or if someone missed coding a price change?

Yeah, TMs should make sure the item matches and the sign isn't expired and not take advantage of items in the wrong place or expired ad signs, but there are legitimate errors that no TM would have any way to know are errors and they shouldn't be punished for that.

But..again...

Which is the correct price?

If the price is supposed to be lower than it rang up in the system because THE SYSTEM HAS THE WRONG PRICE and you force anyone to pay the printed price,how is that the right thing to do, no matter who is asking?

This isn't a theoretical--I don't work many hours and yet I've had price challenges where there were ad signs with the correct DPCI and correct dates, but the system wasn't registering the sale price (that was also printed in the flier, etc.).

When it comes to printed shelf labels, where there often are no dates, again, which is the correct price? Did the price go up and signing miss changing out the labels or did the price & signage recently change but the item's price was not changed?

I think it’s for consumer protection reasons

I am a new GSTL but have worked for Target before. I never did a price override if it was a team member that was using their discount. As a GSTL, I will make it clear that it is not to be done. It's not to be mean or not wanting to do things for the team; it's to protect the TM doing the purchase and the cashier. It's a huge red flag to AP. As TMs, we are aware to match up DCPI's and barcodes. Even when there was a period of time when I didn't work for Target, each time I shopped there, I made sure to double check the shelf label. That's just me though and how I will want my front end to think of it. People get fired due to internal theft in retailers every day. I don't want anyone on my team getting fired over a price override or two.

I think there are two different circumstances being discussed in this thread.

TMs should 100% be allowed to price match, to target.com or other verifiable retailers.

TMs are not allowed to challenge in store pricing, wrong ad sign placement or clearance prices.

If you allow team members to take advantage of pricing errors what's to stop someone from mis signing an item to their benefit and playing dumb?
Obviously the person purposely mis-signing and then taking advantage of it is different than a team member taking reasonable care to match the item- the tags have dcpi and not upc and many non target specific items only gave upc so if the size and description matches and there is not expiration date on the sign that is reasonable. I have started taking pictures for every discrepancy I find while grocery shopping and there usually is 0-3 with 1 being the average if I am shopping for $60+ in groceries. I don't care if it triggers AP because I feel like I could 100% defend my 40 cents to $3.00 price corrections that I ask for and hope it does trigger a correction in the incorrectly signed price. If the price is not adjusted to the tagged price, I guess I would just buy it and then return it and since returned food is tossed so be it. I try to check prices as things are rung but more typically take 2-3 minutes to double check the receipt. For anything over 20 cents that I did not take a picture of (just started doing this recently), I will run back and double check the sign. If I was wrong, then it gets returned if I think it is more than I wanted to pay for that item. If it is still reasonable and my mistake, I keep it, if Target's mistake I ask GS to fix a mistake - wrong price.

Wow, I had some lady at my last cashier shift trying to buy a battery powered tooth brush for $5... it was $29.99.

I was having a rough day already because people seriously kept trying to fight me over stuff like that and I just said "I'm sorry, I can't do that, I can get a manager for you though, he will be able to help you." and I turned my blinker on. It was so busy that day, my GSTL was stuck at Guest Services because the line was consistently 5+ people. Blinkers were going ignored, and I had ANOTHER lady trying to price challenge something, and then another lady trying to scan a "AS IS" item but the label had the tiniest ink smudge on it so it wouldn't scan, and I tried the No barcode with permission and it was asking for a DPCI and I'm like "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Anyways, tooth brush lady, I wish we enforced the wrong item location price more. Usually, I will never change it myself, I'll get my GSTL to do it if it's more than $5. My ETL-HR came out and helped me with my three issues all at once at SCO and she just granted this lady a $30 tooth brush for $4. WHAT THE FUCK. I BET THIS LADY FEELS SO SMART LIKE SHE CONNED THE SYSTEM, NO BITCH, YOU JUST GOT LUCKY BECAUSE IT WAS BUSY AND YOU WERE CAUSING TROUBLE.

The other lady was much nicer, so, go to hell. I wish price adjustments like that were enforced more, less people should be getting away with that, less people should be able to get away with consistently bullying the cashier until they get the stupid shelf price that they know is 100% wrong but ya know, customer is always right!!!!-- I kept my back straight and I said "I can't do that." at least twice before I offered to just get a GSTL or LOD or whoever came along... it was my ETL-HR... who decided to grant it without really saying anything or no 2nd thoughts or anything.

Anyways, more on topic, price challenging as a TM is extremely tricky. I had a TM trying to tell me dog food was buy one get one 25% off but "it wasn't ringing up like that" and she's a cashier so I'm kind of like "You're joking, right?" and she was dead serious. Nothing in the ad-book, guy back in petfood was like "oh yeah there's an expired AD sign I'll take it down." and I'm trying to remain nice and I'm like "heh... I'm sorry... but you know I still can't do that, I'm sorry there was still a sign there, but it was an expired ad." and she wanted to speak to the GSTL.. who gave it to her.

Who knows, maybe I was in the wrong. I've denied price changes for expired ads before with my GSTL's support, but oh well. I feel kind of sour towards this cashier at the moment, she dogged me.. no pun intended. She literally worked a shift that day three hours later at guest services and I'm sitting here just shaking my head.

I would have done the same thing. Any time a TM comes through my line and price challenges I immediately lose respect for them. Like you know how fucking annoying it is and you decide to be part of the problem? Fuck off and shop somewhere else if you don’t like our prices

Obviously the person purposely mis-signing and then taking advantage of it is different than a team member taking reasonable care to match the item- the tags have dcpi and not upc and many non target specific items only gave upc so if the size and description matches and there is not expiration date on the sign that is reasonable. I have started taking pictures for every discrepancy I find while grocery shopping and there usually is 0-3 with 1 being the average if I am shopping for $60+ in groceries. I don't care if it triggers AP because I feel like I could 100% defend my 40 cents to $3.00 price corrections that I ask for and hope it does trigger a correction in the incorrectly signed price. If the price is not adjusted to the tagged price, I guess I would just buy it and then return it and since returned food is tossed so be it. I try to check prices as things are rung but more typically take 2-3 minutes to double check the receipt. For anything over 20 cents that I did not take a picture of (just started doing this recently), I will run back and double check the sign. If I was wrong, then it gets returned if I think it is more than I wanted to pay for that item. If it is still reasonable and my mistake, I keep it, if Target's mistake I ask GS to fix a mistake - wrong price.
So you spend time taking pics of ad signs in case they’re incorrect? In order to maybe save an extra dollar or two while taking advantage of your employer?
Wouldn’t it make more sense to just work an extra half hour or so to make up more than the difference in terms of cost and time (and not potentially alert your employer of shady stuff)?

So you spend time taking pics of ad signs in case they’re incorrect? In order to maybe save an extra dollar or two while taking advantage of your employer?
Wouldn’t it make more sense to just work an extra half hour or so to make up more than the difference in terms of cost and time (and not potentially alert your employer of shady stuff)?
I do this at every store I shop at. It isn't just a Target problem. But stores overcharge millions. I also pull down and change signs at Target that are outdated and incorrect. I also check to see if the customers were lying or reading the signs incorrectly when shopping and they ask me to change prices. I used to assume that 90% were reading signs incorrectly but I have come to the conclusion that more than 20% of the signs are incorrect, misleading, or mis signed.

I am scanning items to check for cartwheel anyway so taking a picture of the 1-4 items that come up on my phone as a different price actually only takes an extra 2 minutes anyway.

I go shopping at least twice a week. Even if it is a dollar a time that's $104 a year.

Okay,

Okay, so today I shopped at a different Target. And guess what. The EXACT same product that I've had repeated problems with at my store, two different shelf tags on the exact same shelf for the exact same item. Again, these are regular white tags, NOT sale signs. Howindafuh am I supposed to know AS A GUEST (meaning I'm not on the clock and don't have access to a MyDevice) which one is right until it scans at the register???? And why AS A GUEST am I not entitled to an adjustment if it rings at the higher price?

Okay,

Okay, so today I shopped at a different Target. And guess what. The EXACT same product that I've had repeated problems with at my store, two different shelf tags on the exact same shelf for the exact same item. Again, these are regular white tags, NOT sale signs. Howindafuh am I supposed to know AS A GUEST (meaning I'm not on the clock and don't have access to a MyDevice) which one is right until it scans at the register???? And why AS A GUEST am I not entitled to an adjustment if it rings at the higher price?
You know how to look at the date on the sign/sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back