Archived Price Match PLUS Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a Roku stick for Christmas that came from Target, but wanted to exchange it for a Roku 3 with the gift receipt. Everyone else in town had the Roku 3 for $77 (Frys, Walmart, Best Buy) but for some reason Target was selling it for $89.

I looked at the terms of the price match policy and noticed that is says no team member discount on online price matches, but did not mention local competitor price matching. Sure enough Target matched the $77 price and then took 10% off, bringing the price down below $70.

Is a team member discount always allowed on top of a local price match, and is this enforced the same way everywhere? It seems like an amazing deal for video games and electronics, but almost too good to be true.

Anyone else have the same (or a different) experience with getting a team member discount on top of a price match?

Print Ad, or Target.com pricematch can be combined with the discount.

No one had it advertised... I just printed the page showing best buy's price and store availability from their website.

I have seen some sales, particularly from Fry's, that have to be at or below cost even without any additional discount. Target giving an additional 10% off of those prices without exclusion has to be one of the best (and most expensive) benefits offered to team members.

I doubt the prices are anywhere near cost. Markup on most items is quite high.

But, no, without an actual printed flier from the store in question they shouldn't have allowed you to use your discount.

That's clearly laid out in the pricematching policy, though I wouldn't be surprised if most people at the average Target's service desk are unaware of that.

Maybe I'm crazy but I seem to remember spot not price matching target.com prices before. Has something changed? I haven't even tried it in so long.

Maybe I'm crazy but I seem to remember spot not price matching target.com prices before. Has something changed? I haven't even tried it in so long.

It used to be that you could only price match with a paper ad. We could price match with competitors but not with our own website.

I'm not sure when it changed, but I can say that since I started working in April of 2013 we've pricematched target.com.

What’s the price-matching policy for Target stores?
We'll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at Target or CityTarget stores, then find the identical item for less in the following week's Target Weekly Ad or within 7 days at Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com or in a competitor's local printed ad. Price match may be requested prior to your purchase. Simply bring in proof of the current lower price and your original receipt. We'll match the price at Guest Services. Please see our shop with confidence promise for additional details.

What are the Price Match Guarantee exclusions?
Clearance prices are not eligible. Target stores don't price match other Target stores, including Target Canada and CityTarget stores. We don't match prices that require a paid membership/loyalty fee. For details, please see our Price Match Guarantee exclusions.

Can a team member discount be used when price matching an item?
A team member discount cannot be used when matching to an online competitor price. Team members can use their discount when price matching a competitor's print ad or Target.com pricing only.

So they shouldn't match a printed item description from a competitor for anyone, even though it shows local competitor's price and availability? That seems better than a print ad to me, but who knows.

In a metro area there is probably enough competition that the local store ads are just as good as any online competitor anyway, so the discount on top is better than any other retailer I know of.

I know for a fact that Best Buy's employee discount used to be the lower of either actual cost plus 5% or the advertised price with no additional discount. So Target team members can get those items cheaper than even the competitor's employees.

Depends on the item. Some things like game consoles are priced just barely above cost. In which case the spot discount might be better.

One way for a team member to price match target.com & use their discount avoiding the hassle is to do in store pickup. I wish spot would add cartwheel to online ordering.

There is cartwheel available for some items online...they were doing a test with it, but I am not sure if that is over or if it still works with a few select items. I doubt they will ever to to that, because the prices online may be cheaper than in store, and they aren't going to let people stack all of those discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back