Archived Printed Register Coupons

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoWork

Probably a Sociopath
I went up to target today to buy my weekly supplies. I was given many coupons at check out. I paid with my usual credit card. I noticed the coupons were for products I've bought before or related to items I've bought before.

Is target storing my card number or an identifier somewhere? It has to be. Anyone have any details on the coupon system?

Yes. They store some type of consumer identifier and use it to print out coupons tailored to you. So, instead of getting random coupons for things you'd never buy, they can hopefully print off something that's relevant to you and will bring you back in.

Thanks for that. It's never been explained to me, just an assumption I've had. Given target's data breach, I'm not sure I trust their identifiers based on card numbers. Maybe I'm missing something.

Many grocery stores also use the Catalina Marketing system to dispense coupons to guests customers.

Anyone know how to fix a Catalina printer that prints blank coupons? The ink cartridge isn't empty, but the printer just spits out blank paper.

Thanks for that. It's never been explained to me, just an assumption I've had. Given target's data breach, I'm not sure I trust their identifiers based on card numbers. Maybe I'm missing something.

No problem! I'm not sure whether they use your card number AS your identifier, or just use it to link your purchase TO a separate identifier they use.... Personally I find them super annoying. My cashiers can't start their next transaction until the coupon printer is finished printing for their current guest, and I don't like seeing a slower checkout because the (coupon) printers seem to be on their own sweet time.

it would have to be based on the number I'd think. It may encrypt or create a hash based on the number, but the number would have to be used. Or perhaps a subset of the number, like the first 7 digits. Time to google!

it would have to be based on the number I'd think. It may encrypt or create a hash based on the number, but the number would have to be used. Or perhaps a subset of the number, like the first 7 digits. Time to google!

Let us know what you find!

I think it's all based of Card Holder Name (From Credit/Debit card Swiped), Billing Zip Code (from Transaction Data) & Date of Birth (Alcohol/Pharmacy Purchase) and of course, a store number probably helps tremendously. I don't think Card Numbers have anything to do with it, because even with a replacement card & new number, you still get coupons, very relevant.

I know this though, card numbers have always been saved in the system. That's how those Credit Card Lookup's work, at GS.

I think it's all based of Card Holder Name (From Credit/Debit card Swiped), Billing Zip Code (from Transaction Data) & Date of Birth (Alcohol/Pharmacy Purchase) and of course, a store number probably helps tremendously. I don't think Card Numbers have anything to do with it, because even with a replacement card & new number, you still get coupons, very relevant.

I know this though, card numbers have always been saved in the system. That's how those Credit Card Lookup's work, at GS.

So theoretically, if I use a different card, I should get similar coupons?

How does that work with a chip & pin card? Doesn't the chip generate a new number for each transaction?

Many grocery stores also use the Catalina Marketing system to dispense coupons to guests customers.

Anyone know how to fix a Catalina printer that prints blank coupons? The ink cartridge isn't empty, but the printer just spits out blank paper.

Press and hold the power button for 10-15 secs until it restarts.

It is tracking what you buy and how often you buy it. For example, if you buy deodorant, I found about 2 1/2 months you buy it, you will get a coupon for another one pop in.

It's super easy to tell which coupons are based on this purchase and which ones are based on previous purchases just by when the coupons print out. If they print out as the cashier is scanning, it's based on your current items. If it prints out after you swipe your card, then it's based on your previous purchases.

I, too, want to know why in the world I can never get those Starbucks coupons everyone else gets.

According to the rate I get these coupons, my cat must have non-stop diarrhea & halitosis runs rampant in my family.
But yeh, I'd like one of those Starbucks coupons....:(

The best Catalina coupon I got was a BOGO for cat food. Got two big bags for $5 a piece :D

The ones that print before you pay, tend to relate to your current purchase the ones after you slide your card relate to your purchase history. That's just what I've noticed personally for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back