Archived Process/Expectation of being a back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me the process/expectation of being a back up?

Ok, so yeah I been there about three weeks, and havent went up for back up cashier yet. I know I'm like horrible. LOL (And I'm softlines, kind of expected from me!)
But I'm scared of looking like an idiot-no idea what I'm doing, and being more of a hinder than a help.

Plus someone normally always pounces on it on walkie.

One time I decided after they asked for help twice and no one responded..I was like ..I can do this . So me and someone else both walkie were coming-at the exact same time
then I wasnt sure what to do.

So I went up and asked if the cashiers still needed help and they said they were fine. UGH!

Do I just jump on a lane next to them, and take some customers? - Then resume softlines. Ask them if they need help? Examine to see how many customers if there is more than two per line?!
Help!

Exactly what it sounds like.

Come up, and look. Is the GSTL, GSA, or LOD directing traffic? Ask them where they want you. If there's nobody directing traffic, just look for the available lane near a long line!

If you respond & see lots of guests, the best thing is to go to an empty checklane next to a long line (asking a few guests to come with you), turn on your light & start ringing folks up. Usually the GSTL/GSA will come up & switch off your light when the crowd dwindles so they can direct traffic back to the cashiers' lanes & get you back to the floor.
If your light has been switched off & people get in your line, you can tell them that sorry, your lane is being closed.

If you respond & see lots of guests, the best thing is to go to an empty checklane next to a long line (asking a few guests to come with you), turn on your light & start ringing folks up. Usually the GSTL/GSA will come up & switch off your light when the crowd dwindles so they can direct traffic back to the cashiers' lanes & get you back to the floor.
If your light has been switched off & people get in your line, you can tell them that sorry, your lane is being closed.

Take'em any way! No is a bad thing on guest survey.

Thanks guys my goal is to do try my first back up saturday. So scared. No idea why! :) I feel like everyone looks at me like "Oh boy heres the noob!" LOL :)

Beware of scammers as they will ALWAYS look for noobs to pull a fast one on: "Oh, they always just scan the coupons", "The last time they did an override", "But the sticker has THIS price!" (which doesn't match the DPCI).
Whenever you're not sure, put your blinker on for help. Use the "I'm kinda new so I have to get approval".

you should talk to your TL or a GSTL and let them know you're nervous so they can help you! Whenever i know that someone is backing up for the first couple of times i try and hang around to help them if they need it.

I can't imagine a GSA/GSTL who doesn't appreciate a prompt response for back up. We're more than willing to help you without judgment. But instead of waiting for a call for back up, ask for a half hour or hour on the checklane when it's not really busy. Your TL and the GSTL will appreciate the fact that you are a little nervous and that you are willing to learn while there's not a mob of people who are already a little irritated at seeing the long lines.

Welcome to Target.

Just curious...If you have been at your store for just 3 weeks, have you first off, completed your cashier training? If not, you cannot get on the lanes.

If your store is setup with staggered lanes. You should jump on the lanes closest to the salesfloor while the reg. cashiers are on the lanes closest to the doors. Makes getting on/off the lanes easier. If they are straight row lanes, then just grab any open lane. Or just ask the GSTL which lane is best. Help them until the rush is noticeably gone or the GSA/GSTL releases you.

There will be times where you might be the only one on the floor or the zone is destroyed...and even if they call for backup multiple times, you can not go up.

I always ask over the walkie which lane to go to if the GSTL did not call it out ahead of time. This prevents me from leading the guest to a register that may not be operational. In addition, this allows the GSTL to plan accordingly, they may ask you to take a lane that a regular cashier will be returning to in just a few minutes, making the transition potentially seamless. One final benefit is that the LOD and TLOD will know where to find you if they need you right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back