Archived Promotion | Impatient or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wanting to get promoted to SR. TL or ETL even however i feel like I'm stuck where I am at. They just recently promoted sr tls but I was not ready at the time those positions were open. Now, i get feedback stating I'm doing a great job and I can do the job from the ETLs and STL however I'm frustrated because I know realistically i won't be able to get to where i want to be for a long time. They just promoted two Sr. Tls not even that long ago so unless someone quits which i highly doubt will be happening Im frustrated knowing ill be stuck where i am at for most likely another year minimum. What also frustrates me is that my store has recently promoted a couple of Team leads straight to ETL without a degree. So i feel like Im being told I'm there, I'm doing great but i feel like I'm going to get stuck in a position for a long time. I could at least be put on bench for a position. Should I just be patient, is there anything i could do to help myself? thanks or am i just thinking about it the wrong way. Thanks

Have you gotten any feedback from above your STL? Get noticed when your DTL, GVP, etc. are visiting. If your STL's bosses like you, they'll get you promoted.

Also, have you considered other stores? If your store doesn't have a place for you, another store might.

Thats what I thought, maybe get in another store but I haven't been approached about that. My ETL already thinks I'm there at least thats the feedback i get. Yes, my DTL knows who I am, we speak when they come into the building been recognized by my dtl plenty of times. My STL and I also get along quite well. Hopefully something happens soon, i know 4th quarter just wrapped up (xmas) so maybe they will start address that here soon. But my concern is that everyones 18 months is almost up here and I'm going to be at the mercy of the next crew of ETLs and the STL

Thats what I thought, maybe get in another store but I haven't been approached about that. My ETL already thinks I'm there at least thats the feedback i get. Yes, my DTL knows who I am, we speak when they come into the building been recognized by my dtl plenty of times. My STL and I also get along quite well. Hopefully something happens soon, i know 4th quarter just wrapped up (xmas) so maybe they will start address that here soon. But my concern is that everyones 18 months is almost up here and I'm going to be at the mercy of the next crew of ETLs and the STL

I felt like you do now before some Sr positions opened up at my store (and the positions opened up a few months after someone was promoted).
If you don't think it'll happen for you at your store, see what there is for you at other stores in the area.
I hate to be a downer but it's hard to believe what anyone says at Target...everyone has their own agenda and communication often isn't great. Take some time and consider what's really best for you and your career.

Keep asking for feedback. Talk to your STL about timelines, see if they can even give you that. What position are you now?

Maybe check on Target.com for open TL positions in your area and apply for them. It can't hurt right.

Also, this may seem stupid. But how do you dress for work? If you want to be a TL, then you need to dress like an ETL.

Hope that helps!

Maybe check on Target.com for open TL positions in your area and apply for them. It can't hurt right.

Careful with this. My district would frown upon this. We had on tm on the bench, and an STL from another store approached her casually to inquire if she would be interested in doing the final interview for a TL job at her store. Wind of that got back to our store, and her etl told her is she tried to go outside of the process again, they would take her off the bench. It created some bad blood that could have cost that tm her future promotion.

It may be okay in some districts, but all districts are not the same.

Careful with this. My district would frown upon this. We had on tm on the bench, and an STL from another store approached her casually to inquire if she would be interested in doing the final interview for a TL job at her store. Wind of that got back to our store, and her etl told her is she tried to go outside of the process again, they would take her off the bench. It created some bad blood that could have cost that tm her future promotion.

It may be okay in some districts, but all districts are not the same.

I don't doubt that you are speaking the truth here, but that really sucks. TL opportunities are scarce, and being expected to "stay loyal" to a store that is basically giving you TL responsibilities but no pay vs. a store that will hire you as a TL is ridiculous.

Especially since loyalty to a company makes sense, much moreso than to a store.

I don't doubt that you are speaking the truth here, but that really sucks. TL opportunities are scarce, and being expected to "stay loyal" to a store that is basically giving you TL responsibilities but no pay vs. a store that will hire you as a TL is ridiculous.
It wasn't that she was staying loyal to the store, it was about staying loyal to the process. The district already has an idea on who they want to move where when TL portions become available in stores. So if a TM and STL try to go around this, it can create bad blood with the DTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back