Archived Promotions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please tell me how promotions work at Target?

I.E. -- Do you have to have a lot of cross-trained experience?

What are some of the things they look for in a person, before promoting them?

And where could I get promoted to? Does it depend on which departments you are currently working in or just over-all experience?

Any help would be helpful! Thanks!

learn your workcenter first. be proactive & ask alot of questions. spot likes tm's who work hard & seek knowledge/understanding. search our threads for more info.

It's all different by store and district. I personally look at someones leadership abilities when looking to promote them. I can "teach" you how to do X,Y,Z but can only "help" you in your leadership. If you can't be a leader.... Promotions will be a struggle. Most leadership qualities can't be taught, some can and other can be refined. But as Hardlinesmaster said, seek out information, if you show interest then you'll be on the right track!

I will take what has been taught to me and be the best TM that I can be. You have to shine at being the best! Do better at the things you've been taught and if a TM doesn't do something...do it and do it 10x's better than they would! It's all in my hands. Just don't let it go to your head. Thanks especially to, STLinMaking and Hardlinesmaster!

make yourself avaliable to them, ask to be trained in other work centers, give 110%, dont be afraid to try and lead people and keep others in check, GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS. ive done this and my ETL has made me a team captain on certain days

Please, search the word "promotion" on the forum. You'll find many results.

It's all politics. You could be the absolutely most productive, with the best workcenter, and have all green metrics and still be stuck in your role. Unless you know someone, or a higher-up (ETL,STL,BP) really likes you, you're staying put. (Sometimes they know a workcenter will crumble without you there, so they keep you put).. but really, ITS ALL POLITICS!!! If you're a TM, the best you could hope for is a TL (NOT WORTH IT).. TL's RARELY jump to ETL.. (Target rather high a new college grad with no work exp).. and ETL's RARELY jump to BP's, DTL's, STL's, ect.. Just think about how many ETL's leave the company (once they realized they're being baited with a dangling carrot in their face), and how many ETL's there are in comparison to STL's/BP's/DTL's that are trying to "advance." Most leave because they see the behind the scenes. Why do you think Target needs to keep recruting new ETL's from college?? If it was such an "AMAZING" role, you wouldn't have the amount of turnover you do.. People give ETL's crap all the time.. they don't make THAT much money.. $50-$60k/year isn't much for the 50-60hrs+ you put in a week, plus taking home all your work and checking emails at home, and stressing about crap you can't control. When you average out all the hours worked, an ETL really makes like $15-$17/hr.. which isn't much for what stresses you tollerate and the years it takes off your life. If you worked full-time elsewhere, and got a part time job over the weekends, you could easily make as much/more than an ETL. All i'm saying is... keep your options open and don't settle for anything. Corporations, no matter which, have no loyality to you or anybody else. All that matters is the bottom-line, spreadsheets, and making profits. You are a tool they use to ensure the survival of the company. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Didn't use to be this way, but its all about what you say, not what you do. Learn the Target "Lingo", be ULTRA cheerful, work into every conversation with an etl what you have accomplished that day, volunteer to lead the mid day zone, and tell your etl that you admire him/her and could they mentor you.

Its all a game that I've chosen not to play, but it could be worth your efforts if managing is what you want to do for a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back