Archived Pushing the truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many Pricing and Pog teams are helping to push the truck on a routine basis? I am not talking about helping out once in awhile, but helping out daily [on truck days] or multiple times a week.

What time do you come in during the mornings?

We used to help push back about a year ago. But we stopped helping push last June.

We tried it for a few months when we went from a 4am to a 6am store but they got so far behind that they stopped.

There are only two reasons that I know of that the POG team would be pushing the truck.

The flow team is so short that there is no other way in which case the ETLs had better be in there doing it too.
We had this happen at my old store, the store was golden but we were short bodies and hours.
Everybody was on deck for trucks and I do mean everybody.
Do you see ETLs helping with the unload?

The other other option is they have decided to get rid of the PTL.
In which case you'll be doing it for as long as it takes for your team to get hopelessly behind and they can performance the PTL out.

We don't help push the truck but we do smart huddles and 4x4s.. it was only ever supposed to be one or the other but they'll call the huddle in shoes.. 30 minutes later they'll let us go.. then after lunchtime they call the 4x4 and yell for pricing.. we are the only 2 people on the floor besides a lazy Softlines TL, a signing tm that never responds, and a couple instocks tms after say 11ish. For some reason plano is exempt... It gets so bad I turn off my walkie and cry faulty equipment just to get my work done.. lol

Pretty sure our pog team does infant basics every truck. About an hour I think. I wanna say they're scheduled that way too.

There are only two reasons that I know of that the POG team would be pushing the truck.

The flow team is so short that there is no other way in which case the ETLs had better be in there doing it too.
We had this happen at my old store, the store was golden but we were short bodies and hours.
Everybody was on deck for trucks and I do mean everybody.
Do you see ETLs helping with the unload?

The other other option is they have decided to get rid of the PTL.
In which case you'll be doing it for as long as it takes for your team to get hopelessly behind and they can performance the PTL out.

This is exactly what happened at my store. They wanted her gone. They had us start pushing the truck. Once she was gone.... Poof, no more truck pushing.

Now we have the stupid 4x4's. And they have made us almost a week behind.

I added up the hours. For just this past week, we spent nearly 30 hours doing 4x4's.

Take that times 8 weeks. 240 hours. Pretty much how far we are behind. But they want to say it's because we don't work with a sense of urgency.

Blow that sense of urgency out your ass.

I wouldn't be so upset if they made Everyone come.. especially flow and POG.. flow is a good 20+ people.. without them smart huddles take 30-60 minutes.. with flow it only takes 15.. But then they don't make POG come because "they have a heavy workload" and I'm sitting here like.... "yeah but it's not due until Saturday night.. my workload is due today and im not even close to finishing it, so call them over or I'm walking away"

This is exactly what happened at my store. They wanted her gone. They had us start pushing the truck. Once she was gone.... Poof, no more truck pushing.

Now we have the stupid 4x4's. And they have made us almost a week behind.

I added up the hours. For just this past week, we spent nearly 30 hours doing 4x4's.

Take that times 8 weeks. 240 hours. Pretty much how far we are behind. But they want to say it's because we don't work with a sense of urgency.

Blow that sense of urgency out your ass.

LOL...my ETL LOG said something similar about C&S push...routinely 500 pieces trucks with 4 people who have to label any full boxes, FIFO everything, take care of at least a cage of cardboard, and have to work right after the flow truck and if flow is behind they start late...sometimes their shifts are like 10:45-12:30 or 1 but if they are there til one they are entitled to another break so they take it so really not much of a difference. Oh just push faster you will get it done..mhmmm sure..

And then what happens when we get ALL the push done and they have to leave? The backstock sits there until someone decides its gotten out of hand and it needs backstocked

Ours will help out on heavy trucks, heavy in breakout 300+ kinds because else we just get so slowed down by all the repack. I don't think it would be an issue if we assigned team members aisles to do everyday so they can eventually memorize them and don't need to scan much at all.

Ours will help out on heavy trucks, heavy in breakout 300+ kinds because else we just get so slowed down by all the repack. I don't think it would be an issue if we assigned team members aisles to do everyday so they can eventually memorize them and don't need to scan much at all.

I don't understand what you are saying. Do you work flow? We scan for 2nd locations, which constantly change. It's great to be familiar, but I certainly would not want to push same aisles everyday. Am I misunderstanding you?

I don't understand what you are saying. Do you work flow? We scan for 2nd locations, which constantly change. It's great to be familiar, but I certainly would not want to push same aisles everyday. Am I misunderstanding you?
Repack boxes come mixed with many items, we sort those items into carts based on their aisle.

So while we do boxes on the floor in an aisle we also push that cart after, if you're unfamiliar with the area you end up wasting time either looking up and down the aisle to find the item location or you scan to find the location.

While soft lines and electronics work the same places all the time so they are quite familiar with dealing with unmarked items quickly, HBA, Pharma and Stationary suffers, especially when it comes to our new flow team members(which we always have, dat turn over).

Mostly HBA and Stationary end up slow in my store the same people usually start in the pharma aisles every time so they don't waste much time. Large amount of repack in those areas is the difference between finishing a 2700 piece truck in 5 hours or limping through it in 8 hours after we scraped a few team members to extend.

Last edited:
My store has dedicated TMs who only work on repacks their entire shift.
1 in HBA
1 in Domestics
3 in Softlines
And 1 doing the combos (Housewares/Pets/HIPA/Stationary/etc.)

The only time someone unfamiliar would push is if one of those areas was heavier than normal.

My store has dedicated TMs who only work on repacks their entire shift.
1 in HBA
1 in Domestics
3 in Softlines
And 1 doing the combos (Housewares/Pets/HIPA/Stationary/etc.)

The only time someone unfamiliar would push is if one of those areas was heavier than normal.

This is how it done at my store.

It works really well until someone has a day off and they come back to two days worth of repacks...

It works really well until someone has a day off and they come back to two days worth of repacks...
Or when the one for domestics takes an extended absence and the one for HBA moves pretty much at the same time. Which why I guess we switched the process to just making like 50 carts and going through the red box repacks super quickly so they can be pushed in a wave or w.e. Plus was sort of pushed on us by DTL. It works great when the repacks are small we pretty much finish large trucks with no need to extend anyone, when it works poorly we barely finish the L in 4 hours then people have to extend to finish up the rest usually just leaving seasonal for the sales team to smart huddle. Which is where the all hands on deck POG ends up pushing usually like toothpaste, pets or carts.

Last edited:
My store has an overnight flow process, so plano and pricing don't push the truck. However, when plano was overnight, they would help flow and backroom during the holidays when they had no plano workload.

My store has an overnight flow process, so plano and pricing don't push the truck. However, when plano was overnight, they would help flow and backroom during the holidays when they had no plano workload.

Yeah I have a 6am flow. We never help push the truck... We did once and it failed. Pog didn't show up though.. Planogram does help during holidays on flow and backroom when they have no workload too, because pricing shifts over to softlines and hardlines.. mostly softlines (we are way more guest oriented than POG, to say the least, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back