Archived QMOS vs Defect out

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmosqueen

Perishable Assistant Wizard
I'm a PA and know how to QMOS correct, for what items let me qmos, but lately I get a lot of items that have to be defected out and I do not know how to defect out. I take them to GS and they defect out for me ONE item at a time.
The other day I had 96 of these ...
0506027.jpg
to defect out and 140 of these...
0506025.jpg
These all expired in late May 2014 (about 5 weeks ago) and were STO'd in the dairy cooler, none were on the salesfloor.

GS had to defect these out ONE at a time, since there system doesn't let you put in the quantity, like qmos.

Can someone please tell me how to defect out using a PDA and portable printer so I can do it myself in the ambient room, thanks so much.

Last edited:
There's a web app called Defectives, inside it has a button that says Defect Out at Service Desk. You can use that and a portable printer with the white labels. It'll take you longer than GS though since on their register if they use K3 it'll store the reason you're defecting out so it'll take 1-2 button presses per item vs 3 or more on a web app which is slower than a register to begin with.

When I did it, I was told to do it in this order:
Defectives
Defecting at Reverse logistics
Location found (wherever it was)
And then I would scan, and usually have to override the donate with toss. It's a pain in the ass.

Nah, defecting stuff out yourself isn't complicated nor does it take a TON of time, but it is very tedious. Here's my process:

1. Trash can on one side of me, QMOS bin in front of me, printer to the other side.
2. Go into the Defectives App and select Defect out in Reverse Logistics. I've never defected out as GS except when AT GS, but RevLog is pretty streamlined and works just fine. It will ask you where you're defecting from, just like QMOS (SF, backroom, etc.). Select the correct one.
3. Grab defected item, scan, toss in trash.
4. There will be a middle screen you do have to select an option for; either "Override to Destroy" (system defaults to donate for a lot of items which most people don't donate) or "Continue". I select which ever one is applicable to the situation, and the label will print.
5. Wash, rinse, repeat. I toss the items in the trash as I go; leaving the labels to print in one long strip. At the end, I just rip them out of the printer and toss them in the trash along with the rest of the defectives. If my particular defectives were going anywhere but the trash can then I'd make sure the stickers got on the items, but since it's going in the trash, and after that the compactor, I don't bother.

I like to make sure I get a new PDA; they usually scan fast with very little lag. Like I said, if you're defecting out as RevLog, there's very little motion...scan, toss, touch the screen, repeat. It's just tedious.

Thanks for your process. For some reason we had cauliflower the other day that required defecting out and a few salads. Only some of the salads, not all of them. Four years in Produce and have never seen that before.

thanks everyone for your help this will save me time, since a lot of items now are dect out instead of qmos.

thanks doxie71 hope you are doing well at trader joes. I gotta get my new PA out of just caf pushing and into fifo, especially the salads and fruit spears he his still in that caf mod, since he was mostly a caf pusher for hardlines. The other new PA is doing a great job and our truck was only 12 pallets this past Saturday July 5th and we completed the entire truck Saturday around 12:30PM. of course the FDC only sent us 5 boxes of bananas.

We also have an opener and closer for dry grociers now. There are 4 people a day scheduled under "consumables salesfloor". So, I use the dry grocery person to help me push the freezer pulls, and anything else I need, aka some truck push that may be left over. Sometimes, there is even a mid person in dry groceries, this is all thanks to mytime, I sure hope it keeps it this way, other areas in hardlines may be hurting due to this, although electronics has an opener and closer everyday also.

That's how my store would be staffed if my STL would quit screwing around with the drivers in myTime and reallocating hours after the schedule generates.

I'm a grand mater at processing damages at the service desk. I line up all the product so that the barcode is visible for the scanner in 2 or 3 rows. *zap K8, K8, zap K8, K8. I go all the way through them. Then I grab the labels and slap'em on in the reverse order. Fastest way to process damages if you can't qmos. Buy back privileges are a joke. Half that stuff isn't even a Vendor Pickup. Anyway, my take.

Thanks for your process. For some reason we had cauliflower the other day that required defecting out and a few salads. Only some of the salads, not all of them. Four years in Produce and have never seen that before.
All the salads in the hard plastic, Taylor Farms, I believe, has to be done by the defect app instead of QMOS. Just got switched in past week, Very tedious.

And it want you to donate, instead of destroy. Thats an extra step to override.

Last edited:
I have often wondered why we can't QMOS all food? Why does some food have this 'vendor privilege' crap attached to it and then have to waste half an hour of our lives defecting stuff out one by one? :mad: If I have six or more items of pet food, Kleenex or whatever and that can be QMOS'D but six or more things of Annie's canned meals can't
I wanna know why?!?!​

JUST LET US QMOS ALL FOOD ITEMS! Or maybe at least put in a quantity for multiple items if they can't be qmos'd. Productivity would be so much higher!

On a similar note, has anyone noticed certain things scanned out in QMOS prompts for a quantity in eaches between 6 and 99? I get that message most often with baking goods like flour, frosting, etc. Anyone know the deal with that?? It's such a pain in the ass.

On a similar note, has anyone noticed certain things scanned out in QMOS prompts for a quantity in eaches between 6 and 99? I get that message most often with baking goods like flour, frosting, etc. Anyone know the deal with that?? It's such a pain in the ass.

From what I understand, it's an item that they would prefer you to defect out, but if you have a large quantity (i.e. whole case got damaged or lots of out-of-dates), it'll let you QMOS to make it quicker. The FreshPet stuff is the same way.

Now, between you and me, I wish ALL perishable Defectives would let you QMOS in large quantities. Would really help when I go on a date-finding spree and have to defect out a 3-tier full of Chobani...

Alot of our product just switched over to having to be defected out...which means for example on any chobani I find I now have to go up to guest service and process it all instead of in the ambient room or on the floor right as I am doing it.

I have only done defective a few times so I might have to get some training/relearn the process since everything we used to find could be QMOSed until this past week.

All you need is a hip printer. We have one that stays plugged in the ambient room and we use it for everything; defectives, monarching boxes, SIM, labels...

All you need is a hip printer. We have one that stays plugged in the ambient room and we use it for everything; defectives, monarching boxes, SIM, labels...

This is a good idea. I think we always have spare printers so I should just take one back there

I'm in market next week, and this thread is helpful. I hope I don't run into any of those items when I do the QMOS before closing.

Does anyone know why spot has decided to switch these items over to defect rather than the simple task of QMOS?
Items marked out for defect have to be rescanned by the receiver before they can go also so it is double the work load just to donate.
It seems they are shortening our hours but increasing the work loads.
Same issue with that new SUBT app. Less hours for backroom TMs so let's change the quick way to get an item for a guest from an easy shift7 from a CAF pull to an entirely different app function.
This co. is digging itself into a hole that is going to crumble around it

The OPs scenario is an example why I am glad license plates are gone.

I used to go through a whole book in cases like that..... Oh the horror.

I'm a PA and know how to QMOS correct, for what items let me qmos, but lately I get a lot of items that have to be defected out and I do not know how to defect out. I take them to GS and they defect out for me ONE item at a time.
The other day I had 96 of these ...
0506027.jpg
to defect out and 140 of these...
0506025.jpg
These all expired in late May 2014 (about 5 weeks ago) and were STO'd in the dairy cooler, none were on the salesfloor.

GS had to defect these out ONE at a time, since there system doesn't let you put in the quantity, like qmos.

Can someone please tell me how to defect out using a PDA and portable printer so I can do it myself in the ambient room, thanks so much.
Next time go to all apps second screen down youll see def. Click it press defect from rev. Log. Then select bulk, and it should let you defect all at once.

The Chobani switching from being QMOS-able to having to use Defectives made this a blast today...

X5Im0U8.jpg

The Chobani switching from being QMOS-able to having to use Defectives made this a blast today...

X5Im0U8.jpg
Yup. Sucks big time. And by that I also mean it's a big time sucker. I honestly think somebody screwed up and miscoded/incorrectly entered something to cause this recent influx of items needing to be defected out.

It absolutely is a time sucker. Something that would have taken me 5 minutes to do took almost 15. If you didn't have to scan each. freaking. cup. and could just enter in the total quantity like in QMOS it wouldn't be nearly as painful. And also if people would pay attention to the yogurt endcap and not ignore it like I keep telling them even though the second location coMES UP IN THE SDA........ Rage.

Does anyone know why spot has decided to switch these items over to defect rather than the simple task of QMOS?
Items marked out for defect have to be rescanned by the receiver before they can go also so it is double the work load just to donate.
It seems they are shortening our hours but increasing the work loads.
Same issue with that new SUBT app. Less hours for backroom TMs so let's change the quick way to get an item for a guest from an easy shift7 from a CAF pull to an entirely different app function.
This co. is digging itself into a hole that is going to crumble around it

Yes, shortened hours and increased workloads is what appears in the dictionary under "Retail Job" - but, to be fair, it is my understanding that the difference between QMOS and Defect is the chargeback rights. Some companies, like our food donation or Salvage donation (for us, that is Goodwill) pay money for the rights to Target's defective goods. I don't know entirely how it works but that plays into what can be QMOSed and tossed in the trash without a second thought, and what needs to be defected out or selected as donation. In the end it's all money, and no one has fun wearing red and khaki. I just got to show my favorite PA how to use the Defect App the other day because the Chobani's are switching over...she couldn't believe the absurdity of it. I told her it's so cool after you defect out 86 Chobani's you get a really long roll of "Tossed" stickers to drag around with you, but she still wasn't excited. Welcome to the other side, PAs, get used to Defect App. You can use my printer anytime you're near Receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back