Archived Question about employee discount from a minor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I recently got a job at Target and during orientation, they issued me a temporary discount card (until the actual card comes in). I've read the handbook on the section and it says that no one except a spouse or dependent is allowed to use the card, but I'm still not clear on something. Is it alright if my parents use the card? I'm 16 and I'm pretty sure they claim me as a dependent and I was wondering if it was okay if we (my parents and I) buy something together but they pay in full while I present my discount? Thank you for any answers!

Only you can use the card.
You can buy things and pay for them with your money or card but not your parents card.

A dependent means someone you are married to in this case.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

We never intended to pay with a card. It would have just gone something like: My dad and I are in Target and decide to buy a pair of shoes and some snacks. We go in checkout together and I present my employee discount card and he pays in cash for the items.

I was wondering if the above was okay under the Target guidelines. Also, would it matter if he was just there with me and I handed over the cash?

Only you can physically pay for items with your discount. Having you dad hand the cashier money would more than likely get you termed, whether it be sooner or later. You having cash for shoes your dad picked out may also ring alarm bells but I'm not sure if they can prove it's your money unless your dad hands it to you in store in view of cameras.

When doing stuff like this, just think of every obvious scenario that could get you in trouble, and think of ways to avoid it.

There's also a lot of gray area for AP. I once brought my sister and mom in, told them I will buy whatever they wanted as a gift, and went through a line with me with about $50 of women's clothing. Who's to say they didn't pay me back later (which they didn't; they were really gifts)? Hell, who's to say the clothes weren't for me or a donation to a woman's shelter?

Park way in the back, one of you gets out and goes to the window and exchange the cash as discreetly as possible.

Pretty much just handle it like a shady drug deal.

Thank you for all the replies!

I've talked with my parents and have decided to follow what Produce Queen said: they will give me the cash beforehand (at home) and we'll go to the store together (I can't drive yet) and pick out things like food or whatnot. Then, we will get in line and I'll pay from my wallet. I'm honestly not trying to take advantage of Target but I don't have much money yet and I don't think I can open a Target REDcard yet so this is how it will go until I'm 18. Also, is the above technically illegal?

Also, am I able to buy giftcards with my discount? (For places like Amazon and Google Play)?

Last edited:
You used to be able to but now it just doesn't take anything off. The 5% REDcard discount still comes off though.

I've talked with my parents and have decided to follow what Produce Queen said: they will give me the cash beforehand (at home) and we'll go to the store together (I can't drive yet) and pick out things like food or whatnot. Then, we will get in line and I'll pay from my wallet. I'm honestly not trying to take advantage of Target but I don't have much money yet and I don't think I can open a Target REDcard yet so this is how it will go until I'm 18. Also, is the above technically illegal?

Also, am I able to buy giftcards with my discount? (For places like Amazon and Google Play)?
Kind reminder, say nothing to your coworkers, except it is a gift, if asked.

Isn't it alright to purchase food under my employee discount?

Hi! I recently got a job at Target and during orientation, they issued me a temporary discount card (until the actual card comes in). I've read the handbook on the section and it says that no one except a spouse or dependent is allowed to use the card, but I'm still not clear on something. Is it alright if my parents use the card? I'm 16 and I'm pretty sure they claim me as a dependent and I was wondering if it was okay if we (my parents and I) buy something together but they pay in full while I present my discount? Thank you for any answers!
They are NOT allowed to use your discount. You have to be the one that pays. The cash has to come out of your wallet or the red card has to be in your name.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

We never intended to pay with a card. It would have just gone something like: My dad and I are in Target and decide to buy a pair of shoes and some snacks. We go in checkout together and I present my employee discount card and he pays in cash for the items.

I was wondering if the above was okay under the Target guidelines. Also, would it matter if he was just there with me and I handed over the cash?
The cash has to come out of your wallet. If AP see on camera your dad given you the cash to pay, you will be written up. Under your 90 days you will be fired

I honestly wouldn't even have your parents in line with you. If you are buying lots of stuff...that is out of the norm for a 16 year old kid. And if you are buying a lot of "gifts" that will draw attention to AP.

I honestly wouldn't even have your parents in line with you. If you are buying lots of stuff...that is out of the norm for a 16 year old kid. And if you are buying a lot of "gifts" that will draw attention to AP.
Who's to say his parents aren't just poor and can't afford groceries? Is AP going to run credit checks on his parents and follow them home and watch in the bushes to make sure they don't give him cash for the purchase?

@t23targe btw, that is pretty much what you say if asked. Everyone in your household needs to pull their own weight, and your part is buying the groceries.

Your employee discount will not work for gift cards. It used to but they did away with that a couple years ago. If you open a checking account you can still get a red card debit card even if you are under 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back