Employee Discount Misuse

I mean, either someone is allowed to use the discount or they aren't. It's black and white. As a TM, I'm not going down because someone wants to save 10 cents on a purchase when they aren't entitled to it.

If you allow one person to use a discount erroneously, why not let everyone? Where is the line drawn then?

She had the physical discount card with her. Now she has it in the app. It's no different.

Buddy if you get caught Target is gonna let you go, for abusing employee discount. You CANNOT let anyone even if they are your friends, or family to use employee discount. The team leader is gonna heavily monitor your activities especially if you are seasonal, or working in 90 days probationary period.
lol. ok.

She had the physical discount card with her. Now she has it in the app. It's no different.
There is NOTHING stopping you from just doing an OPU LOL. Idk why people here are acting like you're going to get shot down by Brain Cornell himself. literal worst case is a TL / ETL tells you not to do it again.

i guess lol. nowadays TLs are wayyyy to busy to worry about useless shit like this though.
Pffffffff I wish, ours always seems to be there when we've done the seemingly smallest thing wrong like the discount use.

I always get so happy when I hear "I'm going to go do cash office" or "I'm going to lunch" because it means half an hour I don't have to worry I'll get pulled off the floor and given a verbal about some tiny thing that could have been a 10 second warning. 'You need to smile more' instead of, 'hey, we're trying to give big 10 service and it would be helpful if you would smile. Our guests are very important...' blah blah.

It always seems to be on busy days they want to do that, too.

I would think it's AP's job to coach about discount abuse. I mean, a TL can tell you the policy, what's right and wrong, but it should be AP or the SD'S job to write you up or facilitate a termination.

Discount abuse is theft, full stop.

In my 9 years working at Target, I've never given my numbers to anyone else. Not worth the risk.

Now there have been times when I was working and my mom would ask me to pick something up like toilet paper or whatever she was running low on, and she'd pay me back for it. But they're not going to go after you for that. Unless you're buying like 10 iPads.

In my 9 years working at Target, I've never given my numbers to anyone else. Not worth the risk.

Now there have been times when I was working and my mom would ask me to pick something up like toilet paper or whatever she was running low on, and she'd pay me back for it. But they're not going to go after you for that. Unless you're buying like 10 iPads.
From what I understand, even that is against policy, but how would AP/ Leadership know? Unless money is changing hands on the sales floor or someone goes around bragging, they wouldn't know something like that.

I agree with what others have said that it would likely go unnoticed unless it gets brought to a leaders attention. AP can pull up all transactions under someones TM number. If they see abuse or a bunch of different names using the card it can be flagged.

I have seen an AP leader that pulls the TM discount report weekly and checks for abuse, I don't think anything ever came of it but I am not sure.

I know that at my store we have told team members that their adult children weren't allowed to use their discount and they acted surprised and said it wouldn't happen again, same with kids letting their parents use it.

People don't understand what a dependent is.

All the being said I would never give my TM number to someone to use. If a close family member wants something of high dollar I just buy it for them.

We had a TM whose whole family was using her discount. Like grown siblings with families of their own. I don't know why AP didn't stop it, but once they caught her buying high demand merch, she was gone.

I can see how this could be used as "ammunition" if they're wanting to get rid of a TM.
That said, I've used my discount on a friend's behalf to pick up something for them and they pay me back later. But in the 10+ years I been there, that's been only a handful of times and certainly not on high-demand merch. And I didn't advertise it either.

I can see how this could be used as "ammunition" if they're wanting to get rid of a TM.
That said, I've used my discount on a friend's behalf to pick up something for them and they pay me back later. But in the 10+ years I been there, that's been only a handful of times and certainly not on high-demand merch. And I didn't advertise it either.
this is true but if your store leadership is cool then just take it with a grain of salt.

Back