Archived Question for closing leads

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what my SD told me, my store does not get any closing experts. That I will have the same people closing on the different night but not actual TMs.

Coverage has been spotty. Usually on the Style side. One call out hurts, when you can’t find coverage.

From what my SD told me, my store does not get any closing experts. That I will have the same people closing on the different night but not actual TMs.

Coverage has been spotty. Usually on the Style side. One call out hurts, when you can’t find coverage.
My small format store has a closing expert. You should be able to have at least 1.

Larger store, and we didn't get the closing experts, either. Different people every night, and often a disaster. No explanation other than "GM leaders aren't willing to give up the payroll."

Questions for closing leads:
How has your store been dealing with lunches? TLs getting written up left and right for compliance (theirs, or their teams) and working off the clock... but closers expected to just answer calls and go help as needed on the floor during their lunch break? Is that even legal since they're off the clock? SD just told everyone "try and get 30 minutes worth of break in there at some point, and just punch for lunch whenever."

Closing lead is always told they are not allowed to be in the building alone... yet last TM is scheduled at close, and cannot be forced to stay off the clock, is not allowed to stay punched in past shift end?

Larger store, and we didn't get the closing experts, either. Different people every night, and often a disaster. No explanation other than "GM leaders aren't willing to give up the payroll."

Questions for closing leads:
How has your store been dealing with lunches? TLs getting written up left and right for compliance (theirs, or their teams) and working off the clock... but closers expected to just answer calls and go help as needed on the floor during their lunch break? Is that even legal since they're off the clock? SD just told everyone "try and get 30 minutes worth of break in there at some point, and just punch for lunch whenever."

Closing lead is always told they are not allowed to be in the building alone... yet last TM is scheduled at close, and cannot be forced to stay off the clock, is not allowed to stay punched in past shift end?
Idea is that there should still be another lead in the building long enough for the closing lead to get their lunch in. However at my own store that rarely happens so yes, I answer calls and tend to guests and issues while on lunch. Until something changes I have to do what needs done. The person who is last in the building does stay with me while on the clock. I will not have them being forced to stay while off the clock and I will not be in the building alone because my AP BP would have a coronary if they found out.

Um. I pretty much work through my meals daily, and just slack off make sure I make up for it with downtime spent not working when I’m able to. Also, I’m alone in the building plenty. Scheduled that way sometimes. Also not getting paid for my perimeter checks. Oh yeah and screwed over by the new paygrades.

On the bright side, even my worst days aren’t that stressful because I don’t have a department to worry about, and the ETLs are so unwilling to close or be in the building any later than 4:30 that I’m never made to cut any OT when it happens, due to coming in early for meetings, or staying late, or whatever else. Wanna coach me for compliance? Let’s see what the HRBP thinks about me having to run the building during my meal break and then you pressuring me to commit time clock fraud by punching out on time for a non existent uninterrupted lunch.

Having said all that, there’s perks. This position has thought me to worry less, and focus on doing the job I need to do and not overextending myself. Cool, market called off? Sorry cosmetics, looks like you’re zoning pharmacy too because I’m not letting food be empty af, so I’m pulling someone from hardlines to fill. Oh, you’re mad I coached your TM for attendance because they’re really good and you can’t afford to lose them? Tough shit, they’re no good to me if they aren’t here. STL says I own the business at night, and the ETLs know he has my back if they don’t like a decision of mine, so I get left alone.

Um. I pretty much work through my meals daily, and just slack off make sure I make up for it with downtime spent not working when I’m able to. Also, I’m alone in the building plenty. Scheduled that way sometimes. Also not getting paid for my perimeter checks. Oh yeah and screwed over by the new paygrades.

On the bright side, even my worst days aren’t that stressful because I don’t have a department to worry about, and the ETLs are so unwilling to close or be in the building any later than 4:30 that I’m never made to cut any OT when it happens, due to coming in early for meetings, or staying late, or whatever else. Wanna coach me for compliance? Let’s see what the HRBP thinks about me having to run the building during my meal break and then you pressuring me to commit time clock fraud by punching out on time for a non existent uninterrupted lunch.

Having said all that, there’s perks. This position has thought me to worry less, and focus on doing the job I need to do and not overextending myself. Cool, market called off? Sorry cosmetics, looks like you’re zoning pharmacy too because I’m not letting food be empty af, so I’m pulling someone from hardlines to fill. Oh, you’re mad I coached your TM for attendance because they’re really good and you can’t afford to lose them? Tough shit, they’re no good to me if they aren’t here. STL says I own the business at night, and the ETLs know he has my back if they don’t like a decision of mine, so I get left alone.

The same here!! Expect for last week, I have been getting my perimeter pay.

I'm pretty lucky as far as my lunch goes, there's 1-2 other leaders in the building until 6. When I take lunch, I free myself of my walkie and mydevice!
The biggest annoyance so far as Closing Lead is having a skeleton crew, from the front end, to the whole sales floor.
Currently don't have a closing expert, but I already clarified that if we do get one, we'll lose hardlines coverage, so it wouldnt help anyway.

I'm pretty lucky as far as my lunch goes, there's 1-2 other leaders in the building until 6. When I take lunch, I free myself of my walkie and mydevice!
The biggest annoyance so far as Closing Lead is having a skeleton crew, from the front end, to the whole sales floor.
Currently don't have a closing expert, but I already clarified that if we do get one, we'll lose hardlines coverage, so it wouldnt help anyway.
If I took my lunch at 6, I’d definitely hit compliance Friday’s as we are a 5 hour state and we close at midnight, and I’d pretty much hit compliance Monday-Thursday as well if I had to punch out by 11:30. But, if the other leaders are there UNTIL 6, then that means taking your meal at 5:30? I’d be screwed either way. Plus I’m not trying to take my meal 2 hours after starting my 8.5 hour shift

Usually I have a closing S&E TL 3 out of 5 nights a week, depedning on vacations etc. However according to the rollout theyre supposed to work mids, but for availability reasons and for coverage we have them closing.

Usually I have a closing S&E TL 3 out of 5 nights a week, depedning on vacations etc. However according to the rollout theyre supposed to work mids, but for availability reasons and for coverage we have them closing.

This is true for my store.
ALL the ETLS leave early, the SETL are the only ones I’ve seen covering our CLTL for breaks.

I would definitely close if they gave me the opportunity to do so

My HR gave me a 15 minute non-committal speech about lunches while closing that was basically "we know you're not going to be able to take it, we know that's illegal, and it's your job to not complain about it so we don't have to put you on a corrective action for doing something illegal that we forced you to do... so shut up and fake your punches."

My HR gave me a 15 minute non-committal speech about lunches while closing that was basically "we know you're not going to be able to take it, we know that's illegal, and it's your job to not complain about it so we don't have to put you on a corrective action for doing something illegal that we forced you to do... so shut up and fake your punches."

What the hell. The HR should be fighting for you to have coverage even if every other leader says fake the punch.

What the hell. The HR should be fighting for you to have coverage even if every other leader says fake the punch.

You quickly learn the HR position, other than hiring, is mostly concerned with covering the store's ass.
TMs (and leaders) get put on a CCA for compliance violations regardless of if you have a reason or not, and often without even asking what the reason was, so Target has legal recourse to say that THEY aren't violating the law, YOU are.
Same reason they write you up for working unsafely when you get injured in a lot of areas, now.

I have been trying to get on a better routine with my breaks, but lately for some reason all the other leaders have only been scheduled until 5 or 530. I usually just take my meal whenever I have time, or right as I’m about to hit compliance. If there isn’t another leader in the building it’s fine 99% of the time. My team can handle it.

What I’m curious about is how everyone else’s routines are? My store is just starting to get areas “set to standard”. Basically that means that my closing expert and I can come in, drop fill for depths in each area, quick touch up zone, then hopefully minimal amounts of stray. We only have one area set so far. The idea is that the person in the morning should have a very small auto fill, minimal back stock, and the freight should be more manageable because our counts are updated. In the end it will be a more efficient process overall.

Anyone else further along?

Mon-Thurs I'm there 2-1030ish.

2-3 I get with all leadership and TM's left from GM to see where they are and what their plans for the day are. I also partner with the front end to see how everything is going in their area to ensure there's no call offs' or if they've been experiencing any issues.
3p we pull the CAFS and push them. Usually depending on size, takes till about 5-6.
5-6 my CE comes in and starts on reshop. Their role in our store has pretty much been relegated to all HL reshop and seasonal zone. (will place in another area if seasonal is in a good spot)
6-8 I generally take my lunch, clean up the back and check on my team making sure everyone is in a good spot and that there's being progress made in any tasking they were left with. (including checking on zones)
8p Sbux closes so I check on sbux and prep 239 for front end.
830 sbux trash is taken to the back and I spend anywhere from 30-40 min throwing away all the garbage the teams brought back. (usually compactor is jammed with ungod amtns of crap bc no one runs it)
9pm I start my email.
930 I help with any last second pickups throughout the store.
955 I go up front get ready to lock the doors.
10 doors get locked and I do my last walk.
1010 usually done with walk and done securing perimeter and then finish up 239, email and what not.
Usually out by 1020 at the latest.

Lol my day:

2:00 GM TLs all leave
3:30 scheduled start time
3:42 casually stroll in, no one cares as this bit keeps the OT down
4:00 handoff convo with the lone ETL which consists of asking where ship is at and me asking for attendance info
4:30 any remaining leadership in the building nopes on out
4:31 read emails, try to fill any call-offs, check in with the arriving closing team
5:00 remind everyone to be logged into the phone app
5:15 15 minute break
5:42 return from 15 minute break
6:00 next round of closers arrive, check in with them
6:30 start pre-writing the closing email
6:59 “hey ship, did we make it?”
7:00 walk the store, admire the accumulating reshop, note which softlines zone has the most on the floor, shop for my lunch
7:30 lunchtimeeee
7:33 “lod can you come to the service desk for guest assistance?”
7:40 now lunchtimeeeee
7:41 “hey lod can you help me with so-and-so powered equipment blah blah”
8:03 finally able to sit down
8:04 punch in from meal
8:45 emerge from the office after making up for working through my meal
9:00 starbucks leaves, sign their binder then back to receiving to lock up. If the morning team leaves shit full and jammed, that’s how they get it the next morning.
9:15 “hey lod, ready for 239 soon?” “We close in an hour and 45 minutes, so... no”
9:30 reshop crackdown, “everybody make sure you’re clearing the floor and bins as you’re wrapping up you’re zones so we are clean before we leave”. The team knows this, but I say it because they were kind of taken aback one weekend when the lod was like guys why isn’t the reshop clear yet it’s 6:30? Lol talk about an optimist
10:00 the home stretch, final break
10:20 “gsa I’m here for 239 are you coming?”
10:30 “hey team, anyone want to extend and stay later? Any takers who would hit compliance as a result take a meal now”
10:31 help whichever zones are in the most need
10:45 rude closing announcement
10:46 “lod can you come to the service desk for guest assistance”
10:47 guest complaint about closing announcement
10:55 second closing announcement
10:56 gsa asks for backup, I immediately tell the team that I need them to make sure we are sending guests up front from their zones instead then ask the gsa on 4 why people who come at closing time should have a speedy checkout lol
10:57 lock entry doors
11:00 closeddddd
11:05 clear of guests, lock all doors
11:06 reshop party, c’mon everyone let’s knock out these bins
11:25 239
11:30 let closing team out, delegate leftovers to the person who extended
11:32 smooth over any rough spots to cover my ass
11:55 let out anyone who extended
11:59 finish email
12:03 punch out
12:04 turns on loud music and build a crap cart of leftovers to kill while doing a final inside lap
12:15 arm building and lock the door behind me, then drive around for a quick perimeter check
12:30 get home and eat something before passing out

Lol my day:

2:00 GM TLs all leave
3:30 scheduled start time
3:42 casually stroll in, no one cares as this bit keeps the OT down
4:00 handoff convo with the lone ETL which consists of asking where ship is at and me asking for attendance info
4:30 any remaining leadership in the building nopes on out
4:31 read emails, try to fill any call-offs, check in with the arriving closing team
5:00 remind everyone to be logged into the phone app
5:15 15 minute break
5:42 return from 15 minute break
6:00 next round of closers arrive, check in with them
6:30 start pre-writing the closing email
6:59 “hey ship, did we make it?”
7:00 walk the store, admire the accumulating reshop, note which softlines zone has the most on the floor, shop for my lunch
7:30 lunchtimeeee
7:33 “lod can you come to the service desk for guest assistance?”
7:40 now lunchtimeeeee
7:41 “hey lod can you help me with so-and-so powered equipment blah blah”
8:03 finally able to sit down
8:04 punch in from meal
8:45 emerge from the office after making up for working through my meal
9:00 starbucks leaves, sign their binder then back to receiving to lock up. If the morning team leaves shit full and jammed, that’s how they get it the next morning.
9:15 “hey lod, ready for 239 soon?” “We close in an hour and 45 minutes, so... no”
9:30 reshop crackdown, “everybody make sure you’re clearing the floor and bins as you’re wrapping up you’re zones so we are clean before we leave”. The team knows this, but I say it because they were kind of taken aback one weekend when the lod was like guys why isn’t the reshop clear yet it’s 6:30? Lol talk about an optimist
10:00 the home stretch, final break
10:20 “gsa I’m here for 239 are you coming?”
10:30 “hey team, anyone want to extend and stay later? Any takers who would hit compliance as a result take a meal now”
10:31 help whichever zones are in the most need
10:45 rude closing announcement
10:46 “lod can you come to the service desk for guest assistance”
10:47 guest complaint about closing announcement
10:55 second closing announcement
10:56 gsa asks for backup, I immediately tell the team that I need them to make sure we are sending guests up front from their zones instead then ask the gsa on 4 why people who come at closing time should have a speedy checkout lol
10:57 lock entry doors
11:00 closeddddd
11:05 clear of guests, lock all doors
11:06 reshop party, c’mon everyone let’s knock out these bins
11:25 239
11:30 let closing team out, delegate leftovers to the person who extended
11:32 smooth over any rough spots to cover my ass
11:55 let out anyone who extended
11:59 finish email
12:03 punch out
12:04 turns on loud music and build a crap cart of leftovers to kill while doing a final inside lap
12:15 arm building and lock the door behind me, then drive around for a quick perimeter check
12:30 get home and eat something before passing out

Wow you get out late. Our closing lead leaves literally around 11:30/11:40. Our store closes at 11 and he even starts sending people out by 11. 😂

ew good god no i won’t ever be closing again

and i’m the only TL without keys so i don’t have to be part of the weekend rotation 🥳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back