Archived Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone -

I'm new to red and have a question....

I initially applied for a certain position but after my lengthy interview I was told that wasn't available at the time and was offered a position in presentation...I was used to being a key holder and manager on duty at other retailers (mainly soft lines) so I wasn't sure what to expect in presentation.....

Well, I have been training the last couple of days in presentation and I don't like it at all....lol

I prefer interaction with guests and selling, etc.

Do you think they would take it kindly and understand if I told them this wasn't the right fit for me? I don't want to leave Target altogether, I just want a department with more guest interaction, etc.

Thanks!

Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to The Break Room.

Mixed thoughts on this one.
They needed a person for plano so that's what you got hired for and it's kinda tough to transfer right off the bat.
However, one of your core roles is helping guests.
Working presentation (plano) you are always around guests (unless you're overnight, I didn't catch that part).
If you work the Vibe, show everybody how truly AWESOME you are at helping guests and get register trained, flipping over to softlines shouldn't be to tough.

I agree with commie on this for sure. You will have plenty of time to interact with guests and to drive this with your team. You will also be rotating weekends, which should basically be all about the guest interaction.

It can be a cool job to show your ability to lead a decent-sized team, plan, and influence others. My advice would be to let it play out awhile and see if you end up liking it.

Yeah, I know it's only been a couple of days now and if it were my TM coming to me wanting to switch after two days I would probably be like, How do you know after two days?? lol Although, I was training on the sales floor earlier on and I enjoyed that more :)

Supposedly they want to prep me to be the TL of Presentation but I feel that the other employees in the department whom have been there for many years would absolutely hate me :)

Yeah, I know it's only been a couple of days now and if it were my TM coming to me wanting to switch after two days I would probably be like, How do you know after two days?? lol Although, I was training on the sales floor earlier on and I enjoyed that more :)

Supposedly they want to prep me to be the TL of Presentation but I feel that the other employees in the department whom have been there for many years would absolutely hate me :)

Can I just say that if they offer you the PTL position ...

Run screaming into the night.

I don't want it actually lol

What are some good positions in the store where you can advance?

You can advance from anywhere. I was a GSTL when I was promoted, I have promoted a few Logistics/Backroom TLs, and had Flow TL promote recently too. Another nearby store promoted a SLTL and there is another working on promoting a CTL and a Presentation TL. SrTL is probably the obvious spot since you get better exposure to senior leaders, but I really don't envy anyone in that job. Regardless of the position, support from your STL is key. They will be the one that ultimately helps you get to ETL interviews.

Thanks for the info! This forum is really informative....I'm so glad that I found it!

You go where they want you to go lol... The position itself doesn't matter as long as you are making an impact and showing off your leadership! In all actuality PTL is one of the more difficult positions in the store and would come with a high level of exposure to your STL! I think any position CAN do this, but PTL just naturally requires a ton of communication!

You go where they want you to go lol... The position itself doesn't matter as long as you are making an impact and showing off your leadership! In all actuality PTL is one of the more difficult positions in the store and would come with a high level of exposure to your STL! I think any position CAN do this, but PTL just naturally requires a ton of communication!

The STL and I clicked pretty good...I think I'll enjoy wearing red and khaki....It's easy to keep busy compared to the last job I had where we only had one POG every 3-4 months :)

If you don't like it - it will be difficult to be the TL of that team. Try and get to a more service-oriented team, but if they really give you push back they will most likely not budge. When you have the chance - try and make your service skills really stand out. If "selling" is really your forte - electronics is THE place to be in Target. It is the most selling-oriented. As part of planogram - within that role alone after you get your bearings you can try and volunteer to do the pogs in that section - electronics, tv wall, new release revisions (which are weekly - if your electronic/entertainment tms aren't already doing them). Same thing goes for any other area you might be interested in. The good thing about plano is that it gives you a good look at every department and what makes it tick. If you do end up in a PTL position - i would say it is one of the most difficult in the store - so being successful at it gives you very high visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back