• Thread starter Vaughn0311
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 18K
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vaughn0311

Currently an overnight ETL Replen. Thinking about quitting soon. I don't want to give a two week notice because I've heard no good comes of this. Any opinions? Pros and Cons?
Also, there is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I've no legal obligation to give two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The no good: I've heard you get treated like what you are. An individual leaving a team. Thus you are an outsider. I know outsiders don't get treated well because as an outsider joining the company, everyone treated me with a hint of disdain. Furthermore, I do not intend on justifying my actions. I was just seeking advice on pros and cons and perhaps here from individuals who have heard of similar situations or maybe have done it themselves. Would I just call the STL and DTL and say I quit, or do i go to HR?

your worried about how others are going to treat you? who cares what others think and how others treat you on your last weeks their, your moving on from a place that has no hope what so ever while they're stuck there.

just put in your two weeks, do a half ass job, and walk out with a smile on your face, you never know when or if you will need target again in the future. Im currently leaving as well soon and as MUCH i would LOVE to just walk out and never go back, i never know when i will need target again, even though i hate how they

are now.

Plus, your an ETL, im sure you see yourself as a leader, if you just get up and never go back what will that show you?

Last edited:
The no good: I've heard you get treated like what you are. An individual leaving a team. Thus you are an outsider. I know outsiders don't get treated well because as an outsider joining the company, everyone treated me with a hint of disdain. Furthermore, I do not intend on justifying my actions. I was just seeking advice on pros and cons and perhaps here from individuals who have heard of similar situations or maybe have done it themselves. Would I just call the STL and DTL and say I quit, or do i go to HR?

Yeah I'd say you pretty well nailed it....after all you are quitting. Never burn bridges. Meet with the STL face to face and tell them you are giving your 2 weeks. You've only been in position a very short while, so I doubt you have built much of a rapport with your peers. I'm not being mean, just saying as it is. Could be a tough couple weeks, but you're an adult. Sometimes the right thing isn't easy. It's not always easy.

I agree. We have at least 3 tm right now that have recently returned after leaving for greener pastures. Pastures weren't as green as they thought and they were glad to have a job to return to.

I told the DTL and STL during week two of business college that although I had agreed to an overnight position. I had realized that overnight frankly didn't work for my wife and I. I asked for a different position but was told that there were none. Literally the next day they were talking about all the new people they had hired and were soon going to hire for daytime positions. I just looked at them in disbelief. I am now in week 7 of business college and have interviews lined up. Once I get another offer, I intend on just calling them and letting them know of my decision. They were obviously only looking out for themselves and the business when they told me there were no daytime positions; so why should I have to do differently. As per the future, I do not intend on working for Target. Other employers will surely see that working overnight and in retail is an understandable reason for a person wanting to leave a position.

I told the DTL and STL during week two of business college that although I had agreed to an overnight position. I had realized that overnight frankly didn't work for my wife and I. I asked for a different position but was told that there were none. Literally the next day they were talking about all the new people they had hired and were soon going to hire for daytime positions. I just looked at them in disbelief. I am now in week 7 of business college and have interviews lined up. Once I get another offer, I intend on just calling them and letting them know of my decision. They were obviously only looking out for themselves and the business when they told me there were no daytime positions; so why should I have to do differently. As per the future, I do not intend on working for Target. Other employers will surely see that working overnight and in retail is an understandable reason for a person wanting to leave a position.

If I were a prospective employer, I would see you as an immature brat who took his toys and went home when he didn't get his way. I've never seen an employer (and I'm old) who doesn't look with disdain upon someone who didn't give notice at his last job.

Vaughn, I am sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for you. You're not alone, Target has screwed over countless TMs and leaders. As others have said, I would recommend giving notice just to be safe. Best of luck in your job search, and I hope you find something that works better for you and your wife.

Give your two weeks but, it has been my experience that often they will just tell you go right then anyway. And yes you will be treated like you do not exist if you do stay those two weeks however, it is common courtesy. When I gave my two weeks they treated me like it was a suprise and like I was leaving them in a lurch when I had made it clear if things did not improve I would walk. So I worked my two weeks and had a fun time doing it. Nothing makes a crappy job better than not giving a crap and know you are free soon.

^This.
Give your two weeks & attempt to work it out.
I say "attempt" because they'll probably cut you short fearing vendetta-taking.
Either way, it's best to show who really has class.

Well, you are a leader which means you need to demonstrate courage and status with your STL on where you see yourself going next (obviously not with Target). That is the best way to handle the situation and see how they reply! No boss is going to be happy to see an ETL basically tell them they are quitting, but they should appreciate you telling them so they don't have to hear it from above! From there your STL will probably help you quit if that is what you guys agree upon...

Honestly, an ETL should be developed well enough into the leadership expectations to know the best route for this type of scenario!

If I were a prospective employer, I would see you as an immature brat who took his toys and went home when he didn't get his way. I've never seen an employer (and I'm old) who doesn't look with disdain upon someone who didn't give notice at his last job.

There is no way a future employer will know if he gave notice or not. Target will not release that information.

Currently an overnight ETL Replen. Thinking about quitting soon. I don't want to give a two week notice because I've heard no good comes of this. Any opinions? Pros and Cons?
Also, there is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I've no legal obligation to give two weeks.

Here is the problem.... you are an ETL. In my years with Target, I have seen countless ETLs literally get walked out the door by AP (humiliating) after giving two weeks. Target does not like letting ETLs have access to so much after they have made it clear they are leaving because an ETL who is unhappy could potentially do major damage before leaving. (i.e. go into MAX and change every TMs punches to random times, order 10 times more perishables than needed, etc.)

My advice? Leave on your terms before they walk you out the door in disgrace.

Here are the two scenarios:

First scenario - you do the "right thing" and give two weeks. The following happens:

1. One day randomly before your two weeks is up your STL along with AP greets you in the office. They tell you to give them your keys and tell you that your services are no longer needed.
2. AP walks you out the door like a common thief in front of your team.

Second scenario - you leave on your terms. The following could happen:

1. You walk in to your STLs office, tell him/her exactly what is wrong with this company and why you are leaving, plop your keys down on her desk and say "see ya!".
2. If you get a chance on your way out, tell your team it was nice working with them.
3. Walk on the door alone head held high.

The major (and pretty much only "con") of the second scenario? You will be marked non-rehireable internally at Target. But you know what, I wouldn't worry about that. Target generally will *never* let a former ETL come back, nor have I ever seen such a thing happen in all of my years with Target.

I agree. Why should you give 2 weeks if they're gonna fire you immediately? I have heard that it's paid though, so in that case, maybe give two weeks. You never know, sucks that it's like that.

There is no way a future employer will know if he gave notice or not. Target will not release that information.

It's my understanding that Stores cannot give out information but Corporate does state whether you are re-hireable or not. They won't give a specific reason, but not being re-hireable at Target would certainly show any prospective employer a red flag.

I've seen ETLs work out their two weeks more lately than I did four or five years ago. (But it also depends on if you're leaving on good terms.) In your situation OP, they'd probably just let you go the day you give notice, considering you're in business college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back