Quitting

Good day to all. I (17) tried changing my availability for my upcoming school semester. Unfortunately It was denied as I quite literally am a new hire. So I'm not going to work these ridiculous hours during my school year as school is a bigger priority for me than work has/will be. It's only been a week and I am already putting in my 2 weeks for professionalism. Although hours isn't my only reason for making this choice. See I was a seasonal worker from Nov-Jan (20-21) and my time at Target during this time was very enjoyable. Most of the people that I had known during those times had left. And the reason was new leadership in our fulfillment department. everyone took a disliking for this new ETL, and I too am starting to dislike them. The working environment is not necessarily what I remember it to be. I also understand that season are different but this was a mass difference and it just made working for this Target very annoying and stressful. I get that work in general will be stressful but I did not believe my job would be stressful within the first week of coming back. I will search for a new job that isn't quite as stressful. That's my story as to how I worked at target for 3 weeks. Target is not for me yall can have it, im good.

P.S I just dont fucking like Target, see y'all at Walmart!

Ok, you will have to resign on workday and/or talk to your ETL or HR. This site isn't affiliated with your store (in case you didn't know). I'm sorry target didn't work out for you. I doubt walmart will be better

I only said it cuz i thought it would be a funny plot twist. Definitely am not enjoying retail at this point in life. Thanks for the reply tho! and yes ik it’s unaffiliated that’s why i came here to “vent”!

Good day to all. I (17) tried changing my availability for my upcoming school semester. Unfortunately It was denied as I quite literally am a new hire. So I'm not going to work these ridiculous hours during my school year as school is a bigger priority for me than work has/will be. It's only been a week and I am already putting in my 2 weeks for professionalism. Although hours isn't my only reason for making this choice. See I was a seasonal worker from Nov-Jan (20-21) and my time at Target during this time was very enjoyable. Most of the people that I had known during those times had left. And the reason was new leadership in our fulfillment department. everyone took a disliking for this new ETL, and I too am starting to dislike them. The working environment is not necessarily what I remember it to be. I also understand that season are different but this was a mass difference and it just made working for this Target very annoying and stressful. I get that work in general will be stressful but I did not believe my job would be stressful within the first week of coming back. I will search for a new job that isn't quite as stressful. That's my story as to how I worked at target for 3 weeks. Target is not for me yall can have it, im good.

P.S I just dont fucking like Target, see y'all at Walmart!
Unfortunately this company corporate and seems like most stores lie and don’t actually give a fuck about their employees, When it comes to scheduling they expect you to clear it completely and then not give you hours or even certain days off depending on holiday weekend bs or something and it’s ridiculous. They should simply hire more people if you can’t work often because of school. Target is a joke and I can’t wait to be out of my store when I can because of the hypocrisy and cult and drama allowed workplaces they allow.

I wish you good luck with whatever you do, Walmart honestly isn’t much better than Target if not than worse. It’s just unfortunate a company who’s had a long reputation of making sales and whatnot and then since they raised their employees wage, seems like there’s even more laziness with workers and political garbage from managers and whatnot. They lie about how good they are when they really aren’t that good when they just allow a shit culture and some of them don’t do anything to be tougher on people who constantly fuck up or show up late or take way longer breaks and whatnot.

Before you resign, I would speak to your store director. Explain the situation, what you were told when they brought you back, and what you are looking for.

If not successful, I would file a complaint with the hotline.

If you are not going to be rehireable since you are quitting after a few weeks, you might as well get a few shots in on the way out the door.

I see you made up your mind and that’s probably not going to change if the hours work out, but was the availability denied or “auto denied”? If no one looks at it to approve it after a certain amount of time (I think 10 days?), it gets automatically denied. Sometimes putting in the request isn’t enough, you have to verbally communicate with HR and a leader. It also helps to print out a copy of your school schedule. When I was first hired, they were able to accommodate my school schedule even though I was brand new. This was 8 years ago, but still things haven’t changed much in that regard.

I know stores not all the same. But, mine encourages scanning the QR code for team member desired hours. If you do like parts of your job it may be easier to go on demand. Rather than starting a new school year and a job. Good luck , whichever way you decide.

Target's policy states you can't change your availability for 90 days, my store makes that clear during our job offers. Did you disclose during your offer or state in your application the availability in which they hired you was only for 1 week. While I don't agree with your store denying an availability for school, I do unstersrand why they could be frustrated.

Last edited:
Back