Archived Razor Blades hidden under shopping cart handles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, got a report today from one of the ETLs that we need to watch out for straight razor blades hidden under the handles of the shopping carts and to be attentive to any customer calls for help especially in regards to cuts from handling the carts. :eek:

Anyone else run into this? I did some checking up with other friends who work retail and its been a thing at some local competitor stores as well. Hope this isn't an epidemic thing. o_O

I hope this doesn't happen here! I'll be on the look out though because we have the new carts and razors would be easier to hide.

I call Urban Legend. I heard about razor bladed carts and gas pumps years ago.
promo3234034451.jpg

Razor blades found hidden on carts at Festus Walmart

unfortunately, it really did happen twice last week at a walmart in the st. louis area. its pretty concerning since we have far more target stores than walmart stores around here, and they could easily start doing it at a target if they decide walmart is too risky now.

promo3234034451.jpg

Razor blades found hidden on carts at Festus Walmart

unfortunately, it really did happen twice last week at a walmart in the st. louis area. its pretty concerning since we have far more target stores than walmart stores around here, and they could easily start doing it at a target if they decide walmart is too risky now.
According to that article though, police don't think it was intentional.

My fear is it becomes a "trendy" thing amongst the thugs; like the "knock-out game". If social media picks this story up and starts it trending the brainless thugs will bring it out of urban legend and into reality.

Yeah, just because something has largely been myth doesn't mean someone wouldn't come up with the idea to make it reality if it gets enough attention.

Why do people have to be so cruel for no reason :(

That's a question I ask myself daily, I'm afraid. I still don't have an honest answer.

Why do people have to be so cruel for no reason :(
Anonymity, power, no fear of being caught but hoping to see the results of their cruelty.
Like middle school kids hoping to drive an outcast to suicide.
If they caught someone on surveillance & busted them, it would lose its cachet real quick.
In one case, they thought it was a shoplifter using it to cut tags.

Spot had some problems with something like this in the past. I can't remember if it was a needle or what.

If it wasn't covered it the news, some ETL's in my store wouldn't believe it either. They would blow it off as an "urban legend" and tell you to get back to work.

In one case, they thought it was a shoplifter using it to cut tags.

I'm just seeing that in my head now. Some guy cutting tags and gets caught by security and grabs the handle in a panic. "..." "Uh, no, sir. Nothing going on here. N-No, I don't hear any dripping. What red stream?"

The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without idiots adding to them. Tolkien paraphrased.
Razor blades on shopping carts. Jesus.

Last edited:
A few kids made a fort in my old store in the paper corner and a guest flagged down a TM. Was impressed my ETL SF made the little jerks clean it all up before they were asked to leave.

So, got a report today from one of the ETLs that we need to watch out for straight razor blades hidden under the handles of the shopping carts and to be attentive to any customer calls for help especially in regards to cuts from handling the carts. :eek:

Anyone else run into this? I did some checking up with other friends who work retail and its been a thing at some local competitor stores as well. Hope this isn't an epidemic thing. o_O

Didn't last long...
Blade found attached to Target shopping cart, police say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back