Archived Re-Banking Lanes: Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf4531

Fulfillment Expert
Can any other GSAs or GSTLs point me to where the Best Practice section for re-banking the lanes at night would be on Workbench?

Specifically, I am looking for the BP guidelines that refer to the use of bags on the checklanes (if this even exists). So far, all I've found is BP for opening the lanes (which just talks about how to stack cashiers) and Cash Office Guidelines.

The reason I'm asking is because I work in a Super T with 24 checklanes, several of which go unused throughout the day. Yet, we still have to visit every register every night to switch out the empty canvas bags, even if those registers were system closed on the closing checklist. I understand that we have to do this for the outlying registers. At my previous store though, we never set out bags for the main checklanes, so that we could avoid this issue. My ETL-GE tells us the reasoning is so that we physically touch every register every night. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Simple Store?

In reality, it's not that big of deal, because it only adds a couple of extra minutes per night, but I am curious if there are any BP guidelines that outline this process. Thanks!

The bag color merely indicates the day in use: red or green.
It's just a physical indicator of which day is in use & which one is being processed, a hold-over from when we re-banked every lane every day.
Thing is, the system sometimes required re-banking a lane even if it had gone days without use, for random audit purposes.

The BP should be in the "checklane operations." It's under the register assignment sections!

But I don't think it lists anything about bag color.

It did change recently at my store, where some lanes were closed. But it lasted only 1 day. Bad idea, spot!

24 lanes? Holy crap. We have 14 lanes... usually require 13 SF at the end of the night taking into consideration lanes not used but then Starbucks, FA, and Electronics. How long does it usually take you to close the lanes?

Our sister store is a Super T with 30 lanes but I've seldom seen more than 6 open at any time.

The bag color merely indicates the day in use: red or green.
It's just a physical indicator of which day is in use & which one is being processed, a hold-over from when we re-banked every lane every day.
Thing is, the system sometimes required re-banking a lane even if it had gone days without use, for random audit purposes.

I used to do CO, so I get what the different bag colors are for. My point is, is there even a need to set out bags for the main checklanes at night? Here are the two different scenarios I've worked in. For simplicity, let's say we're dropping green bags for the night:

Store A: At night, GSTL/GSA receives green bags for the main checklanes and red bags for all outlying registers. He looks at the closing checklist and immediately drops the empty green bags for all registers that were system closed. Then, unless the list indicates there was media to pick up, there's no need to even visit those registers. He then visits all outlying registers (which already have green bags from the previous night), drops those bags, and puts out new red bags for the next day. Finally, he closes the remaining checklanes using what's left of the green bags.

Store B: At night, GSTL/GSA receives red bags for all registers. She closes outlying registers in the same manner as the GSTL at Store A. She then must visit every checklane, regardless of its status on the closing checklist, and replace the green bag already there with a new red bag for the next day. She then drops each green bag, either empty or with money. In all likelihood, she will get distracted, miss a swap, and accidentally drop the wrong color for one register about once per week (which is no big deal, but still). :)

To me, Store A's routine is slightly more efficient (even if it only shaves off a couple of minutes). Just curious how other stores handle it.

P.S. Is my color font getting anyone in the mood for 4th Quarter?!

Last edited:
24 lanes? Holy crap. We have 14 lanes... usually require 13 SF at the end of the night taking into consideration lanes not used but then Starbucks, FA, and Electronics. How long does it usually take you to close the lanes?

If I go at a normal speed and factor in the occasional back-up, call to the floor, etc., I can usually get it done in an hour. We typically only need 20-25 funds each night, but the other night I had to re-bank all 32 (24 checklanes and our 8 outlying). Must have been the night for the routine register audit, because we NEVER use Jewelry.

I came from a P-Fresh store w/ only 14 checklanes, no Photo Lab, and no Starbucks, so it definitely took some getting used to at first, but now it's no big deal. It also helps that Electronics is at the front of the store and not the back!

Yeah, the only thing really there is what order to open your lanes, depending on your Front End layout (one-row, two-row, two-door, Super, etc.)

I have 32 Lanes +5 GS + One Hour Photo + 2 Elect + Jewelry + 2 FA + 2 SB - takes me 45 minutes - takes most people 1 hour maybe 1 hour 15. That includes time in 2329 before and after. We exchange color bags for every register, every night. The ones that aren't opened (and that's usually around five, maybe six) we change anyway cause we're walking by them. No big deal.

My store also has 32 registers we replace a different color bag for every register in use or not. Does everyone roll the money cart on to the floor while banking.... I never do this it seems Like i am a huge target I tend to grab a few money bags at a time bank them then return them back to the cash office. Is there a best pratice on this.

Is their a best practice that says we have to bank the lanes using a money cart I never use that thing. I feel like it makes me a target to push around 32 registers. I tend to take a few bags at a time to different areas of the store. But I just got a new GE who is against it. What does everyone else do?

I roll the cash cart everywhere, but we're a ULV P-fresh. Although, the only registers where we leave bags out instead of in the CO during the day are guest services and pharmacy, which are both banked in the AM. So leaving bags at every register seems weird.

My store's routine: Let's say it's going to be a green day today, so I have a large pile of green bags handed to me. Go through closing checklist, select bags which don't need to be used that night. Stick them under the coupon bag/check tray on the cart. Take the rolled coin and stick on top of the cart, stick the changed fund bag inside. Close and bank regular registers/electronics/starbucks, sticking their appropriate green bags which I was handed into the cart with the day's take. Close pharmacy/GS which have their green bags by their appropriate registers, sticking their day's take (leftovers in the case of GS usually) into the cart. The following morning, when banking lanes before open, take red bags with starting funds for GS out to the registers and bank, take pharmacy's bags and stick in the locked drawer with the change fund until someone from pharmacy picks them up. No more red bags on the floor except those by GS/Pharmacy. Repeat that evening with a clutch of red bags.

Money cart at my store as well. I've never felt like a target (pun not intended) except once at my store, where a couple of people who tickled my spidey sense came in late and asked me a question while closing a lane, and kept returning to ask questions for more products as I was closing registers at the front lanes. Nothing came of it though. My store's LODs would laugh in my face if I asked to get into the CO more than twice in the evening, although I suppose you could leave it in the vestibule.

Money cart always. It's slow, noisy, and lock-able.

I always take the cow. It keeps me organized, keeps me from running back and forth to it behind guest services, and I have the change organized in there so I can stock the registers up on change as needed.

I take it as well. Even though one of the wheels might fall out.

Walking the Beast is the safest way, all things considered. In addition, it doubles as a desk. What's not to like? But I certainly get your point.

always always use it. The only registers i close without it is starbucks and deli because i can't get the cart behind the counter because of the mats and electronics because ours is in the very back of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back