Reasons to get fired

What would be a reason for an ETL to get fired but has been told they can't discuss it with anyone.

Last edited:
Printing bar codes for a cheap product and putting them on an expensive one. You can keep the products in the same department, and still have an advocate ring you up. This will take longer to figure out imo. Like put a barcode for 48 ounce Tide on the 128 ounce version. Most would not notice that.

What would be a reason for an ETL to get fired but has been told they can't discuss it with anyone.
Our ETL got fired for smoking pot in the bathroom in the back. I mean how dumb can you be? People had seen them in their car a couple times so I guess the bathroom was more private. Actually got away with it for a couple months until someone ratted them out.

Printing bar codes for a cheap product and putting them on an expensive one. You can keep the products in the same department, and still have an advocate ring you up. This will take longer to figure out imo. Like put a barcode for 48 ounce Tide on the 128 ounce version. Most would not notice that.
Probably not internal but some smart thief put a tag with the right brand and right size on another shirt of similar color. That thing was there on the floor for months. It was sleeveless and mostly red and when we got to late fall i was sure it had to be clearance. Checked with price change and it turned out the tag was for a red cardigan. It fooled everyone in softlines because the tag simply said "red".

The three people I knew why they got fired over the years:

Be the garden center team lead, cull the old plants and then go back after work and "rescue" them from the dumpster and bring them home.

Be walking through Electronics back room with the STL and have several sealed iPods fall out of your pocket.

Get caught stealing the purse of a team member out of her locker, and that team member happens to be the a senior ETL's niece on her first day. Be paraded out of the store in handcuffs by the police.

Edit: these were a TL and 2 TMs, not ETLs

Last edited:
Just a few for my ETLs-
Walked off job
Stealing money
DUI arrest
Hoarding merchandise
Sleeping/relationship with team
Uncompleted tasks
Ignoring team complaints
Not a district butt kisser
Re-Org'ed out/Too Old School
Fired for a DUI arrest? That seems...surprising.

We, too, had an ETL fired for DUI arrest but this arrest came w jail time. It was either his 3 or 4th in 5 years. Makes me wonder about our vendor for background checks for higher ups. Another one that I'm surprised hasn't shown up is quitting for a competitor like Walmart.

You d think...for "shouting, SHOUTING!!! down a guest who asked for additional cashiers " but nah. Even tho TL was steps away. But... call out sick without any sick hours left...hours cut, coached, ignored....tl s are pos.

We had a guy who enjoyed a liquid lunch quite frequently, a back room TM. Visibly loaded quite a bit. He got the boot. Quite a nice pleasant young guy with a serious problem.

plenty of companies will give you the sack for getting arrested at all, regardless of the reason
Target isn't one of them though. I know this from experience.

I was arrested for a DUI, while working at Target. I missed half the week of Black Friday as a result, while a seasonal employee. I was still kept. That said, that was my second time working at the store, I imagine if it was my first time and I was "truly" a new employee I'd have been let go.

I had worked at the store for 3.5 years, started as a GSTM, promoted to GSA, then quit. Came back 3ish years later, and about a month after starting got a DUI arrest. Every TL and ETL in the store was new at that point aside from the Closing TL. By new I mean they had not worked at the store the first time I worked there so they didn't really know much about me aside from that I was a former employee. I anticipated being let go given the timing, both in that I was "new", and because it resulted in me missing a week or so in the busiest time of the year, but I wasn't. That's why I found it surprising to hear that others were let go for DUI arrests.

Last edited:
Isn't that the case for anyone who gets fired?
Not necessarily. It's quite possible that Target offered the termed ETL a severance package, with "strings attached" in the form of a written settlement agreement. Assuming that the ETL accepted the severance package, those settlement agreements often include signing away their right to sue Target, along with a non-disparagement clause ("gag order"), non-disclosure clause, and other provisions to keep the terms confidential. If Target were to learn that the former ETL somehow violated the settlement agreement, they can demand the severance money be paid back in full. In other words, a severance package is "hush money".

Back