Receipt ID

A few times I've needed to return something I only have the 16 digit receipt number for.

The register needs the full 18 digit number however.

Target Team Member Helpline has helped me find these missing digits before.

What does the first digit and last digit stand for or do and why is it omitted on receipt viewer?

Years ago I figured out everything except for the last digit. Maybe it is just a random number to add a small level of security to it, but I really don't know. The first number is a 2 for regular transactions.

Years ago I figured out everything except for the last digit. Maybe it is just a random number to add a small level of security to it, but I really don't know. The first number is a 2 for regular transactions.
It’s a security number you won’t ever figure it out. They have to use receipt viewer original receipt or try to guess the last one. It does get flagged when a team member scans or enters a receipt number with the wrong security digit a couple times to prevent scams.

on receipt viewer, click view original receipt, and scroll down. that will show the full receipt number and allow you to print the original receipt with barcode
If I'm so lucky the guest is within 30 days of purchase, after that original receipt doesn't exist.
It’s a security number you won’t ever figure it out. They have to use receipt viewer original receipt or try to guess the last one. It does get flagged when a team member scans or enters a receipt number with the wrong security digit a couple times to prevent scams.
I'm just curious how HQ was able to give me the security number since it was beyond the 30days of the original receipt being saved.

If I'm so lucky the guest is within 30 days of purchase, after that original receipt doesn't exist.

I'm just curious how HQ was able to give me the security number since it was beyond the 30days of the original receipt being saved.
They can see receipts for longer.

why are you pulling receipts after 30 days? Use the guests card or if they don’t have it, no receipt return.

They can see receipts for longer.

why are you pulling receipts after 30 days? Use the guests card or if they don’t have it, no receipt return. There’s a reason we have the 30 day time limit
It was a very specific case that made me think of it. Was a disabled guest who lost their receipt, paid cash and ID return wouldn't work because of the dollar value. Guest relations sent them their receipt but they only gave them the 16 digits. They were patient while I called again for assistance to get the full 18.

The last digit indicates the type of receipt - at least it USED to - original receipt vs gift receipt.

The last digit is a checksum (a secret mathematical formula the developer puts the other numbers through to generate a single digit answer).
If the digit at the end does not calculate with the formula in reverse to generate the rest of the receipt number, it won’t “check” out and the system would know you did something wrong.

That being said, since you know the first number of the receipt must be 2 for all regular receipts, you can try all integers 0 to 9 as the last digit until it goes through.

While, admittedly, that’s 10 long series of numbers you have to type, it’s sometimes easier than navigating Receipt Viewer with its wonky, not-at-all-myDevice-friendly interface or walking to TMSC and going through the motions there.

Back